www.hardwarezone.com.sg


www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Health & Fitness Corner (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/health-fitness-corner-48/)
-   -   RESMED for sleep apnea? Any comments? (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/health-fitness-corner-48/resmed-sleep-apnea-any-comments-4149892.html)

joshua_teo 24-03-2013 04:19 PM

RESMED for sleep apnea? Any comments?
 
Has anyone tried this RESMED product? Is it useful? Where to buy and how much does it cost for a bundle?

joshua_teo 26-03-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairyshushu (Post 74951006)
Plus one 10char

Sorry, what do you mean by Plus one 10char ?

Jetzie 11-04-2013 10:20 AM

You have sleep apnea? or they call it OSA?

My father recently did a sleep study at hospital and doctor diagnose him with OSA and ask him to get a CPAP machine.

He went to a few other vendors. resmed is quite exp thou, end up we found a vendor that carry quite a big range of products and my dad bought from them. Service is not bad, quite prompt.

this is the website for the vendor my dad went.

Avattvon Medical

dreant 26-12-2013 08:10 AM

CPAP machines and masks require a doctor's prescription to purchase, so he'll need a sleep study performed before he can buy one.

Have the clinic refer your dad to the specialist for a sleep study. From there, they can best advise on his options.

They are also significantly overpriced in Singapore. I bought a new ResMed S9 AutoSet from secondwindcpap, and it was about 35% cheaper than buying locally. You could save even more if you're willing to buy a used unit.

While I do sleep better with it, it does take some getting used to, and not everyone can accept it. There are nights where I can't sleep with my mask on, but having a night of poor sleep was still better than no sleep.

The main complaint that I have, is that it is quite bulky and not travel friendly.

hazmat_83 26-12-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreant (Post 82219243)
CPAP machines and masks require a doctor's prescription to purchase, so he'll need a sleep study performed before he can buy one.

Have the clinic refer your dad to the specialist for a sleep study. From there, they can best advise on his options.

They are also significantly overpriced in Singapore. I bought a new ResMed S9 AutoSet from secondwindcpap, and it was about 35% cheaper than buying locally. You could save even more if you're willing to buy a used unit.

While I do sleep better with it, it does take some getting used to, and not everyone can accept it. There are nights where I can't sleep with my mask on, but having a night of poor sleep was still better than no sleep.

The main complaint that I have, is that it is quite bulky and not travel friendly.

Thanks for the headsup dreant. I've been wanting to buy one for myself, but the local price compared to prices in other countries have put me off. Looking at importing. One question though- do you have to get a transformer, since the voltage is different here?

Regards

dreant 26-12-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazmat_83 (Post 82235409)
Thanks for the headsup dreant. I've been wanting to buy one for myself, but the local price compared to prices in other countries have put me off. Looking at importing. One question though- do you have to get a transformer, since the voltage is different here?

No. The ResMed S9 adapter supports 100-240V. Most CPAP machines do (but always check before buying).

The main thing is to have cash prepared when the shipment arrives, as you'll usually have to pay 7% GST and a small handling fee (between $10-25).

insing 22-09-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshua_teo (Post 74947937)
Has anyone tried this RESMED product? Is it useful? Where to buy and how much does it cost for a bundle?

Hello! I was travelling in Singapore last month and got into a similar situation. After doing some research online, I went to a vendor near Mount Elizabeth Hospital of Orchard Road. This vendor is different from the other vendors that I can find online because they are more clinical. They provide advises and consultation on how to use the CPAP machine, the ways to maintain it and more. This vendor also gives me an impression that they are not hard selling their CPAP machines. You can visit their website by googling sleep easy centre.

Cheers!

teckgamer 23-09-2014 09:58 AM

My friend had one and he went to have his tonsil removed.

dreant 23-09-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insing (Post 88706196)
Hello! I was travelling in Singapore last month and got into a similar situation. After doing some research online, I went to a vendor near Mount Elizabeth Hospital of Orchard Road. This vendor is different from the other vendors that I can find online because they are more clinical. They provide advises and consultation on how to use the CPAP machine, the ways to maintain it and more. This vendor also gives me an impression that they are not hard selling their CPAP machines. You can visit their website by googling sleep easy centre.

Cheers!

Hello Eugene/Sleep Easy Center,

A first post user, digging up an ancient CPAP thread, to promote your own business. :D:s22:

There is no need to 'hard sell' CPAP machines, as they are prescription only. Those who need one, will buy. And *every* CPAP vendor provides 'advise and consultation' on how to use the machine.

CPAP machines and accessories can be bought for almost 40% cheaper online, shipping and GST included. Unless you can do better than the prices of buying online from overseas, HWZ isn't the place to promote your business, as most people here are savvy enough to buy online.

What you really want to do, is influence the people at the sleep disorders clinic. Even though they provided an entire list of CPAP retailers in Singapore, they still made a 'recommendation' on which to get, and who to go to. Unless you can get your business into that first recommendation, nothing is really going to change for you.

Good luck!

saebino 01-11-2014 06:51 PM

May I recommend thecpapshop, just do a quick google and u will find them.

I was quoted by a local vendor, the mask for $330 and the RESmed S9 for $2400.

Going to thecpapshop, i shipped with gst, it amounted to $1250+

I do need to email them a scanned copy of my sleep study report, which I went to CGH to do.

After using the CPAP, my gf can sleep properly, and I do not feel lethargic in the day. Quality of life has improved greatly and I am more motivated now to start exercising.

Hope all friends out there who are suffering from OSA or know friends or loved ones who are snoring every night, to give CPAP treatment consideration.

Sleep tight!

apache99 18-01-2015 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saebino (Post 89651259)
May I recommend thecpapshop, just do a quick google and u will find them.

I was quoted by a local vendor, the mask for $330 and the RESmed S9 for $2400.

Going to thecpapshop, i shipped with gst, it amounted to $1250+

I do need to email them a scanned copy of my sleep study report, which I went to CGH to do.

After using the CPAP, my gf can sleep properly, and I do not feel lethargic in the day. Quality of life has improved greatly and I am more motivated now to start exercising.

Hope all friends out there who are suffering from OSA or know friends or loved ones who are snoring every night, to give CPAP treatment consideration.

Sleep tight!

Hi All,
I am looking to get a CPAP machine after sleep study recommendation. As I understand that online is much cheaper than the selling price in Singapore, I would like to know on how do you resolve the warranty and servicing issue.

Would the shop carrying a particular brand be willing to service the products that you bought online as well as honoring the warranty?

Any feedback on how to resolve this?

thanks a lot in advance!

dreant 18-01-2015 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apache99 (Post 91414267)
I am looking to get a CPAP machine after sleep study recommendation. As I understand that online is much cheaper than the selling price in Singapore, I would like to know on how do you resolve the warranty and servicing issue.

Would the shop carrying a particular brand be willing to service the products that you bought online as well as honoring the warranty?

Any feedback on how to resolve this?

thanks a lot in advance!

When you parallel import an item by yourself, you usually have to ship it back to the country you bought from should you require warranty. That said, I'm inclined to believe most medical items are rather robust, and unlikely to fail unless you've abused it. That said, you're paying almost 40% to half less when you import it - shipping it round-trip to the US still wouldn't break the bank.

CPAP machines don't really require servicing. The local RESMED agent can do the annual service for units they didn't sell, but they add like an extra $50 or so to their regular fee. I don't see much value in it, and only did it once. I'm to understand they check if the pressure is correct, and replace the filter for you (something that you should be doing regularly on your own).

I've never asked, but I would think they can also perform out-of-warranty repairs for a fee; but if my unit wasn't working, I'd probably be looking to replace it, rather than repair.

As previously shared, I still recommend Second Wind CPAP. I've bought from them twice (my unit, and later replacement masks and tubes), and they've always been prompt, and their prices are great.

I occasionally have to travel, and am thinking about replacing it with a travel-friendly unit (HDM Z1 or Transcend II)...

apache99 19-01-2015 04:15 PM

Thanks Dreant!
do you know on which machines are better? Resmed or Respironics? Any reason on why do you go with Resmed?
Thanks again for your advice!

dreant 19-01-2015 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apache99 (Post 91444113)
Thanks Dreant!
do you know on which machines are better? Resmed or Respironics? Any reason on why do you go with Resmed?
Thanks again for your advice!

I might have to take back what I said about medical equipment being more robust - I was doing a quick search on the HDM Z1, and it seems there were a number of people who had trouble with their units. I haven't looked into too much detail, so I'm not sure if those posts may have been from their initial batch, and/or if things are better now.

I mainly went with the ResMed at that time, as it was what the Sleep Disorders Unit recommended. While all machines effectively served the same (or similar purposes), they advised me to get the S9, which was supposed to be one of the better units at that time (~2.5-3 years ago).

noobnob 10-02-2015 09:19 PM

Hi all,
I highly recommend the Philips Respironics System One Auto CPAP Machine.

You would not need to adjust the pressure plus, there is an option to add a humidifier which work wonders for me as I used to wake up with a dry mouth and start coughing.
Not any more.
Really easy to use and whenever I do my visit to the doctor, just bring the memory card along.

Highly recommend this set. Have a pleasant night sleep ahead.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © SPH Magazines Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.