HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

RESMED for sleep apnea? Any comments?

Like Tree138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-12-2020, 12:36 AM   #991
Supremacy Member

Been using for a month of S10. Finally I can get to transferred my sleep statistic. When I pluck the SD card to my pc it was unreadable (not able to detect) formatted the card to exfat32 is readable by pc. I placed it back to machine to run for a night and the machine is not able to write the data into the memory card. What is wrong?
The file system AND directory structure of the Resmed data cards are very specific.

If you formatted the card with your PC, all your previous data is now lost; there is nothing else you can do except have your Resmed unit format the card again. If you format it with your PC, it may not have the correct file system that the unit requires.

As for the directory structure, Windows will write a Folder called "System Volume Information" onto the card when you insert it into your PC. Resmed will then refuse to accept the card when it detects this change.

If this is your problem, you can try to fix it by deleting the "System Information Folder" via file explorer. If that does not work (because Windows keeps recreating the directory), do the following:

Open a command prompt (start->command prompt), change to the SD card drive (eg: "E:<enter>", and type this command:

rmdir "System Volume Information" /s /q
Type it exactly as you see, with the quotes, and with a space before and after the /s and /q commands. This will remove the folder. Put the SD card back in your unit, and it should work fine.

Always remember to write protect the sdcard when you take it out, and before you insert it into your PC. Also remember to flip it back to write enabled before putting it back in the unit.

Last edited by dreant; 23-12-2020 at 02:04 AM..
dreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 08:03 AM   #992
Master Member

The file system AND directory structure of the Resmed data cards are very specific.

If you formatted the card with your PC, all your previous data is now lost; there is nothing else you can do except have your Resmed unit format the card again. If you format it with your PC, it may not have the correct file system that the unit requires.

As for the directory structure, Windows will write a Folder called "System Volume Information" onto the card when you insert it into your PC. Resmed will then refuse to accept the card when it detects this change.

If this is your problem, you can try to fix it by deleting the "System Information Folder" via file explorer. If that does not work (because Windows keeps recreating the directory), do the following:

Open a command prompt (start->command prompt), change to the SD card drive (eg: "E:<enter>", and type this command:

rmdir "System Volume Information" /s /q
Type it exactly as you see, with the quotes, and with a space before and after the /s and /q commands. This will remove the folder. Put the SD card back in your unit, and it should work fine.

Always remember to write protect the sdcard when you take it out, and before you insert it into your PC. Also remember to flip it back to write enabled before putting it back in the unit.
Hi Dreamt, thanks for sharing so much details. I will have a try tonight. My issue now is that if I put a reformatted exfat32 card into resmed unit for it to reformat itself. Will this works?

I face issue when I tried to plug into the pc and I get error the card is invalid (something along the line) I will confirm tonight.
ducky_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 10:19 PM   #993
Master Member

It seems to be working fine now. Let me monitor for another few days. Thank you.
ducky_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 06:30 AM   #994

hi, my Resmed cpap machine stopped working last night. the power adapter not lighted even after i switch off and on. Any idea what is the issue here? Got the set in 2017. Do you think i can use a 90 watt laptop power adapter to replace the Resmed ori power adapter?
Seri02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 04:45 PM   #995
Honorary Member

Have you all tried wedge pillow?

I heard from few fellas it works to certain extend to some of them. One of them told me he used the machines on n off with but always with the wedge pillow
Beta_Tester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:09 PM   #996
Supremacy Member

hi, my Resmed cpap machine stopped working last night. the power adapter not lighted even after i switch off and on. Any idea what is the issue here? Got the set in 2017. Do you think i can use a 90 watt laptop power adapter to replace the Resmed ori power adapter?
Probably best option would be to bring it in to the local distributor to try and troubleshoot. If it is just the power adapter only, it should not be too expensive to replace. 1800cpap has the S10 power supply for about USD57 (after using the 10% discount coupon).

Before you bring it in, maybe just try to replace the power cord to the adapter first, to make sure that isn't the problem.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:29 PM   #997
Supremacy Member

here's an article from thenewpaper today.

https://www.tnp.sg/lifestyle/health/...rous-you-think

basically talks about the dangers, associated issues and also mentioned types of treatments and also oral devices to keep the airways open.

Posted from PCWX using SM-T720
gibson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:40 PM   #998

Is there any valid promo codes for any website now?
I am thinking of getting the philips dreamstation go or just philips dreamstation or a S10.
Most likely getting the dreamstation go since it is still cheaper than dreamstation itself that is sold in SG.
Any comments for it?
recca85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:49 PM   #999
Supremacy Member

Is there any valid promo codes for any website now?
I am thinking of getting the philips dreamstation go or just philips dreamstation or a S10.
Most likely getting the dreamstation go since it is still cheaper than dreamstation itself that is sold in SG.
Any comments for it?
Make sure you have a valid prescription before you try to purchase a unit and import from overseas.

1800cpap has a 10% discount code "take10".

If you are thinking about a travel sized cpap, you might like to read some of the earlier posts in this thread...

Last edited by dreant; 07-01-2021 at 01:56 PM..
Old 07-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #1000

Been trying to look through but not much direct comparision.
Now trying to compare prices across while waiting for the holiday to provide a prescription.

My TTSH doc only gave me a vendor list and AHI value with his stamp.
Only when I started looking through here then I see the need for prescription. I can't believe an experienced doctor is so "unprofessional". He has a on job trainee doctor with him too. The clinic got my sleep report ready but I ask them if it is a memo or prescription but they say it is not. So now have to wait again.

1800 just gave me a 10% code "SLEEP" but 1800 is more exp than CPAP.
Old 10-01-2021, 10:13 AM   #1001

Probably best option would be to bring it in to the local distributor to try and troubleshoot. If it is just the power adapter only, it should not be too expensive to replace. 1800cpap has the S10 power supply for about USD57 (after using the 10% discount coupon).

Before you bring it in, maybe just try to replace the power cord to the adapter first, to make sure that isn't the problem.
thank you

yes. managed to replace the power adapter and Cpap is working. 🙂
Seri02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #1002

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I have ordered online with bundle goodies and even an ozone CPAP cleaner! It is on its way to SG and I also declared to HSA.

Getting a 'prescription' is the hard part. I actually called TTSH twice to get a written note for requiring CPAP machine (supposed to be memo but Doc used an excuse chit) and then for my sleep report.
The initial paper I had was just a local vendor list with an AHI value and Doc name (good enough for local 1 month trial).

I still have credits from that website. I will be do another order of accessories and will use ezship instead for cheaper shipping. If anyone is interested to order some small parts, we can consolidate and share shipping(to SG) or to hit minimum order for free US shipping(USD99).

Last edited by recca85; 14-01-2021 at 10:27 AM..
Old 14-01-2021, 05:26 PM   #1003
Supremacy Member

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I have ordered online with bundle goodies and even an ozone CPAP cleaner! It is on its way to SG and I also declared to HSA.
You might like to do a bit of research about ozone cleaners before you use one. It seems, the general consensus from various online forums is that ozone damages masks, and more importantly, the seals inside the cpap unit over time.

Since Feb 2020, at least one major manufacturer's warranty will no longer cover damage caused by using an Ozone cleaner, and another reserved the right to void the warranty if they determine that the use of an ozone cleaner was the cause of the defect. IMO, this is basically confirmation that such devices do cause damage to the unit.

Resmed: 8 Jan 2020 Letter
...ResMed has observed that prolonged and repeated use of an ozone device may eventually cause internal damage to a ResMed machine, leading to an increase in motor noise.

Warranty update:Effective for sales of ResMed machines on or after February 1, 2020, ResMed’s limited warranty will exclude damage to ResMed machines caused by use of ozone devices...

...ResMed is not taking a position on whether you should use an ozone device. That decision is up to you, as the patient, to balance the convenience of using an ozone device versus the likelihood of potential damage to your ResMed machine...

Resmed: Warranty information on all products
Effective February 1, 2020, ozone damage is specifically excluded

CPAP manufacturers address certain cleaning devices
Philips Respironics... “reserves the right to void a warranty if it is determined that the use of SoClean caused a defect for which a device otherwise under warranty was returned.”

In addition, there are some safety issues regarding the use of an ozone cleaner you should also be aware of.

FDA Reminds Patients that Devices Claiming to Clean, Disinfect or Sanitize CPAP Machines Using Ozone Gas or UV Light Have Not Been FDA Authorized
Exposure to high levels of ozone gas may worsen a patients’ existing chronic respiratory diseases or increase the chance of a respiratory infection. UV light-based products could cause burns, eye damage or increase the risk of skin cancer due to over exposure.

Finally, while it supposedly kills bacteria/germs; it does not remove the deposits of oils/gunk/etc inside of your masks/tubes; so you still need to perform your regular daily mask & weekly tube washing and drying as usual anyway. I'm not sure if there is any significant benefit to using one, but it sure seems like they come with a number of downsides to take into consideration.

There are other non-ozone based cleaning equipment that you might like to look into, if convenience is paramount for you. For me, I'm quite fine with simply cleaning my equipment as recommended by the manufacturer regularly.

Last edited by dreant; 15-01-2021 at 02:32 PM..
Old 16-01-2021, 09:09 AM   #1004

Wow. This is the first time I've heard anything like this. Did you personally experience it? Which retailer, and how did you find out? Did you call them out on it, and what was their reply?
Sorry I replying this only now as I missed your question previously.

I booked my sleep test at NUH, after sleep test doctor never give me any prescription, only sleep report. I have to call in to request for one to buy online.

Went shopping for CPAP and came to Shaw House where there is one company selling Philip Respironics. The sleep tech informed that since my report is from NUH, $1600 for machine. He let slipped that if my report from SGH, $1200 for same machine.

Then I decided to tell him to fly kite in my heart, ordered on Amazon for $680 all in for Dreamstation Auto CPAP. Add Dreamwear mask for $150+/-

Before that loan from SGH 1 month for free Resmed S9 try try
007Mi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 01:15 AM   #1005

Thanks for the links and info.
Ya I know about the risks. But the idea is to kill those germs that simple washing can't do. Water and soap can kill most but not all. Don't think I can clean that well.
Just need to take note to let it rest after the ozone in a ventilated place for a few hours.
If this is not good, probably I will try the lumin uvc which is similar to those devices use to santise phone.
Warranty wise should not be a problem. Don't think I will put the main machine into santise and mine is a US set.

You might like to do a bit of research about ozone cleaners before you use one. It seems, the general consensus from various online forums is that ozone damages masks, and more importantly, the seals inside the cpap unit over time.

Since Feb 2020, at least one major manufacturer's warranty will no longer cover damage caused by using an Ozone cleaner, and another reserved the right to void the warranty if they determine that the use of an ozone cleaner was the cause of the defect. IMO, this is basically confirmation that such devices do cause damage to the unit.

Resmed: 8 Jan 2020 Letter
...ResMed has observed that prolonged and repeated use of an ozone device may eventually cause internal damage to a ResMed machine, leading to an increase in motor noise.

Warranty update:Effective for sales of ResMed machines on or after February 1, 2020, ResMed’s limited warranty will exclude damage to ResMed machines caused by use of ozone devices...

...ResMed is not taking a position on whether you should use an ozone device. That decision is up to you, as the patient, to balance the convenience of using an ozone device versus the likelihood of potential damage to your ResMed machine...

Resmed: Warranty information on all products
Effective February 1, 2020, ozone damage is specifically excluded

CPAP manufacturers address certain cleaning devices
Philips Respironics... “reserves the right to void a warranty if it is determined that the use of SoClean caused a defect for which a device otherwise under warranty was returned.”

In addition, there are some safety issues regarding the use of an ozone cleaner you should also be aware of.

FDA Reminds Patients that Devices Claiming to Clean, Disinfect or Sanitize CPAP Machines Using Ozone Gas or UV Light Have Not Been FDA Authorized
Exposure to high levels of ozone gas may worsen a patients’ existing chronic respiratory diseases or increase the chance of a respiratory infection. UV light-based products could cause burns, eye damage or increase the risk of skin cancer due to over exposure.

Finally, while it supposedly kills bacteria/germs; it does not remove the deposits of oils/gunk/etc inside of your masks/tubes; so you still need to perform your regular daily mask & weekly tube washing and drying as usual anyway. I'm not sure if there is any significant benefit to using one, but it sure seems like they come with a number of downsides to take into consideration.

There are other non-ozone based cleaning equipment that you might like to look into, if convenience is paramount for you. For me, I'm quite fine with simply cleaning my equipment as recommended by the manufacturer regularly.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.