HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Sony unveils WF-1000XM3 truly wireless noise-cancelling earbuds

Like Tree77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #31

It doesn't support multipoint connection as stated in their helpguide (Provided by Sony) regarding WF-1000XM3 in Precautions section!
Thank you. Iíll skip this then. Was disappointed with the Sennheiser True Wireless as it did not have multipoint connection too. Was hoping Sony would support.
psx_999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #32

I see people sweating out in gyms wearing AirPods.

I donít see a reason why the Sony canít do that.

Anyway, can preorder at Q10 at $309.
inmyopinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #33
Arch-Supremacy Member

I see people sweating out in gyms wearing AirPods.

I donít see a reason why the Sony canít do that.

Anyway, can preorder at Q10 at $309.
If you need sweat resistance and ANC you can try

Libratone Track Air+
Apparatus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:54 PM   #34
Master Member

Here are my initial thoughts after using it for an hour or two. I bought this because of the ANC, true wireless and Sony sound.

Noise cancellation - Very good. I compared this with the QC20. The QC20 is good at reducing low frequency sound like engine noise, but it does not do a good job at reducing the sound of people taking. With this earphones, it does a good job at reducing noise from both ends of the spectrum. The sound of people talking was reduced dramatically relative to the QC20. With low frequency noise, the QC20 was fractionally better. Roadside noise was significantly reduced although not totally when standing on a pavement. I think Sony really delivered on noise cancellation.

Blinking LEDs - I don't know the rationale behind the blinking LEDs when the earbuds are in use. When I use it at night, anyone and everyone will notice the two blinking LEDs. Sony should offer the option of stopping the LEDs from blinking when the buds are in use.

Sound - Source is ALAC files converted from AIFF files i.e. CD quality. Typical Sony kind of sound i.e. controlled bass. Definitely nowhere near $300+ Sony wired earphones standard, but very good considering it is AAC. I could not quite tell the difference with and without DSEE HX. My head tells me it sounds better with it turned on, but that might just be me being aware that it should sound better as opposed to actually hearing a discernible difference.

Fit - Very good for a earbud that sticks out. The extra bump helps as it allows the earbud to rest on the ear so I don't get the feeling that it will fall out. I used the largest silicon tip as the smaller sized ones did not provide any seal. As a guide, the largest tip feels a little larger than the L sized Sony silicon tips (light green) in terms of diameter and is definitely longer. I replaced it with the L sized silicon tips and the earbuds still fit. Comfort will depend on the shape of the ear so you will need to teat this out yourself.

Looks - It sticks out. It looks like bluetooth earphones from 10 years ago or longer, not the stealthy earbuds that are buried into the ear.

Call quality - Have not tested it. Will try doing it over the weekend.

Connection - Have not experienced dropping connections. I used this with an iPhone 8 plus. Need to test in crowded places.

I think it is fair to mention the following at this juncture.

1. If one is not looking for ANC, this is NOT the earphones for you. The money can be spent elsewhere.

2. If one is looking for earphones for sports, this is not for you, not because it is not IPX4 rated, just that I don't think it will be secure enough.

3. If one needs to look cool, look else where. The blinking LEDs and the way it sticks out looks totally UNCLE. I can carry that look so it is still alright for me.

4. If one is looking for ANC above all else, you can consider this. Not all ANC is the same, we see that even with wired earphones. The QC20 stands above all, and this earphones is comparable. Because ANC works well to reduce sound of people talking, I think this is pretty good for office use.

These are just my initial thoughts. Sorry, cannot be more technical about it as I only have a Primary 6 vocabulary.
parchiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 12:53 AM   #35
Master Member

got my set today. I like it quite a bit, but the call quality really CMI. Need to yell for the other party to even hear you
Old 13-07-2019, 12:55 AM   #36

Do you have the initial model? I tried the demo today with my iPhone but the sound cmi. Dunno is it because I go open my Bluetooth and the thing Siao Liao
zenical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 01:27 AM   #37

Is there any video sync issue with this model? I had the first and second Sony TWS, totally unusable for video watching.
Shadow79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 02:43 AM   #38
Arch-Supremacy Member

Is there any video sync issue with this model? I had the first and second Sony TWS, totally unusable for video watching.
This is what I fear too. Owned the previous model n have sync issues with video.

Sent from HUAWEI Mate20 X using GAGT
lorettatay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 03:18 AM   #39

Video syncs perfectly. Tested YouTube and media player

Sephir0th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 05:45 AM   #40
Arch-Supremacy Member

Here are my initial thoughts after using it for an hour or two. I bought this because of the ANC, true wireless and Sony sound.

Noise cancellation - Very good. I compared this with the QC20. The QC20 is good at reducing low frequency sound like engine noise, but it does not do a good job at reducing the sound of people taking. With this earphones, it does a good job at reducing noise from both ends of the spectrum. The sound of people talking was reduced dramatically relative to the QC20. With low frequency noise, the QC20 was fractionally better. Roadside noise was significantly reduced although not totally when standing on a pavement. I think Sony really delivered on noise cancellation.

Blinking LEDs - I don't know the rationale behind the blinking LEDs when the earbuds are in use. When I use it at night, anyone and everyone will notice the two blinking LEDs. Sony should offer the option of stopping the LEDs from blinking when the buds are in use.

Sound - Source is ALAC files converted from AIFF files i.e. CD quality. Typical Sony kind of sound i.e. controlled bass. Definitely nowhere near $300+ Sony wired earphones standard, but very good considering it is AAC. I could not quite tell the difference with and without DSEE HX. My head tells me it sounds better with it turned on, but that might just be me being aware that it should sound better as opposed to actually hearing a discernible difference.

Fit - Very good for a earbud that sticks out. The extra bump helps as it allows the earbud to rest on the ear so I don't get the feeling that it will fall out. I used the largest silicon tip as the smaller sized ones did not provide any seal. As a guide, the largest tip feels a little larger than the L sized Sony silicon tips (light green) in terms of diameter and is definitely longer. I replaced it with the L sized silicon tips and the earbuds still fit. Comfort will depend on the shape of the ear so you will need to teat this out yourself.

Looks - It sticks out. It looks like bluetooth earphones from 10 years ago or longer, not the stealthy earbuds that are buried into the ear.

Call quality - Have not tested it. Will try doing it over the weekend.

Connection - Have not experienced dropping connections. I used this with an iPhone 8 plus. Need to test in crowded places.

I think it is fair to mention the following at this juncture.

1. If one is not looking for ANC, this is NOT the earphones for you. The money can be spent elsewhere.

2. If one is looking for earphones for sports, this is not for you, not because it is not IPX4 rated, just that I don't think it will be secure enough.

3. If one needs to look cool, look else where. The blinking LEDs and the way it sticks out looks totally UNCLE. I can carry that look so it is still alright for me.

4. If one is looking for ANC above all else, you can consider this. Not all ANC is the same, we see that even with wired earphones. The QC20 stands above all, and this earphones is comparable. Because ANC works well to reduce sound of people talking, I think this is pretty good for office use.

These are just my initial thoughts. Sorry, cannot be more technical about it as I only have a Primary 6 vocabulary.
Thanks for the review.

Do you need the Sony app to work with? How's the sound quality when using with and without the Sony app?

Because I own the Sony WH-1000XM3 headphone which runs on LDAC without installing the Sony app. I have tried installing the Sony app and it converted to using SBC codec. Can't change to LDAC after that.

It's good to have one Sony app for both Sony devices but if I install the app with the WF-1000XM3 I'm afraid the WH-1000XM3 will not work with LDAC

Thanks again

Last edited by Apparatus; 13-07-2019 at 06:04 AM..
Old 13-07-2019, 07:34 AM   #41
Master Member

Thanks for the review.

Do you need the Sony app to work with? How's the sound quality when using with and without the Sony app?

Because I own the Sony WH-1000XM3 headphone which runs on LDAC without installing the Sony app. I have tried installing the Sony app and it converted to using SBC codec. Can't change to LDAC after that.

It's good to have one Sony app for both Sony devices but if I install the app with the WF-1000XM3 I'm afraid the WH-1000XM3 will not work with LDAC

Thanks again
You will need the app to setup the earphones just once and then you do not require the app anymore. I think this is the case as I did not launch the app after the initial setup. The only downside is that you will not be able to monitor the battery life in each earbud.

I am not familiar with the LDAC issue you described. If your source has LDAC and the headphones supports LDAC, shouldnít it pair automatically via LDAC? This was my experience paring my ZX300 with the WI-1000X. I selected LDAC on the player and the earphones would pair via LDAC. With the WF-1000XM3, it pairs via SBC automatically as the player does not support AAC. On my iPhone, it connects via AAC because I selected best quality music over connection via the app.
Old 13-07-2019, 09:04 AM   #42
Arch-Supremacy Member

You will need the app to setup the earphones just once and then you do not require the app anymore. I think this is the case as I did not launch the app after the initial setup. The only downside is that you will not be able to monitor the battery life in each earbud.

I am not familiar with the LDAC issue you described. If your source has LDAC and the headphones supports LDAC, shouldnít it pair automatically via LDAC? This was my experience paring my ZX300 with the WI-1000X. I selected LDAC on the player and the earphones would pair via LDAC. With the WF-1000XM3, it pairs via SBC automatically as the player does not support AAC. On my iPhone, it connects via AAC because I selected best quality music over connection via the app.
My HW 20X supports LDAC. When connecting the Sony Wh-1000xm3 it'll auto connect using LDAC. However, when installed the Sony app it'll auto connect using SBC. There's no way to change to LDAC. This is a weakness as addressed in some youtube clips and also commented by users
Old 13-07-2019, 10:34 AM   #43
Master Member

My HW 20X supports LDAC. When connecting the Sony Wh-1000xm3 it'll auto connect using LDAC. However, when installed the Sony app it'll auto connect using SBC. There's no way to change to LDAC. This is a weakness as addressed in some youtube clips and also commented by users
If that is the case, you could try setting up the bud using someone elseís phone. Of course need to anticipate firmware upgrades so you might still need some kind of access to the app occasionally.
Old 13-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #44
Arch-Supremacy Member

If that is the case, you could try setting up the bud using someone elseís phone. Of course need to anticipate firmware upgrades so you might still need some kind of access to the app occasionally.
Thanks

I'll be going down to 313 to test out the wf1000xm3 this afternoon

If not suitable I'll wait for the Mavin AIR-ANC to be launched later this year
Old 13-07-2019, 03:16 PM   #45
Arch-Supremacy Member

OK, just tested at 313 without installing any Sony app so codec is AAC. Its ANC is great but still can hear the sound from a speaker playing loudly nearby. Comparatively, the WH-1000XM3 cuts down even more noise. Strictly speaking can't compare both since make and price are so much different.

Also, physically the buds are not so big as depicted in pictures and videos.

Well, I'll wait further for more ANC buds to be released and doing more tests before buying a pair of ANC buds

Last edited by Apparatus; 13-07-2019 at 08:36 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.