High Supremacy Member

Bacon - enuff said
Old 06-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #122
Arch-Supremacy Member

😱 come in immediately see food
speed4500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #123
High Supremacy Member

BMJ article says: Low saturated fat diets don't curb heart disease risk or help you live longer

Dietary advice to switch sat fats to carbs or omega 6 fats based on flawed data, says expert

Diets low in saturated fat don't curb heart disease risk or help you live longer, says a leading US cardiovascular research scientist and doctor of pharmacy in an editorial in the open access journal Open Heart.

And current dietary advice to replace saturated fats with carbohydrates or omega 6-rich polyunsaturated fats is based on flawed and incomplete data from the 1950s, argues Dr James DiNicolantonio.

Dietary guidelines should be urgently reviewed and the vilification of saturated fats stopped to save lives, he insists.

DiNicolantonio points out that the demonisation of saturated fats dates back to 1952, when research suggested a link between high dietary saturated fat intake and deaths from heart disease.

But the study author drew his conclusions on data from six countries, choosing to ignore the data from a further 16, which didn't fit with his hypothesis, and which subsequent analysis of all 22 countries' data, disproved, says DiNicolantonio.

Nevertheless, the bad boy image stuck, particularly after US President Eisenhower had a heart attack in his 50s, points out DiNicolantonio in an accompanying podcast.

And it prompted the belief that since these fats increase total cholesterol—a flawed theory in itself, says DiNicolantonio— they must also increase heart disease risk. And as foodstuffs with the highest calorie density, the thinking was that reduced intake would naturally curb obesity, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome.

But the evidence, which continues to mount, suggests otherwise, he says.

There is now a strong argument in favour of the consumption of refined carbohydrates as the causative dietary factor behind the surge in obesity and diabetes in the US, he says.

And while a low fat diet may lower 'bad' (LDL) cholesterol, there are two types of LDL cholesterol. And switching to carbs may increase pattern B (small dense) LDL, which is more harmful to heart health than pattern A (large buoyant) LDL, as well as creating a more unfavourable overall lipid profile, he says.

Furthermore, several other studies indicate that a low carb diet is better for weight loss and lipid profile than a low fat diet, while large observational studies have not found any conclusive proof that a low fat diet cuts cardiovascular disease risk, he says.

But in the race to cut saturated fat intake, several dietary guidelines recommend upping polyunsaturated fat intake.

However, a recent analysis of published trial data shows that replacing saturated fats and trans fatty acids with omega 6 fatty acids, without a corresponding rise in omega 3 fatty acids, seems to increase the risk of death from coronary heart and cardiovascular diseases.

"We need a public health campaign as strong as the one we had in the 70s and 80s demonising saturated fats, to say that we got it wrong," urges DiNicolantonio in the podcast.

The best diet to boost and maintain heart health is one low in refined carbohydrates, sugars and processed foods, he recommends.

And anyone who has had a heart attack should not be thinking of replacing saturated fats with refined carbs or omega 6 fatty acids—particularly those found in processed vegetable oils containing large amounts of corn or safflower oil, he says.

SuppVersity - Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone based on press release from the British Medica Journal

Reference: The cardiometabolic consequences of replacing saturated fats with carbohydrates or omega 6 polyunsaturated fats: Do the dietary guidelines have it wrong? Doi 10.1136/openhrt-2013-000032]
Old 06-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #124

In small amounts ok bah...

There is the ideal and there is reality
well said, wise words.

we live in this world, live it the best we can, with the nature's resources.
Eien_kisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #125

No difference from the Chinese who eat "fan chiong"

It seems that we don't understand a lot about our gut bacteria and the relationship with our health...

Increasingly, more studies are being made on sh1t transplant (literally) to boost a sick person's gut bacteria...

Seems like our ancestors really do know a thing or two about good health
ya the way our traditional chinese medicine ancestors test herbs/medicine on themselves first says alot about their selflessness, wisdom and courage.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #126

isabella, where the hell you find time to prepare breakfast and lunch before work

I usually throw butter, crack 3-4eggs, low heat and make sunny side up for bf... while i brush and bathe T_T
whiteman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #127
Banned

real men dont eat breakfast.

sobs
aaur4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #128
High Supremacy Member

Intermittent Fasting and the Meal Frequency Fallacy | Fat-Burning Man
twinings likes this.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:09 AM   #129
High Supremacy Member

well said, wise words.

we live in this world, live it the best we can, with the nature's resources.
I am not a food nazi...hahah

But of course, if given the choice, I would eat as clean as possible (or don't eat)
Old 06-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #130
High Supremacy Member

sobs
don't worry - no danger of that here
Old 06-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #131
Banned

i want to drink raw seal blood, fresh and neat.

anyone got lobang
aaur4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #132

after the advise from you guys, i changed my meals abit haha.
so here's my breakfast - butter, eggs and cucumbers

and lunch - 3 poached eggs (abit fail ), pork (in dill, sea salt and jalapeno) and cucumbers drizzled with olive oil
Looks good sia
Isabella_ likes this.
Kyuzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #133

I usually end up the same, no breakfast. so i just munch on cashew/macadamia nuts

Old 06-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #134

i want to drink raw seal blood, fresh and neat.

anyone got lobang
You upgrade to Eskimo diet :O
Old 06-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #135

Since we were on the topic on chickens that day I found this: Poultry Production manual - Chapter 3

"Consumed feed and the released digestive juices pass from the proventriculus to the gizzard for grinding, mixing, and mashing. Large poorly-soluble particles (such as small stones or grit) are retained in the gizzard until ground into tiny pieces by the action of the muscles and exposure to the acid and food particles. Broilers and broiler breeders fed only commercially prepared feed do not need grit. If, however, whole grains are fed without having access to grit, digestive efficiency will be impaired."

which means they will not be healthy.
Isabella_ likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.