www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Health & Fitness Corner (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/health-fitness-corner-48/)
-   -   fitness first (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/health-fitness-corner-48/fitness-first-3407263.html)

cowed77 09-04-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vurtomatic (Post 65550596)

I'll wait for the day when he asks me for use of the rack :s8:

Sounds like it'll be fun.

ketua 09-04-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefooted (Post 65619554)
I think FF is more expensive than TF now, but FF is better. I've blacklisted TF after their horrendous sales tactics, and terrible communications. I was with True Fitness before they bought over Planet Fitness, they first tried to sell me the package at $300++ per month, and then made "discounts". Anyway, I stupidly joined them because they offered True Yoga classes which I thought might be interesting. Some months later, they closed down their only Gym at raffles place (before they bought over PlanetFitness) and the comms was horrible. (Just look at TrueSpa). I've since re-joined FitnessFirst when they had a promotion for old members to join.

They also have a referral program, so if you are interested to join do let me know. For disclosure of interest... I do get some benefits for referrals, but I might be able to get you a better monthly fee through the referral :) PM me if interested.

Me too. Joined TF when I was working at RP.
I checked out the other gym like CF, PF and picked TF cos it was more posh. So I paid a premium of >$100 for the luxury feel.

When they closed down the one and only branch at OUB (or was it UOB) when the building was demolished, agree with you that there is no Comms. I found out that they bought over PF from forum, then I had to approach them to get my PF access.

Also, paying premium to use a less posh PF really makes me an idiot. :(

BradLee 09-04-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monk.. (Post 65618895)
yes...i agreed that bicep curl shouldnt be done in a squat rack...but squat rack and bench press are the only ones that have that longer heavier bar.
other misc bars at the sides are lighter and shorter.....so for whatever reason why people prefer to use one or the other, they are entitled since it is a gym.
i guess you are just plain unlucky not able to get them to share.
i have seen my share of people not wanting to share...i have met 2 guys doing squats like forever in the rack, by the time i completed my hour of training...they had also just completed using the rack...so you see...there are selfish people whether they are doing curls or squats.

Generally I am more that willing to share equipment with others, who know u might want to share with the person another time so create a friendlier enviroment.

Having said that sharing of equipment also kinda affect the program that u are doing. Not too sure if u guys have the same problem. Say u have a program that u need to superset or toggle between 2 exercises with a strict rest time eg A1, A2. So when u are doing these type of program u are using 2 set of equipments, and many times when u say doing A2 and by the time u go back to do A1 someone took the equipment. if u wait for the other person u miss your prescribed rest time. So How do u guys handle such situation?
Even the person willing to share with you but the weight used is very different so need to take plates in and out. haha I seems to be off topic maybe should start a thread on how share equipment keke.

vurtomatic 09-04-2012 11:43 AM

Ai yah it's common sense man. Why do you need a long bar to do bicep curl? And if you die die want to use it, fine, but use it when people don't need the bar for the purpose it's meant for—be it squat, bench, incline bench. If the gym is empty you can be king and do whatever you want, but each equipment has a prescribed purpose, people need to use their brains.

AMK FF actually has a spare long bar, so for someone doing rows, you can simply deadlift the bar from the ground, bend over, and row away, that's what I do when. Even when I'm doing military press and the rack is not available, I clean the bar and press.

The trainer who monopolised the rack for his client's rows was simply being a lazy fvck or thinks he has some special priority cos he's a trainer working with a client. And on top of that he didn't even have the common gym courtesy to let me know he was done with the rack. FAIL.

@BradLee, if you're supersetting, you either go to the gym early enough that the stations are free (obviously peak hours are bad for supersetting), or you simply wait your turn, ask to swap in when the person is resting. Wait/rest a bit longer won't kill you, don't sweat the details. Of course I also encountered an aunty who refused to let people swap in.

I once had an uncle on the cable row, when he saw me using the pulldown, he got off his machine, came over and told me he's using the pulldown—I told him I don't see his butt sitting on the machine so I'm using it (besides I too was supersetting so after one set I went back to the other station, leaving the pulldown clear for him to use).

galapogos 09-04-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradLee (Post 65621818)
Generally I am more that willing to share equipment with others, who know u might want to share with the person another time so create a friendlier enviroment.

Having said that sharing of equipment also kinda affect the program that u are doing. Not too sure if u guys have the same problem. Say u have a program that u need to superset or toggle between 2 exercises with a strict rest time eg A1, A2. So when u are doing these type of program u are using 2 set of equipments, and many times when u say doing A2 and by the time u go back to do A1 someone took the equipment. if u wait for the other person u miss your prescribed rest time. So How do u guys handle such situation?
Even the person willing to share with you but the weight used is very different so need to take plates in and out. haha I seems to be off topic maybe should start a thread on how share equipment keke.

Not much choice - you either join a gym with enough equipment for you to use, train at times when you're able to hog 2 pieces of equipment to superset, share your equipment and sacrifice your strict rest intervals and convenience of not moving equipment around, or change your program to be more flexible.

monk.. 09-04-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradLee (Post 65621818)

yes...i understand that when supersetting ..it's hard to share.
for me, i overcome it by going to the gym earlier, peak hours a nightmare to do supersetting...totally impossible.
beside trying to go earlier, plan your training or be flexible with exercises....normally i will start to check out the next few equipments that I will be using when using the current one and plan accordingly.
of cos, it helps if people are willing to share since supersetting will leave the equipment A empty while you are using equipment B.....but i guess it really depends on the crowds in the gym...

Cryptrus 09-04-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vurtomatic (Post 65550596)
Yeah AMK FF. The most disappointing thing was that he could've easily found the space to do the rows with a standalone barbell, instead he chose to monopolise the rack. It's as bad as the morons who use the squat rack for barbell curls. Fvcktard.

I'll wait for the day when he asks me for use of the rack :s8:

which PT?............

BradLee 09-04-2012 04:54 PM

Thanks Monk, Gala and Vurto for the opinion.
yes u need to be creative. Previously sometime back I need post a program and the feedback is a bit rojak especially the things I pair up and do per day. As I usually workout during the peak hours so i need to be creative or rather try to minimize hogging 2 equipments. I do understand theory like pair opposite movement e.g. vertical pull with vertical push which translate to pull up and OHP. However to work my way thru the peak hours I would pair pull up with dips as i can use the same equipment. Another way I find instead of doing barbell using dumbbell so u are not being tied to a particular station, any bench will do. So like i may pair dumbbell bench press with dumbbell lunges, so i only hog a bench and 2 sets of dumbbells. However if i pair up this way does it affect the progress in a long term since i dont pair in a very traditional way.

ketua 09-04-2012 05:09 PM

Won't affect your progress as long as all muscle groups have their fair share and right proportion of workout over time.

The point on supersetting on opposite muscles is for them to rest alternately.

And some say stretching / resting the muscles while the opposite is being worked will help when come to its turn. Sorry don't know how to precisely express myself on this.

BradLee 09-04-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ketua (Post 65630758)
Won't affect your progress as long as all muscle groups have their fair share and right proportion of workout over time.

The point on supersetting on opposite muscles is for them to rest alternately.

And some say stretching / resting the muscles while the opposite is being worked will help when come to its turn. Sorry don't know how to precisely express myself on this.

Hope wont affect lor. As typically when ppl plan the program, they will have like certain focus per day like legs days, pull days, push day or what so due to the way i pair is to minimize hogging during peak hours makes my program very rojak and lack of focus lor haha:s13:

galapogos 09-04-2012 05:28 PM

You don't need to superset with a agonist-antagonistic pairing. You can also alternate non-competing muscle groups/movements, e.g. squat-row. This way, you can shorten rest periods and increase work density without a drop in performance. This is especially good for fat loss.

BradLee 09-04-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galapogos (Post 65631318)
You don't need to superset with a agonist-antagonistic pairing. You can also alternate non-competing muscle groups/movements, e.g. squat-row. This way, you can shorten rest periods and increase work density without a drop in performance. This is especially good for fat loss.

Yes thats my goal now thats why i tends to pair instead of doing one exercise after another.:)

vurtomatic 09-04-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryptrus (Post 65630206)
which PT?............

Don't know his name, tallish big Indian looking fella with glasses.

XanderBuilt 09-04-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galapogos (Post 65631318)

AKA GBC...

Cryptrus 09-04-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vurtomatic (Post 65631533)
Don't know his name, tallish big Indian looking fella with glasses.

Oh, think only one Indian there nia... big chest and arm one... very yaya one:vijayadmin: