Wireless bluetooth EAR BUDS recommendations

vofzxy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which truly wireless would be good for swimming (public pool) ? I have my eyes on Jabra Elite Pro, Bragi Dash Pro and Samsung IconX (2018). However, there were some comments elsewhere that said that bluetooth connection doesnt work well under water, but those were connecting to a phone on land, but if the TWE was connected to the device underwater, would the same issue occur?

If so, i would have to narrow down to those with internal storage, namely Bragi Dash Pro and Samsung IconX. In addition, how do the sound quality between the 3 compare?

https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/walkman/nw-ws620-series

this for the pool

chenghui

Reaction score
Only bragi dash pro is good for swimming. BT does not work well in water. That is why they is 4gb build in storage for stand alone music player. Icon x and Elite pro are not certified waterproof.

Thanks for the reply! I made a mistake when typing it, I was thinking about jabra elite sport, instead of jabra elite pro. But although elite sport is waterproof, the BT will not work well underwater right? I will try out bragi dash pro, but the price is rather ex as compared to the rest, and i am not too sure about the warranty duration.

Gadgetfreakloh

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I made a mistake when typing it, I was thinking about jabra elite sport, instead of jabra elite pro. But although elite sport is waterproof, the BT will not work well underwater right? I will try out bragi dash pro, but the price is rather ex as compared to the rest, and i am not too sure about the warranty duration.

Local set 1 year warranty 1 to 1 exchange. Done that and sold off after changing to Earin M2.

doki81

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which truly wireless would be good for swimming (public pool) ? I have my eyes on Jabra Elite Pro, Bragi Dash Pro and Samsung IconX (2018). However, there were some comments elsewhere that said that bluetooth connection doesnt work well under water, but those were connecting to a phone on land, but if the TWE was connected to the device underwater, would the same issue occur?

If so, i would have to narrow down to those with internal storage, namely Bragi Dash Pro and Samsung IconX. In addition, how do the sound quality between the 3 compare?
Jabra elite pro? New product?

Sent from Samsung Exploding Not 9? using GAGT

musicsg_com

Reaction score
Thanks! I had looked at this too as a backup, since i was looking at truly wireless and wasn't too sure where i can try it out to hear the audio quality.

Many brands claim "waterproof" and they showed them putting the buds in a cup. That's fine when the seals are new and fresh. Over time, the seal will corrode and potentially damage the devices. Such IP rating is good for accidental water issues or very short term underwater exposure, like taking brief photos.

In any case, Bluetooth does not work once it goes underwater. The signal instantly cuts off the moment your ears go underwater, then gets reconnected when you resurface, not usable at all. So even if these earbuds are "waterproof", you cannot listen to music when actually swimming.

Bragi The Dash has internal memory to playback audio, hence it is the only true wireless earbuds that you can continuously listen to music when swimming.

There are a handful of wireless waterproof earphones with built-in memory, not true wireless. Sony is one of the leaders in this category. I reviewed the WS623 and quite like it. Here is an excerpt of my thoughts which I published on my blog:

Looking at my previous review notes on the WS413, the WS623 appears to have improvements over the sound quality. Unlike the neutral tuning on the WS413, the WS623 sounds clear with sufficient details and brightness. The bass is firm and not boomy, certainly not going to please bassheads. When connecting over Bluetooth, there appears to be slight shift in the frequency response downwards. In Bluetooth mode, you can control the playback and volume with the respective buttons, as well as activating ambient mode.

Sony_NW-WS623_9.jpg

And for the first time, I wore earphones for a swim, and I am loving it! Instead of hearing the swishing and swashing of waters against my ears, I get to enjoy uninterrupted music. Granted, the audio quality is not as clear due to the additional film on the swimming eartips, which makes the audio less bright.

The NW-WS623 puts some pressure against the ears to keep them from falling. As a result, it could cause discomfort to my ear canal bones after wearing for a while. Fortunately, the headset force enables me to place the earbuds just outside the ear canals loosely and continues to stay in place throughout my runs. The ambient mode does not create any excessive wind noise during runs, which is excellent.

Reference: https://musicphotolife.com/2017/08/sony-nw-ws623-review-waterproof-dustproof-walkman-bluetooth/

Last edited:

josephkjc

Reaction score
Plaza Sing Stereo has. I guess they should have them at Westgate outlet too

Finally got my elite active 65t today. Sound quality is excellent and they definitely won’t fall out of your head that easily unless you’re head banging at a death metal concert. Damn thing is the tips that come with it aren’t very comfortable. Anyone know if Westgate stereo sells comply foam tips?

ducklegsux

Reaction score
I am using the Sony Walkman for a while now, usually doing an hour of 40 laps twice a week and so far there was only one issue where there was no sound, brought it to Sony and got a 1-1 exchange within a week.

Of course don’t expect top notch sound quality.

lordleslie

Reaction score
what would you guys recommend that has:
1. active noise cancelling
2. at least 3 hours batt life
3. budget $300 and below?

The main usage for me is for the daily commute, occasional light running, on flight and once a while, PUBG Mobile

Based on reading from this thread, so far, seems like it's Jabra Elite Active 65t. Is there any other models that I might have missed out?

Last edited:

mrogerson23

Reaction score
Definitely don't buy those Bluetooth earbuds from online that are below $50. 80% chance that the quality sucks or one side does not work.

greatgreenman

Reaction score
Just want to add that the active elite 65T can crackle from lightning storms. Some infrequent crackling/brief connectivity drop when tapping ez link in buses as well.

doki81

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just want to add that the active elite 65T can crackle from lightning storms. Some infrequent crackling/brief connectivity drop when tapping ez link in buses as well.
Yes..those are quite annoying :( but the fit still good compare with other twe

Sent from Samsung Exploding Not 9? using GAGT

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I tried my xoundpods today. There is no issue of disconnection from my Sony DAP, BUT there is a bigger problem. The right side will keep losing sound while left side is fine all the way. And the funny thing is that I realise if both my hands touch the earbuds while the music is playing, it's perfectly fine liao... LOL. This is when I am walking inside a shopping mall.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

Anything_Whatever

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I tried my xoundpods today. There is no issue of disconnection from my Sony DAP, BUT there is a bigger problem. The right side will keep losing sound while left side is fine all the way. And the funny thing is that I realise if both my hands touch the earbuds while the music is playing, it's perfectly fine liao... LOL. This is when I am walking inside a shopping mall.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

Wa... new technology... wireless handheld ear buds!:eek:

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wa... new technology... wireless handheld ear buds!:eek:

haha i was amused too. My initial thoughts are my hands actually acting as "antenna" for the earbuds. WTH.

Today i tried them again, this time while i used both hands to hold the earbuds which got tired, i gave the right side a few tug and push. For some reason when the earbud reach certain angle, there is no more distortion. Letting go both my hands, no distortion which i experienced yesterday. I was walking on the streets, took DTL, EW line, bus, no drops at all.

So I am now guessing its the angle the earbuds sit inside the ear will make the difference.

dawo5010

Reaction score
haha i was amused too. My initial thoughts are my hands actually acting as "antenna" for the earbuds. WTH.

Today i tried them again, this time while i used both hands to hold the earbuds which got tired, i gave the right side a few tug and push. For some reason when the earbud reach certain angle, there is no more distortion. Letting go both my hands, no distortion which i experienced yesterday. I was walking on the streets, took DTL, EW line, bus, no drops at all.

So I am now guessing its the angle the earbuds sit inside the ear will make the difference.

Yep, been wearing these for the third week now and the angle by which I place them in my ear has an impact on signal for me. Sometimes to solve reception issues I'll just re-wear them.

To follow up on my previous posts: I still encounter the least reception issues when using it with an iPhone (very rarely does it drop, recovers quickly) but when I'm using it with my Windows tablet or Android phone you can sort of tilt your head slowly and see which angles the Xoundpods will recover or struggle at haha.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.