Need advise on what to get

lunatic_tokyo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I manage to inherit a set of Beyer DT880(250ohm) + Original Master Amp from family. Currently running music with laptop + Creative T3 speakers + UE SuperFi 5 + Klipsch Reference One (hardly used)

Most files are in FLAC, ALAC and CDs ripped WMA.

Wondering with the given set, should I get a JDS ODAC to pair with it for home usage ? Technical specs seem alright.

I have tried ODAC + O2 combination before and kind of like the combi but never with DT880 before.

Appreciate if someone can recommend DAC for the inherited set and where can I get JDS ODAC if possible.

Thank you!

xuan87

Reaction score
Looks like a decent DAC is the only missing link in your set up. You may also want to consider getting a new amp to replace your original master amp, but I'm not familiar with that amp and your budget.

So assuming you only have budget for an ODAC, there are some options.

1) Locally, you can get the ODAC from Treoo. Alternatively, you can get it directly from JDS Labs. The benefits of the second option is possibly cheaper total cost and free engraving.

2) There are few alternatives to ODAC at that price point and the only one I can think of is the Schiit Modi. Cost is considered entry level but performance is not.

These are the two brands that I trust (I have the ODAC and O2 combo hooked up now) and you can audition the Schiit products at E1. There are many other cheaper options too like the FiiO range but I find their sound to be more colored than neutral so I won't get them without trying them.

weng

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
JDS can check out connectIT. think they are carrying? otherwise gotta order direct and ship to sg.

sound wise i duno liao. gotta see your preference. my guess is the odac may be abit dry and aggressive for the dt880 which is already a rather analytical/dry/cold/clinical/whatever phones. but also duno how your amp sounds like. may want to check out odac against some of the more warmish/easygoing dacs.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.