Swimming anyone???

nyquist2000

Reaction score
yes agreed about the head position .. if you lean it down , the leg will float.
Been coaching part time in my past life for pple with flutter kick sinking problem. Those guys were runners and wants to do triathlon . Most of them , the ankles are so stiff that when they kick it is almost dorsile flex, thus not catching the water. i really have to ask them to strech and i saw improvement .

besides, i have to explain to them ... kicking is not really kicking, it is actually whipping with your legs :) Imagine whipping with a whip. that is how they should feel with their legs while 'kicking'

whip and then relax . Most of them kick with stiffness and recover with stiffness as well . So , I asked them to kick and then relax.. that improve their flutter kick as well.

I have seen your blog. Impressive. :)
Yes... usually their leg will be stiff when you ask them to do flutter kick for the first few times. Gradually they will become more flexible as times goes by. Do you ask them to toe in beside tip toe? It help them in a way to increase their feet surface contact by toeing In.

tongkualongan

Reaction score
You are Darren Lim??? :s22: :s13: :s13:

BTW: Swimming is great for fat loss! I lost about 4 kg in 3 weeks after I switched from wt training to swimming at lunch break. Only 30mins, but quite high intensity lah, else won't work. Weight lifting as least as heavy than before too. Maybe its just because I broke my typical training pattern lah, but I'm gonna stick to swimming for a few weeks more.

R u Marcus who owns OTOT ( Own Time Own Target ) gym ? :)

tongkualongan

Reaction score
I have seen your blog. Impressive. :)
Yes... usually their leg will be stiff when you ask them to do flutter kick for the first few times. Gradually they will become more flexible as times goes by. Do you ask them to toe in beside tip toe? It help them in a way to increase their feet surface contact by toeing In.

Dont understand :(

but if flex too much. their calf muscle will cramp . lol :D

thanks for viewing my blog , havent update a while. think will update about the new toys i bought to increase stroke technique

tongkualongan

Reaction score
used to my client :) funny guy. Its a small gym but lots of rich indonesians signed up. They thought it is run by Indonesians cause the name of the gym is called OTOT ( meaning muscles in bahasa )

kettler

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dont understand :(

but if flex too much. their calf muscle will cramp . lol :D

thanks for viewing my blog , havent update a while. think will update about the new toys i bought to increase stroke technique

c yr blog riao..................

issit competitive swimmers all got big wide mouth de ?????????

becoz rook rike last time joycelyn yeo de mouth .... bery prominent .....

becoz of the breathing?????????????????????????

:eek::eek::eek:

tongkualongan

Reaction score

c yr blog riao..................

issit competitive swimmers all got big wide mouth de ?????????

becoz rook rike last time joycelyn yeo de mouth .... bery prominent .....

becoz of the breathing?????????????????????????

:eek::eek::eek:

ya lor ya lor.. all mouth big big one , so can take in more air . and me not competitive swimmer , me is leisure swimmer now :) so now mouth smaller :s13:

tongkualongan

Reaction score
My swim main set for today :

4 X 100 m free on 1:45 , descend

4 X 75m Fly, Back , Br on 1:45 , descend

4 X 50m kicking on 1:20 , descend

4 X 25m max 1 breath free, descend

16 X 25m streamline , odd # kicking , even # swim

main set for last monday , almost died.

1 X 75m on 1:15
1 X 50m on 1:00 head up free , choice

1 X150m on 2:20

1 X 300m on 4:30

1 X150m on 2:20

1 X 75m on 1:15

The above , Repeat 3 times :s16: :s16: :s16:

tongkualongan

Reaction score
:s31: Wah! You are a damn good swimmer! Can try underwater hockey.
http://suhc.multiply.com/
http://suhc.multiply.com/video/item/89/SUHC_in_action

no i am not good ... got ladies in my team faster than me :(
Somemore older than me .

yeah , i seen underwater hockey before.. very interesting. if i go back sg , i might join :) my lungs not very good though , cannot tahan underwater for long.

btw,. why one girl there use tank for air one ? thought supposed to use only snorkel :s11:

crandfs

Master Member
Reaction score
Scuba hockey :D? I dunno lah, think they were probably just trying out a stunt, since many of the team members scuba dive as well, in fact they're self-organizing a trip to this june to Tioman for $250.

crandfs

Master Member
Reaction score
my lungs not very good though , cannot tahan underwater for long.

"4 X 25m max 1 breath free" seems to be very good breath holding skills to me. I can only do about 1x10m in 1 breath but still managed to survive one underwatewr hockey try-out session.

lycans said:
40 laps in 1 hour is fast or slow
Seems very slow to me, it would mean 90s per lap.

Last edited:

tongkualongan

Reaction score
40 laps in 1 hour is fast or slow?

50m pool (Olympic size ) or 25m pool?

1 lap = go and come back OR 1 length ? :)

if assuming 40 laps = 1 km , then it is a bit to the slow side ..
if assuming 40 laps = 2 km , then it is considered slightly below average

I think for 100m average is about 2 minutes for the general population.

tongkualongan

Reaction score
"4 X 25m max 1 breath free" seems to be very good breath holding skills to me. I can only do about 1x10m in 1 breath but still managed to survive one underwatewr hockey try-out session.

Seems very slow to me, it would mean 90s per lap.

When I was young, we used to have training to go 50m underwater without breath..
Now I cant do it liao.

Also we need to hold our breath for 1 minute and then sprint for 15 meters or more still holding our breath..

Those were the days :s22:

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thing is I can go 30 laps in 30 mins but then after that the last 10 laps take me a long long time to complete :(

tongkualongan

Reaction score
The swimmer who will swim below 14 min has yet to be born :)

Thing is I can go 30 laps in 30 mins but then after that the last 10 laps take me a long long time to complete :(

you should pace yourself such that the last 750m is faster than the first 750m . This is not easy but this should be the way to train :)

break it down to 100m and time yourself. Then you have a better gauge about your time.

I wonder when somebody is going to design a watch that can count your stroke rates as well as time your per 50m swim automatically for all strokes. :)

ipevery

Reaction score
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.