LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #7876
Master Member

The bottle says 3 capsules for men.

That's a total of
Zinc (As Mono L-Methionine And Aspartate) 90mg
Magnesium (As Aspartate) 1,350mg
Vitamin B6 (As Pyridoxine HCL) 31.5mg

Isn't vivid dreams a sign u are not in deep (more restful state) sleep? Since vivid dreams only happen during REM sleep.

your body actually cycles through different sleep stages throughout the night.
Light sleep for mental and physical recovery.
Deep sleep for physical recovery, aspects of memory and learning and immune system.
REM for mood regulation, learning, and memory...
Everybody is different and everybody spends different amount of time in each stage depending on what your body needs.

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_...ifferentStages

Anyway i think the more pertinent point is i do feel refreshed and well-rested...
better than not being able to sleep and end up feeling tired the rest of the day.

One of my sleep cycles from Fitbit:

Last edited by Asure7; 06-10-2018 at 03:49 PM..
Asure7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:36 PM   #7877

How do prices compare to other times when they go on sale?
I replenish stocks whenever they are on sale and I notice some of the prices have gone up slightly.
I used AMAS's excel file which I refer to for price reference and I update them as I go along. Somehow I have never seen any price revise downwards.

So just like last month's 22% was a great opportunity to stock up.
dauntlessbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:58 PM   #7878

I replenish stocks whenever they are on sale and I notice some of the prices have gone up slightly.
I used AMAS's excel file which I refer to for price reference and I update them as I go along. Somehow I have never seen any price revise downwards.

So just like last month's 22% was a great opportunity to stock up.

I couldn't seem to find them on the spreadsheet.. is this the right one to look at? Looking to buy the scivation BCAAs, would be $47.48 for 44.4oz after 5% (using the referral code) and first order $5 off (Welcome5) and 15% brand of the week discount.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmiu8tt56nu1jil/GET319.xls
boiboi123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:46 PM   #7879

I couldn't seem to find them on the spreadsheet.. is this the right one to look at? Looking to buy the scivation BCAAs, would be $47.48 for 44.4oz after 5% (using the referral code) and first order $5 off (Welcome5) and 15% brand of the week discount.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmiu8tt56nu1jil/GET319.xls
Uh, you couldnt find BCAA in the spreadsheet?
haha.. of course not la...

Anyway, I was talking about prices in general. I am interested in omega 3 & shampoos I use. I also bought Magnesium & Curcumin recently.
But you can use the above excel as a template & expand from there for supplements that interest you.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:13 AM   #7880

your body actually cycles through different sleep stages throughout the night.
Light sleep for mental and physical recovery.
Deep sleep for physical recovery, aspects of memory and learning and immune system.
REM for mood regulation, learning, and memory...
Everybody is different and everybody spends different amount of time in each stage depending on what your body needs.

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_...ifferentStages

Anyway i think the more pertinent point is i do feel refreshed and well-rested...
better than not being able to sleep and end up feeling tired the rest of the day.

One of my sleep cycles from Fitbit:

Yes, everyone is different. That's why I always like to see how I react or feel after taking certain supplements. To me, this is more important than the number of studies backing it.

Btw, did u compare your sleep cycle when taking ZMA vs when not taking it?
onizuka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:29 AM   #7881
Master Member

Oh sorry I meant whether 15% on these products are good
15% is the norm, sometimes it's 10, seldom it's 20+

GET 25% off your first order @ MYPROTEIN.com Use code LEE-R3I7
xerref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:03 AM   #7882

Thank you!

15% is the norm, sometimes it's 10, seldom it's 20+
boiboi123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #7883

SSM037 - 5% off for both New or Existing Customers
10NEWSG - US$10 off orders over US$40 for New Customer
Free Shipping on orders above US$40

Utilize both codes for maximum discount.
valentines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #7884

Any review on GNC triple strength fish oil?
EPA is 734mg, DHA is 266mg.
Noodle123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #7885

Any review on GNC triple strength fish oil?
EPA is 734mg, DHA is 266mg.
https://www.gnc.com/triple-strength-...sh-oil#start=1

This is an interestingly huge capsule. 1500mg size capsule is not for people who struggle with even the 1000mg size.

Its priced at USD45 for VIP or SGD73.60 (USD53.30) if you buy in SG. You get 10% off if you buy 2 in SG which is still more expensive than US price.

It contains 1000mg of Omega 3 but look at its DHA:EPA component: it is a rather low 0.36. All the other brands are generally 0.67 ratio except for Jarrow & Natural Factor which is 0.5. What does this mean? Its DHA component is very small compared to EPA and DHA costs more than EPA.

Why do you want to take this when its more than double the price of Jarrow's or 3x more expensive if you buy it in SG?

Source Natural has only 790mg of Omega 3 per capsule but twice the DHA component compared to GNC Triple and it costs only 2/3 of the USD price!

I've inserted the GNC Triple into my excel spreadsheet. Check out the price value comparison in the Omega 3 in this excel file: GET319.xls

Happy shopping!

Old 11-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #7886

Thanks for the analysis and info.
I am also a bit confused as in which (EPA or DHA) is better in reducing inflammation and pain among other benefits... What is the right ratio range between EPA and DHA and how much to take to be effective
Noodle123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:00 PM   #7887
Master Member

I am also a bit confused as in which (EPA or DHA) is better in reducing inflammation and pain among other benefits... What is the right ratio range between EPA and DHA and how much to take to be effective
Omega 3 anti-inflammatory while 6 is inflammatory. However it doesn't mean you should avoid omega 6 because some inflammation actually helps to protect your body from infection etc.
I don't remember the optimal ratio (should be easily googled) as it is difficult and cumbersome to calculate since you have to take into account of everything you eat.
Just as a guideline, with the type of food we eat today, we actually consume a lot of omega 6 from diet alone. So for supplements, you can just focus on Omega 3 alone, instead of those "combo-omega 3-6-9".
Cheap and lower quality fish oils tend to have a higher ratio of 6.
If you get a "perfect ratio" fish oil supplement, it's not actually ideal because of typical diet.

EPA is more for anti-inflammation, DHA good for brain. Both are omega 3.

Last edited by Asure7; 11-10-2018 at 06:06 PM..
Asure7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #7888
Master Member

The EPA to DHA ratio doesn’t really matter unless you’re pregnant or a baby where increased DHA intake is beneficial.

As for inflammation, both EPA and DHA have anti inflammatory properties. However there is evidence indicating that dha may elicit a stronger anti inflammatory effect.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/104/2/280/4668547
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3575932/

A general rule of thumb is to get ~1.8 grams of EPHA and DHA combined. Which is equivalent to ~3 capsules of JARROWS EPA DHA BALANCE
Check out my post and the links under additional resources

https://guavarilla.wordpress.com/201...3-fatty-acids/
dauntlessbird likes this.

Last edited by xerref; 12-10-2018 at 11:14 AM..
Old 11-10-2018, 09:36 PM   #7889
Master Member

Bath and body special!

For those who missed the 22% off, hopefully can find something good this time?

I'm personally looking for something for frizzy long hair, appreciate any recommendations!

Holiday Baking Special!

Bunch of baking products and sweeteners on sale.

Including YS honey, Frontier Natural Products (try the taco seasoning!) and Simply organic (big fan of the adobo seasonign )

Brands of the week!

I personally like BPI's flavoring, recommend trying out the BCAAs and the vanilla whey - it has a slight butterscotch taste to it IMO

As for MRM, I think their veggie elite is one of the better tasting vegan proteins. Not as bitter or chalky as their competitors.

GET 25% off your first order @ MYPROTEIN.com Use code LEE-R3I7
Old 12-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #7890

Omega 3 anti-inflammatory while 6 is inflammatory. However it doesn't mean you should avoid omega 6 because some inflammation actually helps to protect your body from infection etc.
I don't remember the optimal ratio (should be easily googled) as it is difficult and cumbersome to calculate since you have to take into account of everything you eat.
Just as a guideline, with the type of food we eat today, we actually consume a lot of omega 6 from diet alone. So for supplements, you can just focus on Omega 3 alone, instead of those "combo-omega 3-6-9".
Cheap and lower quality fish oils tend to have a higher ratio of 6.
If you get a "perfect ratio" fish oil supplement, it's not actually ideal because of typical diet.

EPA is more for anti-inflammation, DHA good for brain. Both are omega 3.

Absolutely agree with you.

There is no such thing as a perfect ratio.
Our diet has more than enuf Omega 6. look at all the oily food that is dished out to us at the hawker centres... filled with omega 6 based oil. And too much Omega 6 becomes too inflammatory for us, esp when we are so into fried this & that.

The point is we dont have enough Omega 3 to offset the excessive Omega 6 in our diet. The prob is eating fish is not enough cos there is no Omega 3 when the fish is fried & there is hardly any omega 3 in fish like tilapia & sutchi which is commonly used by the hawkers.

Like you said, EPA is primarily for anti inflammation & DHA for cognitive development. That doesnt mean that the DHA is not anti-inflammatory as well.

So if you have an active lifestyle GNC Triple suits your needs but you can get always better value, cos DHA is more expensive like what AMA said.

Cheerio!
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.