HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

RESMED for sleep apnea? Any comments?

Like Tree136Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-10-2020, 08:19 PM   #946
Supremacy Member

Based on their website, no prescription needed if you ship direct to SG.
While the retailer will not require a prescription to sell to you, you will still need one to import it into SG.
dreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 09:10 PM   #947

While the retailer will not require a prescription to sell to you, you will still need one to import it into SG.
Local retailer will provide you with different prices for the same CPAP machine depending on which hospital did the sleep test for you.
007Mi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 06:18 AM   #948
Supremacy Member

Local retailer will provide you with different prices for the same CPAP machine depending on which hospital did the sleep test for you.
Wow. This is the first time I've heard anything like this. Did you personally experience it? Which retailer, and how did you find out? Did you call them out on it, and what was their reply?

Last edited by dreant; 23-10-2020 at 09:44 PM..
Old 28-10-2020, 05:59 PM   #949
Supremacy Member

currently in my mid 20s, am skinny boi, with slight deviated septum

been snoring farking loud since secondary 1, when overnight at school during camp or when sleeping at home, friends family will always say my snore like bomb damn loud

didn't think much of it until NS, went to see a doctor and subsequently went for sleep test, turns out I have a AHI of I think 18, which is "moderate sleep apnea", did not tried or bought the cpap in the end, due to some financial issues and waiting time to rent

currently still not using cpap.. I will fall asleep on the bus back home after work without fail, and when at night when using computer after reaching home, will start to doze off then sleep about 10pm-12midnight

will find myself having dry throat in the morning, and sore throat quite often, also will wake up in the middle of the night some times

don't know will worsen in the future when I get older or not

hello, posted this in another sleep apnea thread in hwz..

I was last diagnosed in 2015 with moderate sleep apnea, did not proceed with a cpap afterwards, but recently felt like its starting to be a concern, not sure if my condition has worsened or AHI increased in rating..

Was wondering whether if it would be wise to just get a cpap machine somewhere, without prescription(or if the 2015 still works lol) and use it, or go through the whole process of polyclinic > referral > sleep test > rental/purchase again, as the last time I did this was during NS, free of charge cos of subsidy.

Anyone, please advise
Meowtiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 06:46 PM   #950

Should still work. I had used my old prescription of about 10yrs+ to import a new machine. I usually buy my stuff from https://www.1800cpap.com/ they are alot cheaper than local even with Fedex shipping and import GST.
DChng1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 06:56 PM   #951
Supremacy Member

hello, posted this in another sleep apnea thread in hwz..

I was last diagnosed in 2015 with moderate sleep apnea, did not proceed with a cpap afterwards, but recently felt like its starting to be a concern, not sure if my condition has worsened or AHI increased in rating..

Was wondering whether if it would be wise to just get a cpap machine somewhere, without prescription(or if the 2015 still works lol) and use it, or go through the whole process of polyclinic > referral > sleep test > rental/purchase again, as the last time I did this was during NS, free of charge cos of subsidy.

Anyone, please advise
If you have a prescription for a CPAP from 2015, you would be able to use it to purchase and/or import a unit. If you have lost it, the clinic you were at should be able to get it reprinted for you.

If you do not have a prescription, you would not be able to. If you return to see your doctor, he may be able to write one for you.

Both Cpap machines, and Cpap masks are prescription-only items. The sale/purchase/import of such items without a proper doctor's prescription is an offense under the Medicines Act (Chapter 176). If you are found guilty, the penalty is a fine of up to $5000 and/or up to 2 years imprisonment.
Old 28-10-2020, 07:14 PM   #952
Supremacy Member

If you have a prescription for a CPAP from 2015, you would be able to use it to purchase and/or import a unit. If you have lost it, the clinic you were at should be able to get it reprinted for you.

If you do not have a prescription, you would not be able to. If you return to see your doctor, he may be able to write one for you.

Both Cpap machines, and Cpap masks are prescription-only items. The sale/purchase/import of such items without a proper doctor's prescription is an offense under the Medicines Act (Chapter 176). If you are found guilty, the penalty is a fine of up to $5000 and/or up to 2 years imprisonment.
Thanks guys, another thing is, I have not tried on any of the mask nor tested the machines.. and there seems to be different kind of devices and accessories be it mask/tubings and bipap/cpap..

without a professional help I'm not sure whether it is wise to just order something from overseas online, warranty and brand is also slight concern, currently a working adult so price should not be of much problem, although the device is in the range of thousands.
Old 28-10-2020, 09:46 PM   #953
Supremacy Member

Thanks guys, another thing is, I have not tried on any of the mask nor tested the machines.. and there seems to be different kind of devices and accessories be it mask/tubings and bipap/cpap..

without a professional help I'm not sure whether it is wise to just order something from overseas online, warranty and brand is also slight concern, currently a working adult so price should not be of much problem, although the device is in the range of thousands.
Yes, there are several different devices (CPAP, APAP, BiPAP, DPAP, etc). The "professional help" will come from your doctor, who will prescribe what you need for your condition. These are medical devices, and you should not be trying to self-medicate - even less so if you're not even certain of your own condition.

See a doctor, get a prescription, then come back and ask when you know what you actually need.

But, the general advice is, it's significantly cheaper to import. You must have a prescription to do so. Ask your doctor to write you one.

You can also buy locally, and most local retailers will "loan" you a unit for a short period of time for "free" (with the condition that you buy a new mask from them... except, just like their machines, their masks usually costs 2x to 4x more when compared to the price of importing one...).

As for the device, ask the sleep clinic which brands they recommend. These machines usually generate detailed data output, and your doctor will need to read it to see the progress of your therapy. There is no data standard across brands, and while sleep clinics are usually able to read the data from the larger brands, they may not be able to do so for some of the more obscure units.

Last edited by dreant; 28-10-2020 at 09:57 PM..
Old 28-10-2020, 10:30 PM   #954
Supremacy Member

Thanks, will try calling up SGH to see whether if it's possible to retrieve, from what I read online, it seems to be impossible, will try tomorrow in the day nonetheless.

In the event that I do get a prescription, I would probably look for a local retailer to have a free trial with the machine/masks before committing to a purchase, I think the best option would be to order online like you guys advised, since the price locally is really much more costlier.

it was Moderate OSA 5 years ago, not sure about right now, since tweaking of settings/air pressure is doable on my own, just more trial and error seems like.. so hopefully I won't have to go through a sleep study and waiting again

EDIT: Will sleeping on side help with OSA, I have a sleep app and I noticed the snoring gets significantly lesser when I sleep on my sides, like, will I not need the cpap if sleeping on side actually reduces or get rid of my AHI episodes at night?
can I just get a random not so branded cpap device online like carousell or lazada instead?

Last edited by Meowtiko; 29-10-2020 at 10:59 AM..
Old 06-11-2020, 11:14 AM   #955

I just finished my sleep test at nuh. I think I just slept for like 2 hrs... The rest of time just trying to fall asleep but failed. Sleeping in that damn cold hospital room is so difficult for me😞 and... 1am there was even a false fire alarm... I'm now so concerned with my report cuz I don't usually have that kind of sleep😑 How long should we sleep properly so that the technician could generate a proper report ah?
yyyyhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 10:04 PM   #956

Thanks, will try calling up SGH to see whether if it's possible to retrieve, from what I read online, it seems to be impossible, will try tomorrow in the day nonetheless.

In the event that I do get a prescription, I would probably look for a local retailer to have a free trial with the machine/masks before committing to a purchase, I think the best option would be to order online like you guys advised, since the price locally is really much more costlier.

it was Moderate OSA 5 years ago, not sure about right now, since tweaking of settings/air pressure is doable on my own, just more trial and error seems like.. so hopefully I won't have to go through a sleep study and waiting again

EDIT: Will sleeping on side help with OSA, I have a sleep app and I noticed the snoring gets significantly lesser when I sleep on my sides, like, will I not need the cpap if sleeping on side actually reduces or get rid of my AHI episodes at night?
can I just get a random not so branded cpap device online like carousell or lazada instead?
You can loan from SGH for a fee for a month in the past.

Sleeping on the side reduces the effect of apnea. CPAP is the gold standard but if sleeping on the side works for you, then go ahead. I do that if I am having a flu or blocked nose.
Old 15-11-2020, 10:06 PM   #957

If you have a prescription, might want to order a mask online and loan a unit from SGH for a small fee for a month. Not sure if it was free.
Old 22-11-2020, 12:31 AM   #958
Master Member

I would like to use resmed My Air app for quick monitoring of my cpap. Mine is export set, is there anyway I can do it?
ducky_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #959
Supremacy Member

I would like to use resmed My Air app for quick monitoring of my cpap. Mine is export set, is there anyway I can do it?
No.

The S10 contains a no-sim data modem (usually 2G) that is allowed to transfer data on one of the carriers in that country. It does not work if you are outside the local coverage area of that carrier.

In addition, it is only supported in some countries only - so, even if you purchased a local set in SG, it will not work here.

You can monitor the progress of your therapy with OSCAR. Yes, you would need to take the sdcard out of the unit to do so, but it does store up to 365 days of usage data, and 30 days of detailed data, so you would only have to do it once a month if you wish to have a copy of everything or just once a year to get a general overview of your usage.

Last edited by dreant; 23-11-2020 at 11:29 AM..
Old 23-11-2020, 09:33 PM   #960
Master Member

No.

The S10 contains a no-sim data modem (usually 2G) that is allowed to transfer data on one of the carriers in that country. It does not work if you are outside the local coverage area of that carrier.

In addition, it is only supported in some countries only - so, even if you purchased a local set in SG, it will not work here.

You can monitor the progress of your therapy with OSCAR. Yes, you would need to take the sdcard out of the unit to do so, but it does store up to 365 days of usage data, and 30 days of detailed data, so you would only have to do it once a month if you wish to have a copy of everything or just once a year to get a general overview of your usage.
Thank you for sharing so much and also sharing additional details.
ducky_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.