HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Swimming anyone???

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #1

Swimming anyone???

I hope to start a thread about swimming so that we can learn from each other. Be it butterfly, breast stroke (Frog style), Front crawl (Free style), or back crawl (back stroke), just post any question and we can try to find answer for it. Ultimately, the aim is to gain knowledge and discover new thing at end of day. If you have any clip about swimming.. that is welcome too. Have fun~~
nyquist2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #2

I hope to start a thread about swimming so that we can learn from each other. Be it butterfly, breast stroke (Frog style), Front crawl (Free style), or back crawl (back stroke), just post any question and we can try to find answer for it. Ultimately, the aim is to gain knowledge and discover new thing at end of day. If you have any clip about swimming.. that is welcome too. Have fun~~
i am learning free style but nvr seems to get it......

USD 10 off Your iHerb Purchase,discount code - DKN023
wasupcutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #3

what muscles do u use when swimming?
extnct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

really depends on which stroke u use. but u can be sure ur lats will be in use.
pOlariCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Master Member

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...ery=jimmydshea

i find his swimming videos quite useful. just sharing!
catalyxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
Greater Supremacy Member

i am good in Breast Stroke, but many tell me FreeStyle lets you swim faster.

i fine swimming makes you lean, as in to have a slim V type body.

Phelps used to load up on Carbs before a swim. i guess thats the thing with swimming, you have to endure, it is a race not a game sport where you can walk and so called rest.

.--- -- --. Bugis Beatles | Samalongkok FC
kampong boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
Honorary Member

a lot of lats with front crawl
breast stroke more chest than lats
Old 03-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
Honorary Member

this is a very good swimming website:
http://archive.totalimmersion.net/index.html

check out the top
low med hi definition videos
the videos are very good sial
very informative
see how they swim, wah u see they swim hu die shi and yang yong like ABC like that
I sort of managed to correct my front crawl ineffiencies watching and listening to their comments

I realise a lot of swim with their head positions all wrong sial, that's why cannot swim efficiently. When you swim you do not look forward all the time. Head position makes or breaks your swim.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #9

i got a question! i find that whenever i swim freestyle, i get tired very easily, and just remain stagnant at the same place after just 1.5 laps.

it means that i am too weaak for freestyle. But if i dont swim freestyle, i cant train. So i resort to breast stroke, which i feel like nothing is trained. I swim faster in breaststroke than freestyle. OMG.

So i want to ask what are the benefits of both Freestyle and Breaststroke? What should i do to strengthen my skill in swimming freestyle?
alternarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
Honorary Member

i got a question! i find that whenever i swim freestyle, i get tired very easily, and just remain stagnant at the same place after just 1.5 laps.

it means that i am too weaak for freestyle. But if i dont swim freestyle, i cant train. So i resort to breast stroke, which i feel like nothing is trained. I swim faster in breaststroke than freestyle. OMG.

So i want to ask what are the benefits of both Freestyle and Breaststroke? What should i do to strengthen my skill in swimming freestyle?
your breathing not good for front crawl yet
it's like running also, some ppl find running very chuan, then u see some others can run like we drink water like that
Remaining stagnant meaning your front crawl technique is not ideal liao
remember yr head position, you should be looking between down and 45. you're wrong if you're looking more to forward. Also your fingers should be clasped together straight (but relaxed) scooping water.
Check the totalimmersion link I posted see their front crawl video, got various angles showing the swimmer swimming front crawl

also, mai kan jiong, start slow, get your breathing consistent get the momentum right then go faster. Also can try alternate laps front then breast front then breast.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
Great Supremacy Member

We can go faster with free-style but it's more taxing. Breast stroke is slower but it's more relaxing. That's why they taught us breast stroke during BMT. If we were to swim in our no 4 with our barangs, do think we can make it with free-style.

When we swim freestyle, it's the legs kicking and the pushing of the arms underwater that propell us forward. You can train up your lats and hamstrings with the appropriate exercises in the gym. To increase your stamina to cover more than 1.5 laps, I find that doing steady state cardio helps.
ramlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
Greater Supremacy Member

a lot of lats with front crawl
breast stroke more chest than lats
sorry breast stroke does use your chest much. it is just that it more stable hence you are swimming on your chest. and that you can have your head above water more often then other styles.

however, my coach told me it one of the hardest to perfect.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #13
Honorary Member

sorry breast stroke does use your chest much. it is just that it more stable hence you are swimming on your chest. and that you can have your head above water more often then other styles.

however, my coach told me it one of the hardest to perfect.
you dun feel it meh?
you have to pull and bring your hands real close on the hands coming back action
It's not call breast stroke for nothing
Old 03-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #14
Greater Supremacy Member

you dun feel it meh?
you have to pull and bring your hands real close on the hands coming back action
It's not call breast stroke for nothing
maybe after leisurely swimming for so long, either i am doing the wrong strokes or i dont feel my "breast" any more

Old 03-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #15
Honorary Member

maybe after leisurely swimming for so long, either i am doing the wrong strokes or i dont feel my "breast" any more
you chiong, swim faster, pull back and squeeze really quick and hard
everytime i feel my chest wanna burst sial

same also for front crawl, esp. when I use the float to giap in between the legs and chiong 2 laps, same effect like doing pullups sial.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.