Running pace

v6800

Reaction score
I think anyone can improve their running with training and determination. I failed most of my IPPT when young. Even when i passed, it is always boderline.

Today, i feel healthy and fitter than my younger days.

Age - 57
2.4km : 14:20 mins average. Best timing 13:35
3km : 18 mins best timing
4km : 25 mins average
RHR : 46
VO2max : 45

substancia

Reaction score
I think running natural is the most important thing ba. But don’t slam leg into ground can le. Lkl

Also another article for run reads. Highly suggest every runner to read :)

https://www.outsideonline.com/2329876/iaaf-biomechanics-study-worlds-best-runners

"The heel strikes back: One of the main tenets of the barefoot/minimalist running movement is that landing on your heel is bad for you. And it’s true that studies of people who grow up without shoes in places like Kenya show that they tend to land on their forefoot or midfoot when they run barefoot. But what about the elite runners who emerge from East Africa? Do they continue to run that way once they have access to shoes?

Of the 70 runners analyzed during the fourth lap of the men’s marathon, 47 of them (67 percent) landed on their heels, 21 (30 percent) landed on their midfoot, and two (3 percent) landed on their forefoot. The percentages were similar in the 78 competitors analyzed in the women’s marathon: 57 (73 percent) heel, 19 (24 percent) midfoot, and 2 (3 percent) forefoot. And this pattern wasn’t confined to particular countries or finishing places. In the men’s marathon, the top four finishers, hailing from Kenya, Ethiopia, Tanzania, and Great Britain, were all heel strikers during all four laps of the race."

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with Maffetone training method?

Just started and finding it very difficult to keep to max heart rate.

Last edited:

substancia

Reaction score
I tried it last week also. It’s hard. I’m 36 this year, so I must run at 144.

My normal runs is at about 6.5-7 pace but to do this, I have to really go slow at 9.30-9.50, else I will go above.

A normal 5km run for me is about 30mins +-, but using this method I can only do it in 45mins approx.

After one week, I find that I can run with higher pace, 7ish but still within the MAF heart rate.

Still trying the method

Anyone familiar with Maffetone training method?

Just started and finding it very difficult to keep to max heart rate.

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I tried it last week also. It’s hard. I’m 36 this year, so I must run at 144.

My normal runs is at about 6.5-7 pace but to do this, I have to really go slow at 9.30-9.50, else I will go above.

A normal 5km run for me is about 30mins +-, but using this method I can only do it in 45mins approx.

After one week, I find that I can run with higher pace, 7ish but still within the MAF heart rate.

Still trying the method

My maf heart rate at 119 is faster than a walk but slower than a jog. Really tough and frustrating. :(

Last edited:

substancia

Reaction score
FvNuVdp.jpg

Avg 144BPM

But can feel that my body can go on for longer mileage

Last edited:

substancia

Reaction score

Bro can try this for a start. I really enjoy this method of running. Slow and steady. :)

thanks guys..

going to try this Maffetone method..:s12:

am a newbie in running..
started very recently only..

pace is slow... 6+ min/km..
usually just run once or twice a week.. 5 to 10km depending on where i run..

btw, any comments on those earpiece heartrate monitor?

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good to build aerobic base first. Important thing is to enjoy the runs.

Dystopia

Reaction score
yes.. I do enjoy my weekly run..:)
always looking forward to the run.... just that I want to improve the speed n timing..
working days.. hard to run... home already dead tired.. only weekend can run.

btw, I fail IPPT 2.4km throughout my 10+ yrs NS life ::s22:

initially when I start run/jog last year end.. i can't even manage a 5km without stopping..

now 5km is OK.. aiming for longer distance without stopping n better speed/timing..

Yes.. I watched that Slow jogging youtube video before... I think from this thread also..
did try the method last week... but really is damn slow..:s13:
I need to practise more.. :)

Thanks!!

substancia

Reaction score
I never have to pass 2.4 before, during ns I’m morbid obese, after ns I was downgraded.

Many people have problems with running slow cause used to run fast le.

If u want improve timing and speed must find those Parks with hilly slopes and do loops or have to do interval training.

Galloway method also can improve, can do a search on that

always looking forward to the run.... just that I want to improve the speed n timing..

initially when I start run/jog last year end.. i can't even manage a 5km without stopping..

now 5km is OK.. aiming for longer distance without stopping n better speed/timing..

Yes.. I watched that Slow jogging youtube video before... I think from this thread also..

Thanks!!

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks!!
One alternative you want to consider is to jog from your workplace to home if manageable. The distance from my home to workplace is about 10km. Since I had been running that distance, I decided to take public transport to work but on the way home, I'll jog instead. Saves on transport time especially evening peak hour traffic. It'll take 50-55 mins to go home via public transport but I'll jog in 70-80mins. So you save alot of time coz it's hard to find motivation to jog once you reach home.

So my typical week is...
Monday: rest
Tuesday: bring bag of exercise clothes and shoes to office for evening run
Wednesday: bring bag of office clothes and office shoes from yesterday back home
Thursday: bring bag of exercise clothes and shoes to office for evening run
Friday: same as Wednesday

Sent from HMD Global TA-1004 using GAGT

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Is 2.4km run for IPPT a hot topic?

We are rolling our workshops. This is the lineup:

09 May: Finding freedom from pain (FULL!)
22 May: Overcoming knee pain
27 May: Overcoming shoulder pain
04 Jun: Sports injuries - training in pain, ft Kingsley Tay
20 Jun: Overcoming back pain from hawker perspective, ft Walter Tay @walkwithwalter

Facebook event link: https://www.facebook.com/events/2374090816168704/

If there's enough interest for 2.4km run, we can do one on it!

Seems interesting.

liquidh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just run what is most comfortable to you I think. Heel striker here.

My caveat is that I do higher intensity but low distance. Not more than 6km per week.

Also another article for run reads. Highly suggest every runner to read :)

https://www.outsideonline.com/2329876/iaaf-biomechanics-study-worlds-best-runners

"The heel strikes back: One of the main tenets of the barefoot/minimalist running movement is that landing on your heel is bad for you. And it’s true that studies of people who grow up without shoes in places like Kenya show that they tend to land on their forefoot or midfoot when they run barefoot. But what about the elite runners who emerge from East Africa? Do they continue to run that way once they have access to shoes?

Of the 70 runners analyzed during the fourth lap of the men’s marathon, 47 of them (67 percent) landed on their heels, 21 (30 percent) landed on their midfoot, and two (3 percent) landed on their forefoot. The percentages were similar in the 78 competitors analyzed in the women’s marathon: 57 (73 percent) heel, 19 (24 percent) midfoot, and 2 (3 percent) forefoot. And this pattern wasn’t confined to particular countries or finishing places. In the men’s marathon, the top four finishers, hailing from Kenya, Ethiopia, Tanzania, and Great Britain, were all heel strikers during all four laps of the race."

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.