pekipom's workout log (restarting my gym workouts)

mhafizzz

Reaction score
Oops my bad uncle chay! I didnt read what his goals were! Then what you say is right of cos! :)

pekipom

Reaction score
yep I'm training for size more than for strength...

OK, if you think you've milked the 5 x 5 program for all it's worth, then take a week off to recuperate.

After that change to a hypertrophy based program with a higher rep scheme but still having compounds as the core of your program & maybe throwing in some isolation work.

If I were you I'd work on a push pull split 3 times a week.

Day 1 - push: benches, OHP, dips or skullcrushers, squats

rest

Day 2 - pull: pull/chin-ups, rows, curls, DLs

Don't go more than 15 - 20 sets per workout. Rep scheme: 8 - 12. Once u can do 12 reps add weight...

Try this for a couple of months & let us know your progress in mass gaining....

yeah I think if I stick to the program, I'll be able to add some weight to my lifts, but not much. anyway since I have camp this week, I'm kinda forced to take a break haha.

just some questions...

1) for the main lifts (squat, bench, pullup, DL, OHP), I will be doing more sets than the assistance lifts right? i.e 3x8 as compared to 2x8(?) for the assistance. or just 3x8 for all the lifts?

2) when you say hit 12 reps, that is only referring to the last set? something like 5/3/1 where you only do til failure on the last set. i.e 8, 8, 8+

3) how do I switch between i) bench and incline bench ii) pullups, weighted pullups, chinups? will a simple alternation between the exercises work or just do everything in 1 session?

Example

Push
Bench Press 3x8
OHP 3x8
Squat 3x8
Dips/skulls (triceps) 2x8

Pull
Pullups 3x8
Shrugs 3x8
Deadlift 3x8
Rows 2x8
Curl 2x8

rockstarz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
. I have to admit I have some ego issues too... when I deload, I'm afraid of dropping too much weight cos it will take some time to reach the initial weight
it will end up becoming 2 weeks of zero lifting. then my strength will just plummet

Not really, I went on a 3 week overseas training without any weight training , the only thing I have is TRX and its more for conditioning only, when i came back and hit the weights , yes the numbers dropped, but within 1 week I am back to my usual numbers , and now after 3 weeks , I have broken all my PR already, you will be surprise at how a break could help you in improving your stats .

P.S good improvement from the pics

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yep I'm training for size more than for strength...

yeah I think if I stick to the program, I'll be able to add some weight to my lifts, but not much. anyway since I have camp this week, I'm kinda forced to take a break haha.

just some questions...

1) for the main lifts (squat, bench, pullup, DL, OHP), I will be doing more sets than the assistance lifts right? i.e 3x8 as compared to 2x8(?) for the assistance. or just 3x8 for all the lifts?

2) when you say hit 12 reps, that is only referring to the last set? something like 5/3/1 where you only do til failure on the last set. i.e 8, 8, 8+

3) how do I switch between i) bench and incline bench ii) pullups, weighted pullups, chinups? will a simple alternation between the exercises work or just do everything in 1 session?

Example

Push
Bench Press 3x8
OHP 3x8
Squat 3x8
Dips/skulls (triceps) 2x8

Pull
Pullups 3x8
Shrugs 3x8
Deadlift 3x8
Rows 2x8
Curl 2x8

Yes, your compounds still form the core of your program so definitely more sets for them.

Also, in any hypertrophy program, my experience is that you leave the squats & DLs as the last exercise; reason is v simple - since they are the most demanding, if you put them 1st or even in the middle of your workout, after that you may lack the energy to go all out for the other exercises.

With the exception of squats & DLs, you go to failure in the last set of the other exercises & once u can hit 12 reps, increase weight for the movt the next session so pl find a spotter for your last set.

Pl note that a higher rep scheme doesn't necessarily mean the training intensity is less so maybe do 4 sets for your compounds & 2 or 3 sets for your isolations. For your isolations, slow the tempo down: 2 secs up 3 secs down - reason for this is because isolation movts are single joint exercises, you want to protect your joints & a slower tempo will go a long way to ensure you don't end up with sore elbows or elbow tendinitis in the case of curls & skullcrushers. If you want to play it safe, substitute close grip bench presses in place of skullcrushers as dips can cause shoulder issues if you've got unstable shoulders or rotator cuff problems before.

As for bench, press & row variations, you can vary them in different sessions eg

Day 1 - BB bench press, BB OHP

Day 2 - BB row

Day 1 - DB incline press, DB OHP

Day 2 - seated cable rows or DB rows

If u train at clubfitt where the DBs are only up to 20kg then no choice but to stick to movts using BB.

Pl start to listen to your body v closely & make any adjustments to the program where needed eg if u feel your lower back is aching too much from squats & DLs, then switch to front squats & assisted glute ham raises on the lat pulldown machine & a bench in front of u (google on youtube on how to do this) for a couple of weeks.

In bodybuilding or strength training - it's stimulate your muscles, not annihilate them...

pekipom

Reaction score
@rockstarz ah I see... guess I will just go enjoy my break and come back stronger :D
haha thx. quite pleased with my progress so far too
@lee you're much more advanced than me in lifting so I dunno if that will work for me... maybe I'll change over to max-ot after I've done a 3 day hypertrophy program and stall again? should take about 8-12 weeks. the program's "rules" are useful information though so thanks for sharing. think I can apply some of them to my lifting

@uncle chay wow thanks for taking time to type out so much info! really appreciate it. I was thinking 3x8 because I read somewhere that 15-25 reps is suitable for hypertrophy. anyway, I'll just experiment with the program after my break and figure out if 4x8 or 3x8 is better

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No problem, glad to help. 1 more thing: don't rest more than 90 secs between sets.

Once u have milked the push pull split to it's fullest, then move to a push, pull & lower body split, still training 3 times a week:

Day 1 - push

Rest

Day 2 - pull

Rest

Day 3 - lower body

pekipom

Reaction score
updated

p.s: uncle chay, if you see this, do you think it's okay if I load more weights on the next session despite not hitting 12 reps? I'll try to push to failure but as long as I hit 8, it should be ok to increase the load right?

oh yeah, and isn't it discouraged to push to failure on a regular basis? I read that it might hurt your CNS if you keep pushing your body so hard

Last edited:

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
updated

p.s: uncle chay, if you see this, do you think it's okay if I load more weights on the next session despite not hitting 12 reps? I'll always push to failure but as long as I hit 8, it should be ok to increase the load right?

In hypertrophy programs, u also need to load progressively: ie you need to be able to do a min of 12 reps before u increase yr weights so that when u start with the higher weight, your no of reps decreases back to 8...

It may take you some trial & error re the no of sets per exercise for optimum results but that's the beauty of it - learning to really listening to your body & know how it responds to a certain protocol..

Pl don't be impatient - this is about muscle & strength building & a hypertrophy program is different fr a strength program...

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Also re training to failure, do it only on your last set.

And yes, training to failure all the time ie every set & every session will lead to CNS burnout but I doubt you'll lead to CNS failure if you only train to failure on the last set for upper body exercises. As I mentioned before, don't try training to failure for legs for obvious safety reasons...

Now, I've also tried HIT (High Intensity Training) where I took every set to failure & beyond (max 3 sets per ex, sometimes only 2). Gave me fantastic results for about 3 mths after which I laid off for 2 weeks & got back onto a more "regular" hypertrophy program...

In my training lifetime, I've always at some point, done HIT for a short period of time then reverting back to non-failure programs. Very good for shocking your muscles to grow fast during HIT...

But I won't advocate doing HIT until u have at least 2 years of solid training under your belt.

pekipom

Reaction score
thanks once again uncle chay... I think my body was really leaving a very strong message during my workout today :D just a few sets of pendlay rows was enough to wipe me out and I was panting like a dog... definitely not ready for anything as hardcore as HIIT. and I think I also understood the importance of hitting the 12 reps today...

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my personal take re pendlay rows - drop it & use the regular row where your body is bent at about 45 deg:

Bent Over Barbell Row Exercise Guide and Video

I'm very cautious about training safely: and the pendlay row looks much less safer than the regular barbell row. why? in the normal row, your body is bent at only 45 deg whereas in the bendlay row your body is bent at nearly 90 deg - this is the point where a lot of injuries occur as the load on the spine & lower back is much more than the regular barbell row.

Also when it comes to building muscle, 1 of the things that I learned was continuous tension ie ensuring all the affected muscles are worked continuously throughout the movt. This doesn't happen with the pendlay row as you actually rest for a sec or so with barbell on the floor.

Also once you handle heavy weights, say 100 kg for the row, it's much easier to do it via the regular row than the pendlay row cos the of 90 deg angle..

galapogos

Reaction score
Wanna be even safer, do chest supported rows...you won't need as heavy loads since you can't cheat like everyone does when doing bent over barbell rows. Even clubfit's 20kg dumbbells will challenge many people when done for higher reps.

junho93

Reaction score
your squats are pretty awesome!
but i think your upper body is lacking behind by a bit.

By the way are you doing High Bar (ATG) or Low Bar (parallel) Squats?

ketua

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Your question is flawed.

High bar squat does not mean necessarily mean ATG, and low bar squat does not mean not deeper than parallel.

pekipom

Reaction score

haha thanks. the weights I used have dropped drastically though because I switched programs. I agree that my upper body is weak in comparison to my legs. I blame stronglifts for that. squatting 3x a week combined with 1/2 bench/rows would lead to such an imbalance...

anyway, like uncle ketua said, your question is a little weird... but I do high bar, parallel squats

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haha thanks. the weights I used have dropped drastically though because I switched programs. I agree that my upper body is weak in comparison to my legs. I blame stronglifts for that. squatting 3x a week combined with 1/2 bench/rows would lead to such an imbalance...

anyway, like uncle ketua said, your question is a little weird... but I do high bar, parallel squats

don't worry about your upper body not being up to par with your legs.

Best part of any hypertrophy program is that u can tweak it so that your body can become more balanced. Eg u can do 4 sets of upper body movts while doing only 3 or even just 2 work sets of squats while bringing yr upper body up to par. But for DLs since it's a posterior chain movt & a strong posterior chain ensures that your postural issues improve, better do at least 3 sets...

This is what bodybuilding is all about... having a strong but balanced physique!

pekipom

Reaction score
don't worry about your upper body not being up to par with your legs.

Best part of any hypertrophy program is that u can tweak it so that your body can become more balanced. Eg u can do 4 sets of upper body movts while doing only 3 or even just 2 work sets of squats while bringing yr upper body up to par. But for DLs since it's a posterior chain movt & a strong posterior chain ensures that your postural issues improve, better do at least 3 sets...

This is what bodybuilding is all about... having a strong but balanced physique!
yup I'm not gonna worry too much and just train hard :D when the weight gets heavier, I might take that suggestion to drop a set of squats..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.