RESMED for sleep apnea? Any comments?

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi ,

Just want to check if anyone with a self-imported Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. Do you have any luck using the Myair software or app?

Apparently it is not supported in Singapore. Otherwise how do you retrieve your sleep data? Thanks in advance.

The onboard built-in cellular modem is not supported in SG, regardless if you imported it, or bought it locally.

Detailed data is stored on the SD card in the unit. You can view it on your computer either with the open source SleepyHead software, or with Resmed's ResScan software. A quick Google search will lead you to how you can download either of them online.

Remember to write-protect the SD card when you remove it from the unit, and to unlock it again before putting it back in.

Personally, I prefer and use SleepyHead.

Last edited:

Pandule

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought the resmed airsense 10 and using it. got some questions.

1) in Singapore, do you guys fill the tank with water?, and what humidity settings you guys set first?

2) How do I change the date and time on it. When I put in the SD card to sleepyhead, the timing is from 10am to like 10pm.

3) Should I go and use airfit nasal pillows?, I'm using another pillow mask now.

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

1) in Singapore, do you guys fill the tank with water?, and what humidity settings you guys set first?

2) How do I change the date and time on it. When I put in the SD card to sleepyhead, the timing is from 10am to like 10pm.

3) Should I go and use airfit nasal pillows?, I'm using another pillow mask now.

1) Personally, I do not use the humidifier while I am in SG.

I'm to understand the S9's humidifier targets 80% relative humidity, and it's usually higher than that in SG (unless you sleep in an air conditioned room); hence I never felt the need to use it. I would guess the Airsense 10's humidifier would be similar. Also, because I really don't want to have to deal with cleaning the water chamber every day - but, that's just me.

I also use an in-line bacterial filter. These filters are hydrophilic, and should not be used with a humidifier.

It doesn't hurt to try it, and decide for yourself if you like to use it or not. Just remember you need to clean and dry the humidifier chamber daily.

2) Hold down home and knob simultaneously for a few seconds. Unit will enter clinical settings mode.

Under settings, you can change the date and time.

If you try to set a new date/time that occurs in the past, an error message is displayed. Before this change can be made, erase the compliance data available under the Configuration menu. You might like to download your data on the SD card before you do so.

3) If your current mask works well for you, there is no need to change it.

CodeCalibre

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hi. Every night I am using air-conditioning. So I use the humidifier always. With that in mind, after several uses, I fill my water tank only on the silver plate area. No, I DO NOT fill it up to the first mark. Even on 8-9 hours of usage with humidifier, my water tub is still not empty. This will reduce water usage and lessen waste since you have to empty and dry your tub daily. Note that I needed the humdifier and water when using standard or slim-line tubes.

Do you have ClimateLine Heated tubing? If yes, you can experiment on not having water on the humidifer. I just set it to Humidity to Auto with the ClimateLine tube. The tube itself should be able to introduce heat on the air.

Last edited:

camotorpedo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have benefitted greatly from the information from this thread (to the likes of dreamt, happinesscuminpairs etc, who are so willing to answer my questions – Thank you!). So am back to share my experience.

Following the instruction shared in the thread I bought a Resmed Airsense10 For her (same price but it comes with normal and less aggressive algorithm) from 1800cpap. Fact is there are much cheaper sets on Amazon (USD 425 vs 728 on 1800cpap after promo code) but these do not seem to be long-term sellers and have no/very few reviews. Reason for buying from 1800cpap was because of the direct shipping option via Fedex and I feel more confident they will assist with warranty claims although we will still need to ship back to US. As mentioned very early in this thread, 1800cpap has 10% off promo (“Take10”) which still works. The online purchase went smoothly and the seller shipped my set within one working day – Fedex courier costs about USD 80 (for one Resmed set, extra tube, 2 masks) – everything arrived perfectly packed and in sealed condition.

Next is the HSA application, just fill up the form from their website and make sure you have a sleep report or prescription to attach together. They only replied a reference number without any details but I got my set from Fedex about 4 days after purchase without any delay – so I think HAS might have approved the import directly with Fedex using the tracking number. Not sure if I am expecting any GST bill later on but the courier did not collect any payment from me at the point of delivery.

Hope this info is useful to some of you. Let’s keep this thread going!

lhenriettal

Reaction score
Just bought a ResMed S10 for my hubby from 1800cpap following instructions from Shu on this thread. We received the delivery just 3 days after placing the order online and paid less than half of what local distributors are selling it for (even though the machine is Made in Singapore)! Huge thanks for the help and advice!

Pandule

Reaction score
Hi all,

Will you guys recommend the airmini to bring overseas instead of bringing the airsense 10?

And how do you guys carry the airsense 10. Do you throw everything to checked in luggage, or just carry everything via cabin luggage?

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Will you guys recommend the airmini to bring overseas instead of bringing the airsense 10?

And how do you guys carry the airsense 10. Do you throw everything to checked in luggage, or just carry everything via cabin luggage?

I would only recommend getting a 'travel' CPAP, if you actually need to travel frequently for work (or have other specific needs, like being outfield, and needing to operate on battery power). There are significant trade-offs buying a travel sized CPAP, but a frequent traveler might be willing to put up with those because of the size/weight advantage.

The Airsense 10 comes with an awesome quality carry case; so its easy to pack and carry it with you.

You should *always* hand carry your CPAP machine, and never check it in. It can get damaged by rough handling, or get lost or delayed. A CPAP is an essential medical device that you require.

In addition, I always keep all the components wrapped in disposable vinyl food bags - very very occasionally, security might try to handle your equipment, and that could potentially contaminate it.

Medical_Tag_Travel_Blog.png

I also have a tag that identifies it as essential medical equipment, and have my prescription inside as well.

I think the AirMini might be too new for anyone here to make a recommendation. You might like to check in with one of the CPAP forums instead.

Personally, from what I've seen so far, I'm not a huge fan of it, due to the significant 'vendor lock-in' (it only works with their masks only), and currently has no battery power at this time (it's something that I need). It's also hard to tell how well their HME works, and if it really lasts for up to 30 days. (I use Z1's HME in the winter with my Transcend; it generally lasts me up to about 4-6 days per unit; and you need to keep it in an airtight container while it isn't in use.

CodeCalibre

Reaction score
What batteries would you recommend for my AirSense 10? Also, I read in vPost that US doesn't allow export of batteries???

If anybody has experience in purchasing batteries for the CPAP (especially for Resmed AirSense10), I'm all ears!

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What batteries would you recommend for my AirSense 10? Also, I read in vPost that US doesn't allow export of batteries???

If anybody has experience in purchasing batteries for the CPAP (especially for Resmed AirSense10), I'm all ears!

It's hard to recommend a battery, without knowing why and how you plan to use it. Is it for backup purposes, in case the power goes out? Or do you need to use your cpap while outfield and off the grid? Would you need to travel with it? etc...

For starters, have you read Resmed's Battery Guide? It'll give you an overview of the requirements of the battery. In most cases, you won't be able to run the humidifier, because that draws significantly more power.

Most, if not all, airlines and airports prohibit batteries in check-in luggage, and I've had a friend who arrived at her destination with her powerbank missing from her checked luggage, and a note indicating it was removed by airport security at the airport she had transit through.

Some airports also restrict the size of batteries you are allowed on your carry on luggage (eg: PEK), and travelers passing though them have had to surrender their batteries when they exceeded the capacity allowed when their flights transit though them.

Personally, I wouldn't use vpost even if they paid me to import my packages. Find out for yourself why not here. Most forwarders have specific rules about transporting batteries, and will not ship for you if they are not strictly followed.

Last edited:

CodeCalibre

Reaction score
I am talking about batteries for airflight or even outdoor stuff like camping. I usually travel on flights that spans from the late evening to early morning. I am expected to sleep during the whole duration of the flight.

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am talking about batteries for airflight or even outdoor stuff like camping. I usually travel on flights that spans from the late evening to early morning. I am expected to sleep during the whole duration of the flight.

For me, business class seats always have a power outlet, and so I've not had to use a battery with my CPAP while flying.

For economy seats, I'd be sleeping almost upright, and my apnea is not an issue in that position. Also, I find the limited space in coach makes is really difficult to try to deploy a cpap - where will you put your unit? On the ground? I'm not sure if you're aware, but the carpet of the flight is one the *filthiest* location on any flight, and second only to the toilet floor; and I wouldn't want my cpap to be sending me air right off it. On the fold out table, or in your lap? Possible, but you might like to get a shorter hose if you're still using the 6ft hose your unit came with (I use a 4ft hose with my travel cpap); but I would be worried if it could get damaged if dropped also.

Instead, a good travel pillow is necessary for restful sleep in coach. The best travel pillow I've used, and still use even till today, is the memory foam Komfort Kollar. I've had mine for almost 7 years now, and am still very pleased with it. The only downside is it's rather bulky, and takes up a fair bit of space; but I just strap it onto the outside of my carry-on.

I also always use eyeshades, earplugs, *and* a pair of over-ear noise canceling headphones to sleep.

Lately, I've heard about the TRTL travel pillow, which I'm thinking of trying out. It seems to have pretty good reviews, and I'm always on the lookout for anything that might help increase my comfort while flying.

As for camping, it's a whole different ballgame. The first question would be, how many nights do you expect to be outfield with no access to a power outlet?

I bought a Transcend Auto, with multi-night battery P8, as my outfield trips are usually up to 2 nights, and only very occasionally up to 3. For my use, the multi-night battery is more than enough for 2, and has been enough to get me though the 3rd night (we usually only get 5-6h of sleep each night).

One reason why I decided not to get the HDM Z1 was because the unit drains the battery while it is plugged into the powershell, even while it is turned off. In addition, it appears to require a custom sized tube, and I'm not a huge fan of vendor lock-in.

If you would be outfield, a dedicated travel cpap may be recommended. They're designed for that purpose, and have a lower power draw, and so they can last longer with smaller batteries.

My transcend battery is 14.4V, 5200mAH (~ 74.88Wh), and it can power the unit for up to 16 hours at 14cm pressure. The Airsense 10 would appear to require a 12V, 18700mAH (~ 224.4Wh) battery for the same 16 hours at 14cm pressure (without the 50% safety margin; with, it comes up to 28000mah ~ 336Wh).

You can't fly though some airports (*) with a Li-ion battery rated more than 100Wh. You need a written letter from the airline if you wish to carry a battery more than 160Wh; but that includes all batteries in your carry on, so a laptop will take away from that as well. By default, you even won't be able to fly with 1 night (8h ~ 112.2Wh) of battery for your Airsense 10.

(*) I'm using PEK, because I transit though them semi-frequently and am familiar with their restrictions. Other airlines and airports may be more or less restrictive.

Last edited:

Pandule

Reaction score
How do you guys deal with the sound from the travel cpap machine?

I am at my first night with my HDM Z1 could fall asleep but am now wide awake for the past 1 hour+ as couldnt fall back to sleep.

mistraele

Reaction score
Hi.
Recently got diagnosed and trying out the philips. Does anyone know if just buying a mask from overseas is hsa approval still needed?

hyper_megaman

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys what's the cheapest or most subsidised way to get a CPAP? I have hospitalisation insurance and medisave. Any tips?

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys what's the cheapest or most subsidised way to get a CPAP? I have hospitalisation insurance and medisave. Any tips?

The only way to be sure is to speak to your insurer.

For those of us who aren't insured, importing from the US saves us about 30%-40% off local retail prices. You'll still need a prescription to do so, so make sure you get one before you try to do so.

hyper_megaman

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The only way to be sure is to speak to your insurer.

For those of us who aren't insured, importing from the US saves us about 30%-40% off local retail prices. You'll still need a prescription to do so, so make sure you get one before you try to do so.
i just read online that being diagnosed with sleep apnoea may affect future insurance coverage

is there any way i can buy from US without a prescription? do they check 100%?

dreant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i just read online that being diagnosed with sleep apnoea may affect future insurance coverage

is there any way i can buy from US without a prescription? do they check 100%?

CPAP machines and masks are prescription only. You could be breaking some laws by trying to buy or import one to SG without a prescription. While it's not the same and I'm not a lawyer, I would think in the eyes of the law, it could be considered being similar to trying to buy/import prescription sleeping pills, or painkillers.

Even when buying from overseas, they will ask to see your prescription first - at least, all the online CPAP retailers I've bought items from did so.

You really should not be trying to self-medicate, and attempt to use a CPAP machine if a doctor has not diagnosed with a condition that requires one.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.