Upcoming R2R DAC: Schitt Yggdrasil

derazor

Banned
Reaction score
Quotation dated 7th April.All of these not balance right?

================================================================
(1) DIR9001+DF1700+PCM63P-K*2 + BUF03+OPA627+AD797
Paypal price $400 USD
(2) DIR9001+DF1700+PCM63P-K*4 + BUF03+OPA627+AD797
Paypal price $460 USD
(3) DIR9001+DF1700+PCM63P-K2*2 + BUF03+OPA627+AD797
Paypal price $460 USD
(4) DIR9001+DF1700+PCM63P-K2*4 + BUF03+OPA627+AD797
Paypal price $517 USD
All of the chips except dir9001 are refurbished.

dqwong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quotation dated 7th April.All of these not balance right?

================================================================
(1) DIR9001+DF1700+PCM63P-K*2 + BUF03+OPA627+AD797
Paypal price $400 USD
(2) DIR9001+DF1700+PCM63P-K*4 + BUF03+OPA627+AD797
Paypal price $460 USD
(3) DIR9001+DF1700+PCM63P-K2*2 + BUF03+OPA627+AD797
Paypal price $460 USD
(4) DIR9001+DF1700+PCM63P-K2*4 + BUF03+OPA627+AD797
Paypal price $517 USD
All of the chips except dir9001 are refurbished.

Email question to teradak best

dqwong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do I have to be too worried about the refurbished chip part?

As long as got warranty and sounds good ok liao. Maybe refurbished don't look brand new or maybe used before. But DAC chip is something that don't spoil so easily one. Infact maybe have free burn-in hour.

on another note. Just set my master 7 to 1x NOS mode, with -60db filter. It's really even more organic sound than before, but at expense of losing crystaline feel.

dqwong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most important thing to note, the designer of Yggdrasil dac(Mike Moffat) prefers the PCM63 over the PCM1704.

Even in my mid 40's, I still had the idealistic high-end attitude, kick all of the other high end pretentious ******* companies selling Jewel-encrusted over-machined arbitrary-industro neoart angular looking waaaaaay overpriced crap. I was all about making high performing products with money sunk into performance, not sculpture.

Further, in the early 1990's the DAC chip technology had peaked with the PCM63, IMHO the best fu***n audio branded DAC ever made. The new marketing direction was delta sigma DACs, which I have flamed many times before, as being bit non-perfect, full of bad math and noise glare, etc. These were proliferating, with cookbook spec sheets and reference designs published so that even non-engineers could design them.

This meant that anyone could build a DAC, and with the fall in prices on the new “audio branded, sh**ty sounding parts, that everybody and his brother were coming out with me-too DACs with no value other than cheapest. Even big audio corporations that never had built digital products were hiring dish washers and landfill workers to design DACs.

What was worse was all of the good DACs were disappearing. Even the new multibit PCM1704 DAC sounded like ass compared to the PCM63. It was time to get out of the DAC business. So I sold my portion of Theta to Neil. I decided once again what to do when I grew up – only to set myself down the most excruciating path I had traveled since Viet Nam ---

http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/sch...s-most-improbable-start-up/3330#post_10976190

xuan87

Reaction score
Taken from one of Mike's (Baldr) post:

Just for clarification: Schiit makes 4 DACs priced from $100 to $850. They all contain d-s DAC chips. There's also one for $2300 - it is multibit. To restate:

1. D-S tech is cheap and easily executable by morons. Which qualifies me at a minimum as an verify experienced moron.

2. Multibit tech with optimal DSP is expensive, requires years to execute, and not suitable for development by imbeciles.

3. Because of this slow development, Schiit would offer this tech as available to existing users of our upgradable products without screwing them. (Gungnir and Bifrost)

4. Expensive (multi-thousand $) D-S DAC design is a very poor value due to its inherent economy.

Does this mean we can expect a R2R upgrade for Bifrost and Gungnir in the future??

Emerpus

Reaction score
Taken from one of Mike's (Baldr) post:

Just for clarification: Schiit makes 4 DACs priced from $100 to $850. They all contain d-s DAC chips. There's also one for $2300 - it is multibit. To restate:

1. D-S tech is cheap and easily executable by morons. Which qualifies me at a minimum as an verify experienced moron.

2. Multibit tech with optimal DSP is expensive, requires years to execute, and not suitable for development by imbeciles.

3. Because of this slow development, Schiit would offer this tech as available to existing users of our upgradable products without screwing them. (Gungnir and Bifrost)

4. Expensive (multi-thousand $) D-S DAC design is a very poor value due to its inherent economy.

Does this mean we can expect a R2R upgrade for Bifrost and Gungnir in the future??

Yap ... but it's still vaporware at this moment ... might be ready tomorrow or in 2020 ... it's anyone's guess :D

dqwong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe they will do upgrade dac boards. However I doubt they can squeeze true 20/21bits out of the existing system framework of Gungnir and Bifrost given the new powersupply design of Yggdrasil. I might be wrong. But at least there's a chance that the closed form digital filter might get into the upgrade.

This applies to multibit A/D and D/A converters only. At the higher bit and speed levels required for audio resolution, this becomes expensive. Hence the development of “audio” parts (Sigma-Delta A/Ds and Delta-Sigma DACs). Even worse is DSD, which I have previously addressed. These are offered by all of the “audio” chip makers, complete with reference designs and “Howto” data sheets that make it possible for fourth graders to build them as class projects. They are cheap, and have resulted in digital audio technology that is nearly as universal as it is insipid. That's not to say that a builder can't add “designer” capacitors, over-designed analog sections or power supplies, fancy over-machined front panels, water-cooling, palletized delivery, jewels, etc., etc, ad nauseum. This sort of extravagance is perfect for the user who wants to invite people over to have his guests admire the piece first. Unfortunately, even though you have wrapped plastic around the vile-smelling “audio” parts, they still have the same performance stench.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/tho...t-you-to-think-about-stuff/1800#post_11022012

Last edited:

dqwong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most dacs output 2v. won't damage most iem. But software volume control affects quality

Emerpus

Reaction score
Email sent ... let's see what they say :)

Teradak replied:

"Yes, we have the product. But the product is a build to order product,
Its balance output is a pseudo balance output . That is its balance output is converted from single to balance mode."

I wonder if the pseudo balance output means the SE signal is phase split before going out of the dual 3 pin XLR output? Now waiting for pricing ...

Emerpus

Reaction score
Teradak replied:

"Yes, we have the product. But the product is a build to order product,
Its balance output is a pseudo balance output . That is its balance output is converted from single to balance mode."

I wonder if the pseudo balance output means the SE signal is phase split before going out of the dual 3 pin XLR output? Now waiting for pricing ...

Latest quotation:

so internally the DAC operates in SE and outputs via XLR through a phase splitter? Correct? <== Yes

DIR9001+DF1700+PCM63P-K2*4 + BUF03+OPA627+AD797 price is $506 USD.
options:
(1) balance output : add $25 USD
(2) USB input : add 25 USD

The shipping fee to Singapore is $85 USD.

derazor

Banned
Reaction score
Latest quotation:

so internally the DAC operates in SE and outputs via XLR through a phase splitter? Correct? <== Yes

DIR9001+DF1700+PCM63P-K2*4 + BUF03+OPA627+AD797 price is $506 USD.
options:
(1) balance output : add $25 USD
(2) USB input : add 25 USD

The shipping fee to Singapore is $85 USD.

Can do at least 2496 for USB ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.