Advice

cheeseprata

Reaction score
Dear all,

Have started to go back to training approx 5 months ago. No one to turn to nor learn from. Have difficulty in understanding some of the threads created too. Would like to seek some advice on the following routine.

Current aim is to put on more mass.

This is typically my routine every time. Would really hope to receive any form of advice or 'alteration '

I split my work-out into two bodys part on each training.

I separate it as such. Please advice if the intensity/set is sufficient .

Training 1 - Chest/ Triceps

DB Chest Press - 30kg 5 X 5
(alternate with BB 30 KG 5 X 5)

Incline Chest Press - 25 kg 5 X 5
(Alternate with BB 25KG 5 X 5)

Weight differs as at times i feel i can go higher at times i can't.

Flat Flies -12.5/15kg 3 X 10

Dips - 3 x 10

Often at this point i'm pretty weak already .

Machine triceps press 3 X 5-6 reps i think

skullcrusher 3 X 5 at 10kg

I don't know what you call this but i carry the DB and raise it behind my head
3X8 at 15kg/20kg

That's it.

Training 2- Back/ Biceps

Deadlift 90kg 5 x 5
DB Row 4 x 8-12 reps
20kg/25kg/27.5kg
Lats pull down 3 x 8 (feeling weak)
seated machine row 3 x 8

EZ bar bicep curls 3 x 10 at 10kg/12.5
Hammer Curl 3 X 5-10 at 12.5kg
DB Seated bicep Curl 3 X 5-10 at 12.5kg

That's it

Training 3 - Shoulder

Military press 5x5 30kg
DB press 5x5 27.5/30kg
Side lateral raise 3 X 10 / Seated bent over side raise 3 x 10 both at 10kg/12.5
Plate raise 15 kg 3 x 10

Training 4 - Legs

Squats near parallel to ground 5 x 5 at 60kg
Machine leg press 3 x 8
Calf raise 3 x 8

that's much about it.

Somehow haven't been gaining for a while already.
Appreciate all your input.

Just stopped bulking now @ 174 78.5kg.

Supplement current is just whey protein, creatine, bcaa.
Diet: Recently started being more discipline . Trying to intake more protein and highly cut down on rice intake.

Thanks a lot for your time!

Last edited:

CallmeZen

Reaction score
Why don't go for sl 5x5? Do your compound movements 5x5, then throw whatever accessories you want.

frostbyte88

Reaction score
1) Have the weights you use been increasing? They should be increasing every week. No change in weight = no change in body (at this level).

2) Im assuming the weights you put are inclusive of the bar (for DB, it's the total weight for 2 dumbbells - DB Chest Press 30kg means 15kg per hand). I may be wrong, but if this is the case, you are definitely doing too many exercises. No need for it at this level.

3) You would probably benefit more from a full body routine for now because you have not built up a good base strength yet.

4) Post some pictures to get objective feedback.

Chipster_wes

Reaction score
When you say you want to 'gain mass' what do you actually have in mind?

Mass can be put on as lean muscle mass, in this case you would want to do a slow, clean bulk or to gain any kind of mass aka fat+muscle mass. If you want to look shredded and ripped, you gotta cut a deficit in your diet.

Are you training for strength? Functionality/athleticism? Aesthetics?
Different goals warrant different forms/programs of training. But one thing is for sure - no overload, no improvement.

Cheers,
Chipster_wes

jokerk

Master Member
Reaction score
Why don't go for sl 5x5? Do your compound movements 5x5, then throw whatever accessories you want.

by that do you mean i just do all compound only?

might want to read that again.

Overeating without exercising makes you fat. Rice won't make you fat.

80/20 rule.

80% of your results will come from 20% of your efforts. In terms of lifting, we talk about compound exercises. Milk as much strength/muscle gains from any 5x5 program.

There's honestly a lot of things to learn in getting stronger/muscular/looking better naked.

I suggest to take your time and read up. Be specific in your questions.

Jowa__

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
More compounds less isolation, not forgetting progressive overloading. 1-2 isolation exercises per bodypart is sufficient in my opinion. I would say stick to 5x5 if you're a beginner, move on to GVT when you're past that stage :s8:;)

cheeseprata

Reaction score
1) Have the weights you use been increasing? They should be increasing every week. No change in weight = no change in body (at this level).

2) Im assuming the weights you put are inclusive of the bar (for DB, it's the total weight for 2 dumbbells - DB Chest Press 30kg means 15kg per hand). I may be wrong, but if this is the case, you are definitely doing too many exercises. No need for it at this level.

3) You would probably benefit more from a full body routine for now because you have not built up a good base strength yet.

4) Post some pictures to get objective feedback.

1) Increasing? over the month yes all my lifting hve increases.

2) Sorry i meant a side. DB chest press 30 kg refering to each side.( 2 x 30kg DB)

cheeseprata

Reaction score
When you say you want to 'gain mass' what do you actually have in mind?

Mass can be put on as lean muscle mass, in this case you would want to do a slow, clean bulk or to gain any kind of mass aka fat+muscle mass. If you want to look shredded and ripped, you gotta cut a deficit in your diet.

Are you training for strength? Functionality/athleticism? Aesthetics?
Different goals warrant different forms/programs of training. But one thing is for sure - no overload, no improvement.

Cheers,
Chipster_wes
Mass meaning big and ripped. Decided on lifting mainly to discipline and strength also definitely to look good! not for any competition etc.

Mind explaning more on overload? meaning ?

thanks buddy

cheeseprata

Reaction score
might want to read that again.

Overeating without exercising makes you fat. Rice won't make you fat.

80% of your results will come from 20% of your efforts. In terms of lifting, we talk about compound exercises. Milk as much strength/muscle gains from any 5x5 program.

There's honestly a lot of things to learn in getting stronger/muscular/looking better naked.

I suggest to take your time and read up. Be specific in your questions.

thanks man. that's a good article.

Chipster_wes

Reaction score
Mass meaning big and ripped. Decided on lifting mainly to discipline and strength also definitely to look good! not for any competition etc.

Mind explaning more on overload? meaning ?

thanks buddy

Are you aesthetically-defined at the moment? A picture of yourself would help.

To be big - hypertrophy training. Use weights that let you hit 12-15 reps, 4-5 sets.
To be ripped - you need to lose excess body fat. Contrary to popular belief, fats do not turn into muscle and muscle do not turn into fat. Purely lifting will not allow you to be ripped. HIIT (circuit-lifting) coupled with a caloric deficit will help you burn fats(fast) to achieve an aesthetically-pleasing look.

What I mean by overloading is say for example you bench 20kg a side this week. For the next week, you should progress to say 22.5-25kg per side. That is overload. It will shock your muscles and grow them. Of course there will be a point where you hit your max and plateau, but for somebody who just started, it's time to break those PRs every week dude.

All the best!
Chipster_wes

cheeseprata

Reaction score
Are you aesthetically-defined at the moment? A picture of yourself would help.

To be big - hypertrophy training. Use weights that let you hit 12-15 reps, 4-5 sets.
To be ripped - you need to lose excess body fat. Contrary to popular belief, fats do not turn into muscle and muscle do not turn into fat. Purely lifting will not allow you to be ripped. HIIT (circuit-lifting) coupled with a caloric deficit will help you burn fats(fast) to achieve an aesthetically-pleasing look.

What I mean by overloading is say for example you bench 20kg a side this week. For the next week, you should progress to say 22.5-25kg per side. That is overload. It will shock your muscles and grow them. Of course there will be a point where you hit your max and plateau, but for somebody who just started, it's time to break those PRs every week dude.

All the best!
Chipster_wes

Dear Chips

Thank you so much for your kind input.

No not define at all, however over the months i have put up a lot of mass as well as my lifting strength. will get a pic up soon.

So in this instance, should i be starting my cutting phrase? what is the routine for lifting while your cutting? still remain as SL 5 x 5?

When do we know it's time to change to hypertrophy lifting? how do we define that our starting strength is good to go?

Overloading, Now i would bench 5x5 30kg each side. however at the fifth rep of the 4th/5th set at times i would need someone to slighly push it up for me at the top. At this instance do i still overload or just remain at 30kg the next time i lift?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.