HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Brazillian jiujitsu?

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #1

Brazillian jiujitsu?

Intend to learn bjj.. Any recommendations where is the best place to learn and how much are the fees? Evolve too ex...
necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
Master Member

Try impact, they got a great instructor
icyheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #3

Intend to learn bjj.. Any recommendations where is the best place to learn and how much are the fees? Evolve too ex...

Try impact mma. Not Impakt mma. That gym is affordable and their bjj classes are good.
kvltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #4

Impact sounds good but i think 262 a mth for adults is far off my budget. Intend to go lessons for only 3x a week probably looking at under 200 bucks.

Did a search and found other schools - Fight g ($115,brown belt, juggernaut($180, purple), SOS($150, black), kreation ($150,black) and sgbjj (fee?, brown).. Any comments on the school? Do they have shower facilities?

I plan to learn mma in the future so is it advisable if i just go for no-gi only or better grasp the concepts with gi first? Where to get gi at cheap price? Most i saw abt 250 with belts and most people buy 2 gis?

Sorry for asking too many qns..
Old 01-05-2013, 01:37 AM   #5
Master Member

Impact sounds good but i think 262 a mth for adults is far off my budget. Intend to go lessons for only 3x a week probably looking at under 200 bucks.

Did a search and found other schools - Fight g ($115,brown belt, juggernaut($180, purple), SOS($150, black), kreation ($150,black) and sgbjj (fee?, brown).. Any comments on the school? Do they have shower facilities?

I plan to learn mma in the future so is it advisable if i just go for no-gi only or better grasp the concepts with gi first? Where to get gi at cheap price? Most i saw abt 250 with belts and most people buy 2 gis?

I'm from juggernaut so i don't really know much on the program of the other gyms but training here is great imo. Shower facilities are definitely available for most gyms. I got my gi from bjjhq.com (managed to snag a basic Fugi gi for USD60 + 45 shipping) My advice is to go for both gi and no-gi if you're interested in mma. People buy multiple gis to put in rotation if they train frequently so they won't have to wash each so frequently. Hope that answers your questions!
necrophagist likes this.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #6

I'm from juggernaut so i don't really know much on the program of the other gyms but training here is great imo. Shower facilities are definitely available for most gyms. I got my gi from bjjhq.com (managed to snag a basic Fugi gi for USD60 + 45 shipping) My advice is to go for both gi and no-gi if you're interested in mma. People buy multiple gis to put in rotation if they train frequently so they won't have to wash each so frequently. Hope that answers your questions!
Cool.. what's the student to instructor ratio over there? Initially wanted to go for a trial there but they say they don't offer free trials.. Will it be tiring to for 1 gi lesson then 1 no gi lessons in one night?

Last edited by necrophagist; 01-05-2013 at 08:03 AM..
Old 01-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #7

btw what other items do i need to buy? for nogi must buy rashguards, mma shorts? need a gi for gi lessons.. also a cup and mouthguard...anything i miss? i'm guessing i have to spend abt 300 bux for initial training? buying online is cheaper but how long will it take? went to liang seng they only have judo gi can i use that? haha

Last edited by necrophagist; 01-05-2013 at 08:06 AM..
Old 01-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Master Member

Cool.. what's the student to instructor ratio over there? Initially wanted to go for a trial there but they say they don't offer free trials.. Will it be tiring to for 1 gi lesson then 1 no gi lessons in one night?
On a normal night probably about 1:5-7. Depends on your overall fitness too

btw what other items do i need to buy? for nogi must buy rashguards, mma shorts? need a gi for gi lessons.. also a cup and mouthguard...anything i miss? i'm guessing i have to spend abt 300 bux for initial training? buying online is cheaper but how long will it take? went to liang seng they only have judo gi can i use that? haha
rashguard & mma shorts not really required, you can use your own PT attire. But normal PT shorts may slip down during rolling Actually dont really need cup and mouthguard. I dont wear them for bjj. True, for bjjhq you need to camp for good deal and then shipping takes around 3weeks. Judo gi is fine for bjj
Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #9

Hi, i am training at Impact and i can tell you the training there is top notch. Impact is affiliated Checkmat, which is one of the best top 5 bjj teams in the world. My blackbelt instructor is the assistant instructor to Ricardo Viera, one of the brothers who started checkmat, a 9 times bjj world champ at the famous Fightzone Copacabana in Rio, Brazil. They do have shower facilities and also offer one free trial class.

If you plan to learn mma, you should start with a gi 1st. Since most of the no-gi champions trained mostly in gi. My gym do sell our school gi which is about $150. Belts will be around 15-20. If you think its too ex, you can always get a judo gi which is fine for bjj too.

You should come in for a trial class and try out the bjj classes and take a look at our gym. =)
necrophagist likes this.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #10

You can really speak about BJJ in Singapore without at least mentioning EVOLVE MMA. They have got around 6-7 BJJ Black belts on staff and all of them are legitimate Brazilian Jiu Jitsu World Champions. They have all been brought over from Brazil. You cannot find this level of instruction anywhere else in Asia.

They are also a Renzo Gracie BJJ affiliate, which means you ranking and promotion is fully accredited.

Definetly worth checking this place out. I believe they offer free trial classes as well.
necrophagist likes this.
Michael X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #11

Hi, i am training at Impact and i can tell you the training there is top notch. Impact is affiliated Checkmat, which is one of the best top 5 bjj teams in the world. My blackbelt instructor is the assistant instructor to Ricardo Viera, one of the brothers who started checkmat, a 9 times bjj world champ at the famous Fightzone Copacabana in Rio, Brazil. They do have shower facilities and also offer one free trial class.

If you plan to learn mma, you should start with a gi 1st. Since most of the no-gi champions trained mostly in gi. My gym do sell our school gi which is about $150. Belts will be around 15-20. If you think its too ex, you can always get a judo gi which is fine for bjj too.

You should come in for a trial class and try out the bjj classes and take a look at our gym. =)
Cool. I think I'm gonna focus training with a Gi first. I see that your gym has 2 Gi lessons a day. That would be good for me as I can learn more since I'm only free 3 days a week. But my concern is do I have to change to a fresh pair of Gi every lesson? Will I accumulate a lot of sweat even if the place is air conditioned? I don't think I wanna bring 2 pair of Gis every day. Haha. It will be great too if the gym has laundry area that we can wash after training.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #12

You can really speak about BJJ in Singapore without at least mentioning EVOLVE MMA. They have got around 6-7 BJJ Black belts on staff and all of them are legitimate Brazilian Jiu Jitsu World Champions. They have all been brought over from Brazil. You cannot find this level of instruction anywhere else in Asia.

They are also a Renzo Gracie BJJ affiliate, which means you ranking and promotion is fully accredited.

Definetly worth checking this place out. I believe they offer free trial classes as well.
No doubt Evolve MMA is one of if not the best in Asia but right now I can't afford the fees. Maybe in the future when I get a better paid job.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #13

Cool. I think I'm gonna focus training with a Gi first. I see that your gym has 2 Gi lessons a day. That would be good for me as I can learn more since I'm only free 3 days a week. But my concern is do I have to change to a fresh pair of Gi every lesson? Will I accumulate a lot of sweat even if the place is air conditioned? I don't think I wanna bring 2 pair of Gis every day. Haha. It will be great too if the gym has laundry area that we can wash after training.

No need. Just 1 gi per day is enough. There are students doing 2 classes straight and they dont change gis. So no worries.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
Master Member

I'm in the same situation but I'm an NSF, where should I sign up at? I've been to trials at impact, BXG, Top gym as well as evolve, can't really make up my mind. What's the class sizes like on weekends which is probably most of the time that I can go on.
dirty_hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
Master Member

I'm in the same situation but I'm an NSF, where should I sign up at? I've been to trials at impact, BXG, Top gym as well as evolve, can't really make up my mind. What's the class sizes like on weekends which is probably most of the time that I can go on.
I'd go with the 4/8 sessions NSF package from impact (has bjj on sat and sunday). Not really worth it to sign for the other gyms unlimited packages since you're only going on weekends
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.