Thinning Hair problem

rECKleSSfElla

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RickJames said:
how much does a checkup at national skin centre cost?

not entirely sure but u can call them up n ask........if u are in NS currently then i think u can get a referring letter from MO n do it for free.

rECKleSSfElla

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Isopropyl said:
$40 is for 2% or 3% version? i saw the 5% version costly around $60.

i got presciption from my doctor and got minoxi5(80ml) for $37.80 which will last around 40days and proscar for $112.50. have been using propecia for more than 1years which cost $90 for 4weeks. now using proscar which will only cost around $28 for 4weeks.

hope to further reduce the price. if anyone got any good lobang, please let me know. hehe...

for minox5% i got mine over the net......kirkland brand 4mth supply + shipment fees cost ard $80 sing dollars in total........took ard 2wks for the package to arrive. There are also sites which sells proscar but i m not too into proscar so i haven been checking them out.

batdow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Isopropyl said:
$40 is for 2% or 3% version? i saw the 5% version costly around $60.

i got presciption from my doctor and got minoxi5(80ml) for $37.80 which will last around 40days and proscar for $112.50. have been using propecia for more than 1years which cost $90 for 4weeks. now using proscar which will only cost around $28 for 4weeks.

hope to further reduce the price. if anyone got any good lobang, please let me know. hehe...

$60 for growell 5% so i guess $40 should be the price for 3% version.
should have gotta a doc's prescription... $37.8 for 80ml is much cheaper!

Isopropyl

Banned
Reaction score
Botak_gan said:
How different is proscar different from propecia??? I know proscar is of higher dosage and how come it cost so much cheaper than propecia??

they are basically the same drugs. just that proscar contain 5mg per tab and for treating benign prostate hyperplasia. propecia is for hairloss and come in a lower dosage of 1mg. to get the same dosage while saving money, normally people will buy proscar and divide it into 4 or 5part so you get roughly the same dosage as propecia.

the reason propecia is more expensive is it suppose to be a "new" drug. this will help the drug company to earn more money. other than that, it basically the same stuff.

rECKleSSfElla

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anybody tried or are currently using both minox n propecia at the same time? Are results better or faster? Actually chances for side effects for propecia occuring is quite low....so i might turn to propecia if minox do not work for me....also anybody heard of this drug call Retin-A or Retinol?

Isopropyl

Banned
Reaction score
batdow said:
$60 for growell 5% so i guess $40 should be the price for 3% version.
should have gotta a doc's prescription... $37.8 for 80ml is much cheaper!

yeah. that the cheapest i found in spore. of course, you can get it like rECKleSSfElla from oversea which is even cheaper which i might be trying. one thing you can't beat in getting it in spore is you know for sure you are getting the real stuff. find some really good and trustable website if you intend to order from oversea.

i pay $5 for my prescription of minoxidil and proscar. if you want to get from CGH, ask your doctor to prescript you 2-4bottle at once so you save further on the prescription.

Isopropyl

Banned
Reaction score
rECKleSSfElla said:
anybody tried or are currently using both minox n propecia at the same time? Are results better or faster? Actually chances for side effects for propecia occuring is quite low....so i might turn to propecia if minox do not work for me....also anybody heard of this drug call Retin-A or Retinol?

i am using both fin and minoxidil. i use propecia for about 1year plus and at most it only slow down my hairloss. therefore about 2months ago i started on monixidil. too soon to tell the result. but i got a feeling its helping although not much.

i actually tried Rogaine 5% around 2years plus ago. after a week or so, i develop blisters on my scalp and the itch is so bad that there is no way i can carry on. so i throw again 2bottles of rogaine. 2months ago, i decided to give it a try again. so i got the brand minoxi5. after a few application, i develop rashes on my arms and neck. the itch can keep me up all night. instead of giving up, i reduce the dosage and slowly work my way up. now my body are able to take it a lot better. not much side effect.

one way you can try to improve intake of minoxidil on scalp is to apply it on wet scalp. when your scalp is wet, it improve intake by 2-5times. but of course, if you are experience any side effect, don't even think of trying it.

here a link for you to read on Retin-A
http://www.minoxidil.com/min_with_retin.htm

anyway, the side effect of propecia is much higher then the reported 2% in the study. thankfully, most go away after sometime. other problem like increase in pimple, dry skin etc is quite common.

eliza1976

Banned
Reaction score
u 16 already like that ah?

so sad lah......

u never eat enough biotin lah....

and not exercising enough also one of the reasons leh...

binster88

Reaction score
i'm 17 and I got hair loss problem too. Erm diet wise I'm not too sure but I was on a protein supplement for my kayaking cca. stop the supplement liao.

cklim17

Reaction score
most probably we are suffering from male pattern hair loss. its so common among us guys. take a look around and u can see why. i'm suffering from it too. when i went to see the doctors at NSC, i asked them abt hair transplant cos i think thats the only real solution to balding. but what my doc said was that we also need to take oral medication like propecia.because hair transplant can cover the batchs but u also need to stop the hair loss process.so a hair transplant must be complemented with propecia. the doc told me it cost around $10K and its done by doctors in private practise.
will be going for my follow-up with the doctor at NSC some time next week. will ask her more abt hair transplant. some qns i have in mind are these:
1)what is the procedure like? any follow-up treatment? is there hospitalization?
2)any side effects? or visible scars?
3)Can i still use regular shampoo and go to my regular hair dresser?

Asymtope

Reaction score
hi cklim17, i have a qns i also need to know frm the doc too

1) Will the patient still suffering frm MPB even if he has undergone hair transplant and been taking propecia?

Have u tried CGH?? I wonder they did hair transplant operation or not.
I read frm website that hair transplant need 4-5 sessions depend on how serious is ur hair loss

cklim17

Reaction score
Asymtope said:
hi cklim17, i have a qns i also need to know frm the doc too

1) Will the patient still suffering frm MPB even if he has undergone hair transplant and been taking propecia?

Have u tried CGH?? I wonder they did hair transplant operation or not.
I read frm website that hair transplant need 4-5 sessions depend on how serious is ur hair loss

i'll ask that qn for u.

yes, CGH does hair transplant. u can go straight to their clinic and seek treatment there. but i didnt do so cos i want to go NSC and consult with them first. ask them as many qns as possible. and let them recomment me a surgeon.

muchie2

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been following this thread and join to learn more. I am suffering from MPB too. I have been using Propecia for the past 3 yrs. It works great. But the side effect is a slight decrease in sex drive. Due to the high cost of propecia ($88 for 28 tablets) and not to be over-dependent on oral medicine, I decided to stop. I have stopped for a month. This 1 month, I have been dropping hair more often. I have also started to use Audace Regan Extra Reactive Hair Tonic ($18 per bottle) to cut cost for 2 weeks. Now still cannot see the effectiveness. Very sad... Can any1 advise should I switch to Monoxidil or continue using Audace Regan? Really cannot make up my mind.

Thanks!

Asymtope

Reaction score
For me, I have irritable itchy scalp after using minox for 1 month. I have also added nizoral, or coal tar shampoo to minimise the itch however it does not totally cure ur itchness. I used for 4 months, I did not c any growth. In fact it lost much more.

I think it's better for u to carry on with propecia until new approved drugs are available.

Isopropyl

Banned
Reaction score
muchie2 said:
Hi,

I have been following this thread and join to learn more. I am suffering from MPB too. I have been using Propecia for the past 3 yrs. It works great. But the side effect is a slight decrease in sex drive. Due to the high cost of propecia ($88 for 28 tablets) and not to be over-dependent on oral medicine, I decided to stop. I have stopped for a month. This 1 month, I have been dropping hair more often. I have also started to use Audace Regan Extra Reactive Hair Tonic ($18 per bottle) to cut cost for 2 weeks. Now still cannot see the effectiveness. Very sad... Can any1 advise should I switch to Monoxidil or continue using Audace Regan? Really cannot make up my mind.

Thanks!
those hair tonic does nothing for your hair loss. if you don't get back to propecia, you are going to lose all the hair you gain. anyway, you should continue your treatment as you are the lucky one that response well to it. 2 things that you can do. firstly, you can continue propecia but split it into half so you are only taking 0.5mg. study have show that 0.2mg work almost as well as 1mg. even in Japan, they have both 1mg and 0.2mg propecia available. so 0.5mg should be good enough to help you.
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20051214p2a00m0na012000c.html

secondly, you can ask your doctor to give you proscar is the 5mg version of propecia. you can divide it into 5-8parts to save money and reduce dosage.

adding minoxidil will help, but it act to override the effect rather than slow down hair loss. it your next best bet after propecia. Audace Regan won't do anything for you. junk it.

Isopropyl

Banned
Reaction score
Asymtope said:
For me, I have irritable itchy scalp after using minox for 1 month. I have also added nizoral, or coal tar shampoo to minimise the itch however it does not totally cure ur itchness. I used for 4 months, I did not c any growth. In fact it lost much more.

I think it's better for u to carry on with propecia until new approved drugs are available.

sadly, so far there is nothing new coming out within these few years except there a form version of minoxidil just finish phase III FDA testing. most people are sensitive to the PPG in minoxidil solution. maybe the form version can help. but the price is sure to be high. it is also reported that it hold up to 10% minoxidil.

other then propecia for DHT, you can try Avodart. it a much better 5-alpha reductase inhibitors than propecia. too bad it is not approve for hair loss yet due to unknow reason. after the phase II testing, all news is lost. lots of story flying around for the reasons. so far, it is only approve for treating BHP. if you want it, you can get generic version online.
although the side effect is reported by its company to be the same as propecia or proscar, users have reported to be worst than it seen. so take at your own risk.

muchie2

Reaction score
Isopropyl said:
those hair tonic does nothing for your hair loss. if you don't get back to propecia, you are going to lose all the hair you gain. anyway, you should continue your treatment as you are the lucky one that response well to it. 2 things that you can do. firstly, you can continue propecia but split it into half so you are only taking 0.5mg. study have show that 0.2mg work almost as well as 1mg. even in Japan, they have both 1mg and 0.2mg propecia available. so 0.5mg should be good enough to help you.
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/20051214p2a00m0na012000c.html

secondly, you can ask your doctor to give you proscar is the 5mg version of propecia. you can divide it into 5-8parts to save money and reduce dosage.

adding minoxidil will help, but it act to override the effect rather than slow down hair loss. it your next best bet after propecia. Audace Regan won't do anything for you. junk it.

Yes i am lucky propecia works for me. 4 yrs back, I tried minoxidil but there is not much effect so my GP advise me to take propecia instead. Currently, I am also seeing a TCM practioner for other health issues. He ask me not to take any western medicine and that is also 1 of the reasons why I stop propecia. I am quite in a dilemma now.

Isopropyl

Banned
Reaction score
muchie2 said:
Yes i am lucky propecia works for me. 4 yrs back, I tried minoxidil but there is not much effect so my GP advise me to take propecia instead. Currently, I am also seeing a TCM practioner for other health issues. He ask me not to take any western medicine and that is also 1 of the reasons why I stop propecia. I am quite in a dilemma now.

wat other health issues you are having? propecia might not affect your problem so you might be able to carry on.

macguire

Master Member
Reaction score
try biolyn... my colleague used it b4...and works for him... thou it take a few months b4 u can visibly see e effects...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.