Need advice on custom in ear monitors

Reindeer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Am currently looking for a CIEM right now.

Preferably something that sounds like a UE-900 or Shure se-535/se-846.

Anyone have any recommendations?

racoiaw

Reaction score
You are looking for something with lush mids and good extensions on high and lows? Slightly warm?

What's the budget?

Aegis_Yeo

Reaction score
Am currently looking for a CIEM right now.

Preferably something that sounds like a UE-900 or Shure se-535/se-846.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Please tell us a budget so we can recommend haha cos there's a wide scope to look at.

TeamStereo

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi TS, we have the range of products from Unique Melody if possible do drop by and give them a try with the audition units at both outlets. :)

Airekris

Reaction score
Actually what I would ask you is why do you want a CIEM? Does a universal IEM not satisfy your needs? Is the sound signature of a universal not to your liking? Or simply you just want to try something new.

Coz knowing such things can save you alot of money. Coz CIEMs have very high depreciation rate and if u dont mind the fit and sound signature of the UE900 might as well just hoot the UE900 which is cheaper instead of spending your money on a CIEM.

Guan22

Master Member
Reaction score
Actually what I would ask you is why do you want a CIEM? Does a universal IEM not satisfy your needs? Is the sound signature of a universal not to your liking? Or simply you just want to try something new.

Coz knowing such things can save you alot of money. Coz CIEMs have very high depreciation rate and if u dont mind the fit and sound signature of the UE900 might as well just hoot the UE900 which is cheaper instead of spending your money on a CIEM.

That is the best advice I've seen someone give yet
Kudos to u man

Reindeer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Budget isn't really a factor, i'm looking more towards something that really wows me and can last me for a long time (don't think i'll be upgrading any more after this one)

Reindeer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your budget & genre preference?

kind of listen to a little of everything from metal and rock, to classical, to jazz, blues, pop, electronic etc :o

what are the advantages of customs over universals? :s11:

i have never tried them so I don't really know how different it is from universals.

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Budget isn't really a factor, i'm looking more towards something that really wows me and can last me for a long time (don't think i'll be upgrading any more after this one)
Go to the coming Mook and try all the ciems there and decide yourself.

Wow is very subjective to individual.

racoiaw

Reaction score
sometimes it's best not to rush but go up slowly so that you are able to appreciate more on what you are getting.

a ciem basically gives alot more comfort and isolation compared to a universal, but have to take in factors whther you can get a good fit, the hassle of getting impressions and the ordering process itself etc.

Sure you can let stores like stereo or dealers like treoo and null audio handle the logistics but there's also the waiting time to think about. universals are also much easier to let go if one day you decide to.

BUT if you have already decided on getting a ciem, i guess the classic like es5, c435 would be a good start

Jeremy1

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
kind of listen to a little of everything from metal and rock, to classical, to jazz, blues, pop, electronic etc :o

i have never tried them so I don't really know how different it is from universals.

Custom - Bette fit and isolation but hard to sell so prepare to use it for life.............................:s13:

Universal - Fit wise not so good but much easier to sell if there is a demand there.

:)

Aegis_Yeo

Reaction score
Custom - Bette fit and isolation but hard to sell so prepare to use it for life.............................:s13:

Universal - Fit wise not so good but much easier to sell if there is a demand there.

:)

Adding on in theory ciem will sound way better than their demo versions which are in universal form.

Airekris

Reaction score

CIEM provides the user a perfect fitting IEM thus improved music isolation and comfort.

However this does not mean that Universals are not comfortable or provides the wanted isolation. I have even heard of some bros here dropping back to universals after going customs. This is very subjective from person to person. Try the universals first and see if the isolation and comfort suits you if it does no then consider customs.

Having a CIEM does not mean better sounding music. Its more of YOUR preference. Dont get dragged into the whole CIEM purchase blackhole. I can bet with you some people here just buy CIEMs because a friend or someone just told them that CIEM = better sound or just for the fact its something different from other giving them braggin rights. Don't listen to all that trash, go with what sounds right and feels right to you.

Last edited:

Airekris

Reaction score
Adding on in theory ciem will sound way better than their demo versions which are in universal form.

Your take on the matter is like saying that if I became a property agent ill make more money.

This is a very flawed theory. I can also say that once the CIEM is made to custom, the sound signature has changed that I dont like it.

Aegis_Yeo

Reaction score
Your take on the matter is like saying that if I became a property agent ill make more money.

This is a very flawed theory. I can also say that once the CIEM is made to custom, the sound signature has changed that I dont like it.

You may say that but in that context, you're a property agent hence you will find ways to make money. Otherwise what for continue working as one?

Either way everyone has their own opinons on customs. And when I say customs, I don't mean reshell.

Aegis_Yeo

Reaction score
I think there are more disadvantages than advantages. LOL Unless you cash rich pay for rush order. a typical ciem order can take 2 months.

After a long, and sometimes angry wait, the ciem might come with poor fitting. and the shiit goes again. redo ear impression, shipping, waiting, more du lan emails will be exchanged.

The only advantage i find is the noise isolation. when you're taking the mrt or walking on the streets you don't really hear much noise. that is something universal cannot achieve even with comply foam tips.

As for sound quality.. snake oil la. it might sound better than universal fit but there is no 2X or 3X jump. haha don't flame me prist. This is my personal view from listening to my Senn HD800 and my Quad driver ciem.

Nah it's ok man to voice your views. I do agree with you to an extent but I'm still on ciem side. Btw may I know what quad driver ciem are you using?:)

racoiaw

Reaction score
The isolation and comfort is unparalleled. Wearing my ciem on the mrt, all the noises except the loudest announcements are shut out. And I usually play my music at low volumes

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.