HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Upgrading earphones

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #1

Upgrading earphones help

I am currently using creative ep 830 (got it free with zen x-fi, retail price was $79) together with my ipod touch. The straight cable end broke a little (able to form a L easily) plus I am not too keen on the microphonics that occurs when the cable bounce against my clothes when walking. Otherwise, there really isn't anything wrong with it. But I am thinking of upgrading to a pair of in-ears that are better.

Currently, I am eyeing the monster ibeats (retailing at $210). I think it looks nice so that a win factor but can anyone tell me how it does compared to ep 830? Or perhaps recommend a pair? I tend to listen to rock and some pop.

PS: Is there any pair of earphones at all that don't have microphonics? I am an amateur at these stuff.

Last edited by rambell; 07-03-2011 at 12:17 PM..
rambell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

get monster turbine would be better.

u could get it @ roughly $120 from marketplace in hwz
or
amazon.com @ USD 74
sglords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #3

ibeats sound worse than the ep830 you're using.
monster turbine does have microphonics unless worn over the ear...
how about any westone or earsonic earphones? very comfortable and no microphonics
-Sora- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #4

how about any westone or earsonic earphones? very comfortable and no microphonics
Can i ask how I know that im suffering from microphonic issue with my IEMs? How does it sound like
Old 07-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #5

Can i ask how I know that im suffering from microphonic issue with my IEMs? How does it sound like
microphonics is just the noise u get from the cables when u are walking.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #6

"Microphonics describes the phenomenon where certain components in electronic devices transform mechanical vibrations into an undesired electrical signal."

For my ep830, it sounds like extra beats (echoed) whenever the cable hit/brush against my clothes. It is basically a nuisance so I have to hold the cable away while walking.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #7

Any recommendations for those westone/earsonic earphones you are talking about?
Old 07-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #8

Any recommendations for those westone/earsonic earphones you are talking about?
what is your budget? preference? more bass less bass?
http://www.stereo.com.sg/store/nav.php?cPath=209_265
http://treoo.com/store/shop-by-brand/earsonics.html

currently i use the earsonics sm3 as my primary. these are all worn over the ear, very comfortable
Old 07-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #9

what is your budget? preference? more bass less bass?
http://www.stereo.com.sg/store/nav.php?cPath=209_265
http://treoo.com/store/shop-by-brand/earsonics.html

currently i use the earsonics sm3 as my primary. these are all worn over the ear, very comfortable
*cough* *choke* *splutter* That sm3 is really costly. My budget...lets just say I am not too comfortable spending more on earphones than on my mp3. ... Not yet anyway. Let me just inch my way into being an audiophile. Perhaps a max 200.

I tend to listen to rock so more bass is good. I think my current pair has just enough bass.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

get monster turbine would be better.

u could get it @ roughly $120 from marketplace in hwz
or
amazon.com @ USD 74
amazon @ USD $74 you must camp over night and hope the lightning stuck again.

lol
lcheowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #11
Supremacy Member

"Microphonics describes the phenomenon where certain components in electronic devices transform mechanical vibrations into an undesired electrical signal."

For my ep830, it sounds like extra beats (echoed) whenever the cable hit/brush against my clothes. It is basically a nuisance so I have to hold the cable away while walking.
put the cable inside your t-shirt or use the clip come with it, it may not 100% solve the issue but it improve.

Anyways after you use for a long period of time, you will adapt to it, like nowadays, I cannot recall when is the last time I hear the microphonics sound from 2 of my IEMs.

But I know it there, 'cos it is very annoying when I first time use it.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #12

put the cable inside your t-shirt or use the clip come with it, it may not 100% solve the issue but it improve.

Anyways after you use for a long period of time, you will adapt to it, like nowadays, I cannot recall when is the last time I hear the microphonics sound from 2 of my IEMs.

But I know it there, 'cos it is very annoying when I first time use it.
A long period...is how long? I have mine for about 2 to 3 yrs. It doesn't come with a clip though, I will see if I can modify something for it. As for the cable in shirt solution, um...it will be weird ya. If you see a girl with wires coming out from her shirt, what will you think?
Old 07-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

A long period...is how long? I have mine for about 2 to 3 yrs. It doesn't come with a clip though, I will see if I can modify something for it. As for the cable in shirt solution, um...it will be weird ya. If you see a girl with wires coming out from her shirt, what will you think?
get a clip to hold on it, it will help.

how long depends on people one loh.

just that the noise is there but subconsciously, your mind choose to ignore it.

it helps if you wear jeans, keke
Old 07-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #14

for $200ish, probably a used westone w2 or a amazon tf10. Local earphone prices are really ex, I bought my SM3s for $400ish online
incongnit0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #15

it would be HOT! is what i want to say, but if its earphone anyone could tell one la....
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.