HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Question: Does a built-in inline microphone work on laptop?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #1

Question: Does a built-in inline microphone work on laptop?

Hello,

I'm considering the bose soundtrue around ears and I'm just wondering if the microphone would work with my Asus UX305?

I read somewhere that these in-built microphones only work for phones/tablets and I'm not too sure about that. Because the Apple earpiece works fine as a earpiece and a microphone.

Please shed some insight!

Thank you so much.
cahsaiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #2

Hello,

I'm considering the bose soundtrue around ears and I'm just wondering if the microphone would work with my Asus UX305?

I read somewhere that these in-built microphones only work for phones/tablets and I'm not too sure about that. Because the Apple earpiece works fine as a earpiece and a microphone.

Please shed some insight!

Thank you so much.
I assume this is the UX305 you refer to
https://www.asus.com/sg/Commercial-N...pecifications/

Notice in the specs, one of the I/O ports listed is

1 x Microphone-in/Headphone-out jack

This refers to a headphone/mic combo port, this means its a single audio port that can accept the 4-pole connector of headphones with inline mics

comparison of the 3-pole vs 4-pole 3.5mm plug. Your headset with mic will also be using the 4-pole connector

A lot of desktop PCs still use the traditional separate headphone (aka line out) and mic ports (green and pink respectively) and so to use those types of headsets will need an adapter

However in ultrabooks like the Asus model you mentioned, these days it has become a common trend to use the single combo port that is featured on smartphones to save space on the ultrabook, and also because a lot of headsets these days also use just a single connector and not a split connector.

Laptops that use the combo port will be able to accomodate the headset the same way a smartphone can. The only thing that won't work are the inline remote buttons, but the mic itself will work.

Last edited by chiaRH; 22-06-2016 at 10:28 PM..
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.