HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

iHerb, Good Buys, Food, Health & Chitchats - Part 2

Like Tree3677Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #2416
Arch-Supremacy Member

Also, has anyone tried nutritional yeast? Can it really replace grated cheese?
Trying to decide btwn now's nutritional yeast flakes or this Cavender's, All Purpose Greek Seasoning, 8 oz (227 g) - iHerb.com
I did buy the nutritional yeast a while back. It does have a slight cheesy flavor to it but somewhat costly.
xerref likes this.
eddy2099sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #2417
High Supremacy Member

wat ingredients r suitable to grow in our climate n hdb?

I know chilli n lime becos I grew them before. any others?

btw salmon belly is really nice, u guys shld buy them n just let it fried in its own oil, no need use any oil totally. n the skin can be crispy as well!

can get cheap clearance beef from cold storage, just need to keep a lookout.

hope iherb vip sale comes again. want to replenish my organic coconut oil from nutiva.

I think the anchor butter u guys r getting is really a good deal.
bump bump
Old 12-01-2015, 07:11 PM   #2418

bump bump
my gma grow bittergourd, curry leaves, pandan leaves, chilli, papaya.. so far i can only rmb these
Old 12-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #2419

oh, so so true ... that was my fate yesterday
eddy2099sg likes this.
Duncerblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #2420

Waaaaahhhhhhh.....!!!! I knew someone is cooking Beef. Can smell it in the air.

Anyway Dancerblur, think i'm somehow & someway related to you too! Can you share some pleaseeeeeee....!!! : )

Yes! I am still shameless! : p

There's very little fat on Topside steak. Unlike the Ribeye. So i cut it into small cuts for the girls to make beef curry. Hope to try beef rendang but i dont think they know how to cook it.
Haha! When there is very little fat, I like to "feed" the beef before cooking. One of my favourite method is adapted from Nigella Lawson's black & blue steak recipe.

Black and blue beef: Recipes: Good Food Channel

I do tweak it according to my moods and what else I am cooking so sometimes I may add balsamic vinegar, gula melaka or even sake. But I alway marinate the beef for more than 2 -3 hours to ensure a more juicy steak.

For rendang I actually do not like my cuts too small as it really does cook down.
Kacangputehman likes this.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #2421
Master Member

the Greek seasoning likw got msg leh.
so do tomatoes?

Glutamic acid in tomatoes and parmesan » Khymos

How Safe is MSG?

Last edited by xerref; 12-01-2015 at 08:51 PM..
xerref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #2422

eh I'm confused. so how do I know tt msg is natural msg or artifical
Duncerblur likes this.
bella_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:01 PM   #2423
Arch-Supremacy Member

For those who miss the music scene from Singapore's Swinging Sixties can relive those memories here ♫ The 60’s Popular Music Scene in the Far East | QUESTING bandstand

There are quite a number songs there.
Duncerblur likes this.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #2424
Arch-Supremacy Member

Last time during one of the factory tours, we went to Ajinomoto's HQ and was told that the MSG is made from Sugar Cane or tapioca sources. So I don't know.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #2425

Ignore the marketing spiel but some of it is actually quite well explained.

http://www.edenfoods.com/articles/vi...rticles_id=207
bella_ likes this.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #2426

Last time during one of the factory tours, we went to Ajinomoto's HQ and was told that the MSG is made from Sugar Cane or tapioca sources. So I don't know.
Without breaking any NDAs, I used to do some work for them too and there is a reason why I avoid msg. 'Nuff said.
eddy2099sg and bella_ like this.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:32 PM   #2427

Haha! When there is very little fat, I like to "feed" the beef before cooking. One of my favourite method is adapted from Nigella Lawson's black & blue steak recipe.

I do tweak it according to my moods and what else I am cooking so sometimes I may add balsamic vinegar, gula melaka or even sake. But I alway marinate the beef for more than 2 -3 hours to ensure a more juicy steak.

For rendang I actually do not like my cuts too small as it really does cook down.
The Topside steak i got seems to be like Christian Ronaldo type. No Fats one. I thought +4 is about the fats content on the meat?

Anyway, Nigella Lawson!!! Oh so... Yummy....!

Ok... I am back. So if there's is little fats or no fats on the slice of meat, you will marinate it? Otherwise, do you leave it natural?

If you want to make rendang, it's probably best to stick to the normal cuts and slow cook it so that the spicies soak in nicely while you cook.
Actually, i hope someone can make rendang or any yummy beef dishes. So i can eat. : (

Since the "i think we are related" stunt is not working. Eddy can i be your foodie friend? : )
Duncerblur likes this.
Kacangputehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:54 PM   #2428

The Topside steak i got seems to be like Christian Ronaldo type. No Fats one. I thought +4 is about the fats content on the meat?

Anyway, Nigella Lawson!!! Oh so... Yummy....!

Ok... I am back. So if there's is little fats or no fats on the slice of meat, you will marinate it? Otherwise, do you leave it natural?

Actually, i hope someone can make rendang or any yummy beef dishes. So i can eat. : (

Since the "i think we are related" stunt is not working. Eddy can i be your foodie friend? : )
Pfffttt, I admire your gungho attitude. Yes, Nigella Lawson is rather tasty, as many of my glassy-eyed male friends prove every time she appeared on telly. LOL.

I do not quite know how to describe the way to treat beef. Perhaps King or eddy2099sg may give a more scientific explanation. I can only tell you I go by sight and feel. I typically do not buy meats that are too lean because I like a bit of fat to my meat. If I do get a rather lean cut, I feel it. OK, this sounds gross but I can tell what I want to do with it and how it should be treated by touch.

My grandfather taught me a way to gauge a cut of meat. He would cut a thin piece across the grain. The "butteriness" or toughness from that cut would tell him what cooking process was best. Heh, I seldom use that method now but when I was young & confused and being tortured in the kitchen, this was actually rather useful.

When terribly confused, it is a good idea to make friends with the butcher and seek their counsel. I think Singapore butchers really lack the respect and deference due them so they are really happy to help if you show the right amount of helplessness and complete and utter gluttony & love for meat.

Sorry I cannot be clearer.
Kacangputehman likes this.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #2429

Pfffttt, I admire your gungho attitude. Yes, Nigella Lawson is rather tasty, as many of my glassy-eyed male friends prove every time she appeared on telly. LOL.

I do not quite know how to describe the way to treat beef. Perhaps King or eddy2099sg may give a more scientific explanation. I can only tell you I go by sight and feel. I typically do not buy meats that are too lean because I like a bit of fat to my meat. If I do get a rather lean cut, I feel it. OK, this sounds gross but I can tell what I want to do with it and how it should be treated by touch.

My grandfather taught me a way to gauge a cut of meat. He would cut a thin piece across the grain. The "butteriness" or toughness from that cut would tell him what cooking process was best. Heh, I seldom use that method now but when I was young & confused and being tortured in the kitchen, this was actually rather useful.

When terribly confused, it is a good idea to make friends with the butcher and seek their counsel. I think Singapore butchers really lack the respect and deference due them so they are really happy to help if you show the right amount of helplessness and complete and utter gluttony & love for meat.

Sorry I cannot be clearer.
Thank you very much for your detailed and lengthy explanation, Nigella. I mean Dancerblur!!!

I actually lost you somewhere after Nigella. Please no scientific explanation. I'm low education standard. Please make explanation idiot proof.

I can't cook, so i will just buy the meat & stuff & they do their magic. Then abracadabra. I makan.
Duncerblur likes this.
Kacangputehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:34 PM   #2430

Thank you very much for your detailed and lengthy explanation, Nigella. I mean Dancerblur!!!

I actually lost you somewhere after Nigella. Please no scientific explanation. I'm low education standard. Please make explanation idiot proof.

I can't cook, so i will just buy the meat & stuff & they do their magic. Then abracadabra. I makan.
that's even more pro !
cooking by magic!
bella_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.