HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Any recommendations on alkaline water ionizers?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #1

Any recommendations on alkaline water ionizers?

I just started reading up on alkaline water ionizer and find that it's really very good. Anyone have any recommendations on which brand I should get? Seems like they are expensive ...
Bulkme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #2

I bought a novita one. Its good and there is a 3 year local warranty
Beezy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
Master Member

actually all works about the same. the novita one is not bad!
thegardens3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 07:55 PM   #4

I just started reading up on alkaline water ionizer and find that it's really very good. Anyone have any recommendations on which brand I should get? Seems like they are expensive ...
It's worth the investment. It's more dangerous for your health when the water you drink is hurting your body...
I put in a 5 stage reverse osmosis system before the alkaline water machine.
Old 14-10-2018, 08:16 PM   #5
Master Member

There is not scientific evidence at all backing the efficacy of alkaline water. It seems to be just a money grab
xerref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 08:23 PM   #6
Master Member

https://unclineberger.org/patientcar...ter-and-cancer

Alkaline Water and Cancer

A very common question we get as Certified Oncology Dietitians is, "Should I drink alkaline water to starve my cancer cells"? The short answer is no. In fact, did you know that Robert O. Young, the man who pioneered the Alkaline Diet is serving time in prison for practicing medicine without a license? Robert O. Young went from a bachelor's degree to doctorate in as little as 8 months from a non-accredited institution. In 2011, the Medical Board of California began an investigation on Young, where it discovered that none of the 15 cancer patients Young treated with his alkalinity treatments outlived their prognosis. In June 2017 he was sentenced to 3 years and 8 months in prison, in addition to, also publicly admitting that he is not microbiologist, hematologist, medical or naturopathic doctor or trained scientist
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/27/w...-benefits.html

Blood is tightly regulated at around pH 7.4, while the stomach, which secretes hydrochloric acid to digest proteins and kill food-borne pathogens, is very acidic, with a pH of 1.5 to 3.5. If you drink water that is slightly alkaline, Dr. Fenton said, the hydrochloric acid in the stomach quickly neutralizes it before it’s absorbed into the blood.

Several small studies funded by companies that sell alkaline water suggest that it could improve hydration in athletes, but any potential benefits were modest, and an easier way to improve hydration is just to drink more water. And a 2016 review of research by Dr. Fenton and a colleague found no evidence that alkaline water or an alkaline diet could treat or prevent cancer.
https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/6/e010438
Results 8278 citations were identified, and 252 abstracts were reviewed; 1 study met the inclusion criteria and was included in this systematic review. No randomised trials were located. No studies were located that examined dietary acid or alkaline or alkaline water for cancer treatment. The included study was a cohort study with a low risk of bias. This study revealed no association between the diet acid load with bladder cancer (OR=1.15: 95% CI 0.86 to 1.55, p=0.36). No association was found even among long-term smokers (OR=1.72: 95% CI 0.96 to 3.10, p=0.08).

Conclusions Despite the promotion of the alkaline diet and alkaline water by the media and salespeople, there is almost no actual research to either support or disprove these ideas. This systematic review of the literature revealed a lack of evidence for or against diet acid load and/or alkaline water for the initiation or treatment of cancer. Promotion of alkaline diet and alkaline water to the public for cancer prevention or treatment is not justified.
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/a...arketing-hype/

In addition, once alkaline water hits your stomach, the gastric juices will neutralize it — another example of natural balancing. This makes any resulting benefits unlikely. Skewing your body’s pH balance too far on the alkaline side can do damage over time, too, particularly by throwing off the digestive process.

GET 25% off your first order @ MYPROTEIN.com Use code XXXX PM ME
xerref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 11:35 PM   #7

There is not scientific evidence at all backing the efficacy of alkaline water. It seems to be just a money grab
My water taste different. Many scientific research is to always make money. In medicine, supplements, diets, wine, coconut water etc etc. At the end of the day the users have to make some assumptions. So many drugs on the market get taken off and some brands may vary. People fund research to make money usually, how many billionaire you know decide to fund something not to make money mah?
Old 15-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #8

How much does Novita water ionizer cost?

I bought a novita one. Its good and there is a 3 year local warranty
actually all works about the same. the novita one is not bad!
Which model did you all buy? How much was it?
Old 15-10-2018, 05:11 PM   #9

It's worth the investment. It's more dangerous for your health when the water you drink is hurting your body...
Ya it's true. Many think that Singapore's tap water are clean. In fact, many still rely on bottled water. I even saw an article saying that. Better be safe than sorry...

Last edited by Bulkme; 15-10-2018 at 05:14 PM..
Old 15-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #10

Ya it's true. Many think that Singapore's tap water are clean. In fact, many still rely on bottled water. I even saw an article saying that. Better be safe than sorry...
Wanted to attach the article but couldn't. Here's the headline from straits times: "The truth about bottled water".
Old 16-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #11

My water taste different. Many scientific research is to always make money. In medicine, supplements, diets, wine, coconut water etc etc. At the end of the day the users have to make some assumptions. So many drugs on the market get taken off and some brands may vary. People fund research to make money usually, how many billionaire you know decide to fund something not to make money mah?
Having the water tasting different is irrelevant to whether there are benefits to it being alkaline. I could pee in your water and you'd probably find that it tastes different as well.

As for scientific research out to make money, yes, research is often used to secure funding, coz funding is important for research (otherwise who pays?) However, research's first and foremost goal is to generate and/or test hypotheses, to illuminate, to provide truth that is transparent. The goal of ANY business however, is to make money. So, I would put the bar of research MUCH higher than a product brochure/advertisement.

Singapore's water is potable. This is primary school knowledge. The fact that many drink bottled water, or that you "saw an article saying that", is once again irrelevant.

HWZ lifting Stats

iherb code - SIH278
galapogos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 09:46 PM   #12

[QUOTE=galapogos;117067592]Having the water tasting different is irrelevant to whether there are benefits to it being alkaline. I could pee in your water and you'd probably find that it tastes different as well.

As for scientific research out to make money, yes, research is often used to secure funding, coz funding is important for research (otherwise who pays?) However, research's first and foremost goal is to generate and/or test hypotheses, to illuminate, to provide truth that is transparent. The goal of ANY business however, is to make money. So, I would put the bar of research MUCH higher than a product brochure/advertisement.

A good number of people like myself that would invest of spending money an alkaline machine would invest in other things beneficial for health. Assuming I dont have a gene express itself the odds of someone like be living a healthy life is higher than someone that doesnt try to inform themselves. Lets say I live up to 100 which I hope so, there would be several other things that could have contributed to my health and it would be hard to single out which one did the most. Either way, small decisions like buying an alkaline machine can be linked to a pattern of behavior and life decisions in an individual.

I do find that people that are skeptic as yourself to natural things to be justified but I find it interesting in people when they dont stay skeptical with the medication the doctor gives them. The doctors intention maybe good but its irrelevant as you would say. Maybe the doctor doesnt even know the medication is good or bad because they just listened to the rep that sold them the drug and took the research that was presented to them as truthful.

Personally, I use a reverse osmosis water filtration system plus an alkaline machine. Maybe its a waste of money but I dont put any drugs in my body and I hardly fall sick. When I am sick, I take an MC and dont show up to work until I am better. People stack themselves with drugs go back to work sooner and drive themselves down a path of disease. IMHO living like that would probably kill someone faster compared to someone that takes care of themselves and drinks from the tap.
Old 18-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #13

A good number of people like myself that would invest of spending money an alkaline machine would invest in other things beneficial for health. Assuming I dont have a gene express itself the odds of someone like be living a healthy life is higher than someone that doesnt try to inform themselves. Lets say I live up to 100 which I hope so, there would be several other things that could have contributed to my health and it would be hard to single out which one did the most. Either way, small decisions like buying an alkaline machine can be linked to a pattern of behavior and life decisions in an individual.
Sure, there's evidence that lifestyle habits such as not smoking, eating well, sleeping well, exercising, etc lead to better health outcomes such as a longer life expectancy. There's not so much evidence in stuff such as alkaline water doing the same though.

I do find that people that are skeptic as yourself to natural things to be justified but I find it interesting in people when they dont stay skeptical with the medication the doctor gives them. The doctors intention maybe good but its irrelevant as you would say. Maybe the doctor doesnt even know the medication is good or bad because they just listened to the rep that sold them the drug and took the research that was presented to them as truthful.
This is essentially an appeal to nature fallacy, i.e. anything that's natural is good, and anything that's artificial (such as medication) is bad. This is not the case as we should all know. There may be cases where doctors push pharmaceuticals with side effects or with questionable efficacy, but anyone can go look up the research on said drug and evaluate it if he/she is smart enough and is inclined to do so, because all drugs that have been approved for use will have gone through the research process. The same cannot always be said of "natural things".

Personally, I use a reverse osmosis water filtration system plus an alkaline machine. Maybe its a waste of money but I dont put any drugs in my body and I hardly fall sick. When I am sick, I take an MC and dont show up to work until I am better. People stack themselves with drugs go back to work sooner and drive themselves down a path of disease. IMHO living like that would probably kill someone faster compared to someone that takes care of themselves and drinks from the tap.
Anecdotal fallacy. Personal experience, while valuable, cannot be extrapolated to make general statements that apply to everyone or every circumstance. It is basically an uncontrolled experiment with a sample size of 1, that does not have the scientific rigour to prove any hypothesis. If it works for you, great, continue doing it, but one cannot make the statement that drinking alkaline water is beneficial based on this, nor any of the other statements made in this paragraph.

HWZ lifting Stats

iherb code - SIH278
galapogos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #14

If we take a look at alkaline water from a natural point of view, you can see that food like vegtables, soybeans, tofu, legumes are alkaline. On the other hand, processed food like canned and packaged snacks are on the acid side. With that being said, it can be said that human body requires alkaline food for our body.
Peter36 likes this.
FannyTann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #15

I agree with the 5 stage reverse osmosis but IMHO, the alkaline water theory is dicey...
see: https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/co...water-nonsense
dauntlessbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.