HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

RESMED for sleep apnea? Any comments?

Like Tree138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #391

I am talking about batteries for airflight or even outdoor stuff like camping. I usually travel on flights that spans from the late evening to early morning. I am expected to sleep during the whole duration of the flight.
CodeCalibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 05:07 PM   #392
Supremacy Member

I am talking about batteries for airflight or even outdoor stuff like camping. I usually travel on flights that spans from the late evening to early morning. I am expected to sleep during the whole duration of the flight.
For me, business class seats always have a power outlet, and so I've not had to use a battery with my CPAP while flying.

For economy seats, I'd be sleeping almost upright, and my apnea is not an issue in that position. Also, I find the limited space in coach makes is really difficult to try to deploy a cpap - where will you put your unit? On the ground? I'm not sure if you're aware, but the carpet of the flight is one the *filthiest* location on any flight, and second only to the toilet floor; and I wouldn't want my cpap to be sending me air right off it. On the fold out table, or in your lap? Possible, but you might like to get a shorter hose if you're still using the 6ft hose your unit came with (I use a 4ft hose with my travel cpap); but I would be worried if it could get damaged if dropped also.

Instead, a good travel pillow is necessary for restful sleep in coach. The best travel pillow I've used, and still use even till today, is the memory foam Komfort Kollar. I've had mine for almost 7 years now, and am still very pleased with it. The only downside is it's rather bulky, and takes up a fair bit of space; but I just strap it onto the outside of my carry-on.

I also always use eyeshades, earplugs, *and* a pair of over-ear noise canceling headphones to sleep.

Lately, I've heard about the TRTL travel pillow, which I'm thinking of trying out. It seems to have pretty good reviews, and I'm always on the lookout for anything that might help increase my comfort while flying.

As for camping, it's a whole different ballgame. The first question would be, how many nights do you expect to be outfield with no access to a power outlet?

I bought a Transcend Auto, with multi-night battery P8, as my outfield trips are usually up to 2 nights, and only very occasionally up to 3. For my use, the multi-night battery is more than enough for 2, and has been enough to get me though the 3rd night (we usually only get 5-6h of sleep each night).

One reason why I decided not to get the HDM Z1 was because the unit drains the battery while it is plugged into the powershell, even while it is turned off. In addition, it appears to require a custom sized tube, and I'm not a huge fan of vendor lock-in.

If you would be outfield, a dedicated travel cpap may be recommended. They're designed for that purpose, and have a lower power draw, and so they can last longer with smaller batteries.

My transcend battery is 14.4V, 5200mAH (~ 74.88Wh), and it can power the unit for up to 16 hours at 14cm pressure. The Airsense 10 would appear to require a 12V, 18700mAH (~ 224.4Wh) battery for the same 16 hours at 14cm pressure (without the 50% safety margin; with, it comes up to 28000mah ~ 336Wh).

You can't fly though some airports (*) with a Li-ion battery rated more than 100Wh. You need a written letter from the airline if you wish to carry a battery more than 160Wh; but that includes all batteries in your carry on, so a laptop will take away from that as well. By default, you even won't be able to fly with 1 night (8h ~ 112.2Wh) of battery for your Airsense 10.

(*) I'm using PEK, because I transit though them semi-frequently and am familiar with their restrictions. Other airlines and airports may be more or less restrictive.

Last edited by dreant; 26-09-2017 at 09:08 PM..
dreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 04:11 AM   #393

How do you guys deal with the sound from the travel cpap machine?

I am at my first night with my HDM Z1 could fall asleep but am now wide awake for the past 1 hour+ as couldnt fall back to sleep.
Pandule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #394
Supremacy Member

How do you guys deal with the sound from the travel cpap machine?

I am at my first night with my HDM Z1 could fall asleep but am now wide awake for the past 1 hour+ as couldnt fall back to sleep.
HDM Support: How do I reduce the noise in my Z1?
Old 02-11-2017, 07:37 AM   #395

Hi.
Recently got diagnosed and trying out the philips. Does anyone know if just buying a mask from overseas is hsa approval still needed?
mistraele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:44 AM   #396
Supremacy Member

Hi.
Recently got diagnosed and trying out the philips. Does anyone know if just buying a mask from overseas is hsa approval still needed?
Yes, it is.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:14 AM   #397
Arch-Supremacy Member

Guys what's the cheapest or most subsidised way to get a CPAP? I have hospitalisation insurance and medisave. Any tips?
hyper_megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #398
Supremacy Member

Guys what's the cheapest or most subsidised way to get a CPAP? I have hospitalisation insurance and medisave. Any tips?
The only way to be sure is to speak to your insurer.

For those of us who aren't insured, importing from the US saves us about 30%-40% off local retail prices. You'll still need a prescription to do so, so make sure you get one before you try to do so.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:40 PM   #399
Arch-Supremacy Member

The only way to be sure is to speak to your insurer.

For those of us who aren't insured, importing from the US saves us about 30%-40% off local retail prices. You'll still need a prescription to do so, so make sure you get one before you try to do so.
i just read online that being diagnosed with sleep apnoea may affect future insurance coverage

is there any way i can buy from US without a prescription? do they check 100%?
hyper_megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:34 PM   #400
Supremacy Member

i just read online that being diagnosed with sleep apnoea may affect future insurance coverage

is there any way i can buy from US without a prescription? do they check 100%?
CPAP machines and masks are prescription only. You could be breaking some laws by trying to buy or import one to SG without a prescription. While it's not the same and I'm not a lawyer, I would think in the eyes of the law, it could be considered being similar to trying to buy/import prescription sleeping pills, or painkillers.

Even when buying from overseas, they will ask to see your prescription first - at least, all the online CPAP retailers I've bought items from did so.

You really should not be trying to self-medicate, and attempt to use a CPAP machine if a doctor has not diagnosed with a condition that requires one.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #401

1st Time CPAP Machine User

Hi All

I registered an acct on the Forum after having been diagnosed by the ENT Doc with OSA and AHI of 71......

Just got my CPAP (costly) Machine. The counts dropped to 4.

Would like to ask season users here whether the coming Black Friday Sales would be an event we should not miss on the accessories and parhaps a back up machine....

Hope to hear from you guys.

Thanks!
offboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #402

I have been using CPAP machine for about 10yrs. ResMed S7 and the new Airsense 10.
There is no need for backup. I change to the Airsense 10 recently due to new company that allow 100% claim upto 2k.
Buying small value item is not worth the shipping and trouble to get HSA permit.
DChng1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #403

Hi Chng

Many thks for the post.

I am covered by insurance as well. I thot the purchase of the CPAP machine was a one-off? I bought the APEX XT Auto as I am often on the road - 60% of the time. I am planning to get the S10 for a base (after reading this thread) on Black Friday.....

Probably need to check with my agent.

Regards!

Danny

Last edited by offboater; 10-11-2017 at 03:49 PM..
offboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #404

I claim under company medical insurance. Upto 2k per policy yr. I always read my benefits in depth.
DChng1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #405
Supremacy Member

In most cases, if there is something that you need to get, then it doesn't hurt to wait the next two weeks for Black Friday to see if the item you're planning to get will go on sale. But on the whole, I feel that the savings from that will not be very substantial, especially when compared to the savings from importing vs buying locally (~40%).

The savings really comes from buying and importing CPAP machines and masks (compared to buying locally). When you do so, you can add accessories to your order (tubes, filters, etc) to ship together, and you're still ahead. However, if you only need these simple accessories (ie: you're *not* getting a new machine or mask), you would generally be better off getting them from ebay instead.

A CPAP machine is not a one-off purchase. You should expect about 4-6 years of service from one, before you might need to replace it.

Do you need a backup machine? Considering it takes less than a week to get a new one if you purchase online, I don't really think so.

I too have to travel quite frequently, and have an S10 Autoset at home (had an S9 Autoset before that), and a Transcend Auto for travel/outfield use. Whether or not you need (or just want?) a second machine really depends on your specific circumstances (and how much extra cash you have in your wallet to toss around).

What I *do* highly recommend is, if you don't have a full face mask, and are currently using pillows or a nasal mask, to get one. You'll need it to continue your therapy if you're ever ill and have a congested nose.

You should also check with your insurer if you would be able to claim reimbursement if you purchase overseas and import it; although I'm not entirely sure why you would want to do so - if you're getting reimbursed, buying locally will ensure you have support and warranty service should you require it. Most of us import because it saves us money instead. I'm not so sure I would put in that much effort to wait for a sale, and jump though the various hoops to import a unit to help my insurer save money if I had one (and risk not getting reimbursed if it does not qualify...)
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.