HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Fan Club] LCHF Lifestyle - Part 3

Like Tree2030Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #2506
Supremacy Member

8 hours because the fat is chopped up into rather big cubes. best if you get the butcher to mince the fat so that surface area is smaller which will make it much faster for the oil to come out.

you can do it in the oven too but not very advisable cos you can't see it much. as you have to stir every now and then, doing so with the oven method will be quite troublesome.
That's a good point... hmmmmm
Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #2507
Arch-Supremacy Member

wah rao! early morning see bacon... am sho jelly.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #2508
Supremacy Member

Good morning butties!

wahahahahah
damn drama leh you
to be honest, i'm not a huge fan of masterchef
i love to watch cooking shows, so I end up being hooked on food network asia & asian food channel... but I watch programs like Top Chef, Iron Chef America and Diners, Drive Ins & Dives Then I sneak onto youtube to watch Hell's Kitchen & Kitchen Nightmares

Ah that's a very good point bro... but for noobs like me, I really have to follow recipes because I rarely cook!

Take the steak for example - it's actually grass fed Australian beef bought from QB foods. Paid around $80 for the entire slab of beef, nicely cut into 1 1/2 inch thick steaks and then vacuum packed into packets of 2 steaks each (so I ended up 12 pieces of 1 1/2 inch steaks and some bits and pieces for my dog for $80).

That's why based on the size, I thought can just blindly follow the ang moh recipes for medium rare steak. Popped it into the pre-heated oven for 6 minutes @ 225 degrees. Took it out, let it rest and was expecting a nice pink centre...but when i realised it was too well done, sibeh disappointed.
i think dont have to put inside the oven if you are looking for medium rare. just pan sear, for 1-2 mins flip over and sear it again for 1-2 mins. it should work.
because i did it to my pork and its too raw for a pork thou hahaha.
ahhh.. i like masterchef aussie ver. bcos the contestants are too sweet and kind!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #2509

8 hours because the fat is chopped up into rather big cubes. best if you get the butcher to mince the fat so that surface area is smaller which will make it much faster for the oil to come out.

you can do it in the oven too but not very advisable cos you can't see it much. as you have to stir every now and then, doing so with the oven method will be quite troublesome.
you sound like the blog owner...
Eien_kisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #2510
Supremacy Member

wah rao! early morning see bacon... am sho jelly.
mai jelly lah
next time i prepare extra and pass u 2 rashers - swee boh?

i think dont have to put inside the oven if you are looking for medium rare. just pan sear, for 1-2 mins flip over and sear it again for 1-2 mins. it should work.
because i did it to my pork and its too raw for a pork thou hahaha.
ahhh.. i like masterchef aussie ver. bcos the contestants are too sweet and kind!
interesting...
initially i was thinking of just putting it in the oven for 4 minutes instead of 6 (trial and error)

because what i did previously was to pan sear the first side for 2 minutes and then flipped the steak over to sear the other side for another minute (i read online that the other side should be half the time dedicated the side that was first seared) before chucking the whole pan into the oven (225 degrees, 6 mins) and then letting it rest for 5-10 minutes under aluminium foil at the end.

paiseh, the photo is blurry:

That's why I thought maybe I should do some trial and error and cut the oven time to 4 minutes. (the wife doesn't like it medium rare while I like mine bloody so am trying to find a happy medium)

i think just relying on pan searing might result in it being a bit too rare... although hey, like I said, I'm the noob here so I might be totally wrong!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #2511
Supremacy Member

mai jelly lah
next time i prepare extra and pass u 2 rashers - swee boh?

interesting...
initially i was thinking of just putting it in the oven for 4 minutes instead of 6 (trial and error)

because what i did previously was to pan sear the first side for 2 minutes and then flipped the steak over to sear the other side for another minute (i read online that the other side should be half the time dedicated the side that was first seared) before chucking the whole pan into the oven (225 degrees, 6 mins) and then letting it rest for 5-10 minutes under aluminium foil at the end.

paiseh, the photo is blurry:

That's why I thought maybe I should do some trial and error and cut the oven time to 4 minutes. (the wife doesn't like it medium rare while I like mine bloody so am trying to find a happy medium)

i think just relying on pan searing might result in it being a bit too rare... although hey, like I said, I'm the noob here so I might be totally wrong!
hmm.. you can give it try, but dont take my word for it bcos i nv cook beef before hahahaha.
usually i set my oven heat to 180-200 degrees. seldom set till so high.
i dont take too much notice of time required, i just cook base on my feelings
kenmura likes this.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #2512
Supremacy Member

btw my colleague just told me, dont take too much dairy product, because each time we milk the cow, we are forcing it to get pregnant. and deprive the calf from the mother's milk also? is this true??
Old 02-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #2513
Supremacy Member

hmm.. you can give it try, but dont take my word for it bcos i nv cook beef before hahahaha.
korkor so pro... ...
noobs like me even put the iphone next to me to make sure that the recipe is always on hand for quick reference
Old 02-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #2514
Supremacy Member

All the ppl muscle big big.
My 2014 goal is just to be able to do 1 normal pull up...
Hahaha.
starfish.starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #2515
Supremacy Member

btw my colleague just told me, dont take too much dairy product, because each time we milk the cow, we are forcing it to get pregnant. and deprive the calf from the mother's milk also? is this true??
Dunno true or not, but if following this line of thought means need to be vegan since jiak meat means animals will die...

I love my cuppucino & steak too much, unfortunately.
starfish.starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #2516
Supremacy Member

korkor so pro... ...
noobs like me even put the iphone next to me to make sure that the recipe is always on hand for quick reference
haha no pro leh. im just not very good in following instructions
Old 02-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #2517

only damn thick cut in oven... beef rib or whole roast need.

cos after you sear.. the heat from the outside of the steak is still cooking the inside of the steak.. then continue cooking in the oven.

for thin cuts at home, you can flip on the pan every 15 seconds, or use a blowtorch:
Eien_kisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #2518
Honorary Member

All the ppl muscle big big.
My 2014 goal is just to be able to do 1 normal pull up...
Hahaha.
me maintain at 6-7
pass ippt is ke yi ~
[B]鄭秀妍[/B]-具荷拉-[B]李居麗[/B]-李玟暎-[B]全智允[/B]-金正雅-[B]金多絮[/B]-姜珉耿
吳勝雅-[B]鄭荷娜[/B]-李勝兒-[B]刘雅拉[/B]-宋茜-[B]朴山达拉[/B]-李太允-[b]申智秀[/B]-[b]洪真英[/B][/CENTER]
woota08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #2519
Supremacy Member

Dunno true or not, but if following this line of thought means need to be vegan since jiak meat means animals will die...

I love my cuppucino & steak too much, unfortunately.
vegan eat too much plants 1 day the earth also will have shortage 1
Eien_kisu likes this.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #2520
Supremacy Member

only damn thick cut in oven... beef rib or whole roast need.

cos after you sear.. the heat from the outside of the steak is still cooking the inside of the steak.. then continue cooking in the oven.

for thin cuts at home, you can flip on the pan every 15 seconds, or use a blowtorch:
Now even got blowtorch coming out...
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.