HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Recommend me overear earphones~~~

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2017, 09:25 AM   #16

You can try Valentine Music Centre. I went to the one located at Race Course. Super friendly people there even serving drinks as you enjoy listening to the many headphones that you want to test.

Also, if you are thinking of going for what is recommended by others, I will say it is really best to sit down and really listen to the headphones yourself. We all have our own taste and for me personally, I can't stand Sennheiser's. There is this airy sound to it that just turns me off. Not sure about Audio Technica but I personally went for Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. All the sound from highs mids to lows are crystal clear and the bass is controllable by making the headphone slightly more open or close with the slider. Yup. It can even be an open or closed headphone at will.
I use it for games to track enemy footsteps and even for music and videos. It is really a good piece of headphone out of the sadly many collections of headphones and amps that I have at home.

But my recommendation is to really test out the different brands. Have a few high quality songs with high bitrate in your phone to really put the headphones to the test and just take your time. No pressure.

Also for cables, I recommend getting the V-Moda Audio Only Cable. It is one heck of a military grade earphone cable that can be plugged to any headphones that have a removable cable. It is like $8 I think. But you will not get those cable problems such as loud 'kkrrrkkk' sound that you get over time when the cable moves and any left or right side cannot hear out of a sudden because of a faulty cable. I've had this cable for a while and it is not only super light and soft and won't weigh you down like some default cables that you get with headphones but it can definitely last you a long time without any issues. Highly recommended to get. As far as I know, only Valentine's Music Store has it. I contacted so many shops including Stereo and none of them carries this except for VMS.

Have a good experience and I think we all look forward to your final outcome for your adventure to a good headphone experience. If the ATH turns out great for you when you compare with Beyerdynamic, do tell me! I might just want to give the headphones a try as well if that's the case.
thanks for the recommendation! the cable recommendation really make sense. i experience that alot even on normal earphones.. willl add that to my list when shopping
~Dragonite~ likes this.
winter_lai_liao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #17

the title of this thread reads "Recommend me overear earphones"
Lol I'm not even mad bro, if he wants an iem I would recommend the LS200 as well
haha , it was a misleading title, i was open to both in ear earphones and over ear headphones
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 17-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #18

Lol I'm not even mad bro, if he wants an iem I would recommend the LS200 as well
sorry, wrong emo ... don't mean to be mad
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Seth Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 11:48 AM   #19
Master Member

Anywhere to get a more reasonably priced V Moda M100?
~Dragonite~ likes this.
OceanEleven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #20

couldnt go to stereo shop, but tried out some headphones at challenger(JBL marshalls etc) what dawned on me is comfort. big ear cups are a must now, one that can last hours of wearing wihtout too much discomfort...

Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 seems like some nice comfy headphones.. slightly over budget though, anyone can weigh in on this?

still going to try the ones mentioned earlier when i hhave the chance
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 19-06-2017, 10:42 AM   #21

For closed type, try the ATH-M40x/ATH-M50x.. open air type.. Philips SHP9500..

Creative Aurvana Gold . note, this is preferred if you have a smaller head as it is uncomfortable when wearing.. but sound quality is good.. Buy only when creative has a sale.. Why I recommend? Can be bluetooth, can be wired.. has noise cancelling..
The Audio Technica ATH-M50x at below $200, it's definitely a value for money, high performance headphone.
~Dragonite~ likes this.

Last edited by smhousefly; 19-06-2017 at 10:45 AM..
smhousefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 03:15 PM   #22

The Audio Technica ATH-M50x at below $200, it's definitely a value for money, high performance headphone.
wow seems like this M50x has alot of good reviews too, and it looks really bang for buck at below $200! gonna go compare this when i go down to the shop. may just get this if the comfort lvl suits me
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 20-06-2017, 04:36 AM   #23

wow seems like this M50x has alot of good reviews too, and it looks really bang for buck at below $200! gonna go compare this when i go down to the shop. may just get this if the comfort lvl suits me
If comfort is important to you, I'd suggest against it, unless you're in aircon 24/7. Even so, the clamp is pretty tight unless you stretch it out and loosen it. If you're going to try the m50x, try the m40x as well. Cheaper price point with more neutral sound and slightly wider soundstage. If you want fun and albeit fatigueing/sibilant sound, you can go ahead with the m50x. But you should compare prices online first; some places sell cheaper.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
xDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 06:21 AM   #24

If comfort is important to you, I'd suggest against it, unless you're in aircon 24/7. Even so, the clamp is pretty tight unless you stretch it out and loosen it. If you're going to try the m50x, try the m40x as well. Cheaper price point with more neutral sound and slightly wider soundstage. If you want fun and albeit fatigueing/sibilant sound, you can go ahead with the m50x. But you should compare prices online first; some places sell cheaper.
Stereo sg in Plaza Sing had a good deal but out of stock when i checked last Sunday. Amazon selling US$129. Free international shipping above $125.

You can even buy replacement ear cups/foams in amazon to make it comfortable.. quite good mods around for the ATX M40/50's
~Dragonite~ likes this.

Last edited by Jamesky; 20-06-2017 at 06:25 AM..
Jamesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #25

yea MX 50 abit clampy when i tried, it felt really uncomfortable. would probably need something that feels less clampy. HD 599 is kinda tight for me too, i have quite a small head though haha. will be heading to stereo PS next week to try out. the staff at vivo is friendly and knowledgable
~Dragonite~ likes this.

Last edited by winter_lai_liao; 20-06-2017 at 10:22 AM..
Old 20-06-2017, 03:18 PM   #26

yea MX 50 abit clampy when i tried, it felt really uncomfortable. would probably need something that feels less clampy. HD 599 is kinda tight for me too, i have quite a small head though haha. will be heading to stereo PS next week to try out. the staff at vivo is friendly and knowledgable
it clampy cos of the leather pad
~Dragonite~ likes this.
liewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #27

If you have a small head, try the r70x. And it's super lightweight so it might be more comfortable for you for longer sessions.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
xDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.