HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Thinning Hair problem

Like Tree86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #91

most probably we are suffering from male pattern hair loss. its so common among us guys. take a look around and u can see why. i'm suffering from it too. when i went to see the doctors at NSC, i asked them abt hair transplant cos i think thats the only real solution to balding. but what my doc said was that we also need to take oral medication like propecia.because hair transplant can cover the batchs but u also need to stop the hair loss process.so a hair transplant must be complemented with propecia. the doc told me it cost around $10K and its done by doctors in private practise.
will be going for my follow-up with the doctor at NSC some time next week. will ask her more abt hair transplant. some qns i have in mind are these:
1)what is the procedure like? any follow-up treatment? is there hospitalization?
2)any side effects? or visible scars?
3)Can i still use regular shampoo and go to my regular hair dresser?
cklim17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2005, 03:45 PM   #92

hi cklim17, i have a qns i also need to know frm the doc too

1) Will the patient still suffering frm MPB even if he has undergone hair transplant and been taking propecia?

Have u tried CGH?? I wonder they did hair transplant operation or not.
I read frm website that hair transplant need 4-5 sessions depend on how serious is ur hair loss
Asymtope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2005, 05:27 PM   #93

hi cklim17, i have a qns i also need to know frm the doc too

1) Will the patient still suffering frm MPB even if he has undergone hair transplant and been taking propecia?

Have u tried CGH?? I wonder they did hair transplant operation or not.
I read frm website that hair transplant need 4-5 sessions depend on how serious is ur hair loss
i'll ask that qn for u.

yes, CGH does hair transplant. u can go straight to their clinic and seek treatment there. but i didnt do so cos i want to go NSC and consult with them first. ask them as many qns as possible. and let them recomment me a surgeon.
cklim17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2005, 11:05 AM   #94

Hi,

I have been following this thread and join to learn more. I am suffering from MPB too. I have been using Propecia for the past 3 yrs. It works great. But the side effect is a slight decrease in sex drive. Due to the high cost of propecia ($88 for 28 tablets) and not to be over-dependent on oral medicine, I decided to stop. I have stopped for a month. This 1 month, I have been dropping hair more often. I have also started to use Audace Regan Extra Reactive Hair Tonic ($18 per bottle) to cut cost for 2 weeks. Now still cannot see the effectiveness. Very sad... Can any1 advise should I switch to Monoxidil or continue using Audace Regan? Really cannot make up my mind.

Thanks!
muchie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2005, 12:06 PM   #95

For me, I have irritable itchy scalp after using minox for 1 month. I have also added nizoral, or coal tar shampoo to minimise the itch however it does not totally cure ur itchness. I used for 4 months, I did not c any growth. In fact it lost much more.

I think it's better for u to carry on with propecia until new approved drugs are available.
Asymtope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2005, 01:16 PM   #96
Banned

Hi,

I have been following this thread and join to learn more. I am suffering from MPB too. I have been using Propecia for the past 3 yrs. It works great. But the side effect is a slight decrease in sex drive. Due to the high cost of propecia ($88 for 28 tablets) and not to be over-dependent on oral medicine, I decided to stop. I have stopped for a month. This 1 month, I have been dropping hair more often. I have also started to use Audace Regan Extra Reactive Hair Tonic ($18 per bottle) to cut cost for 2 weeks. Now still cannot see the effectiveness. Very sad... Can any1 advise should I switch to Monoxidil or continue using Audace Regan? Really cannot make up my mind.

Thanks!
those hair tonic does nothing for your hair loss. if you don't get back to propecia, you are going to lose all the hair you gain. anyway, you should continue your treatment as you are the lucky one that response well to it. 2 things that you can do. firstly, you can continue propecia but split it into half so you are only taking 0.5mg. study have show that 0.2mg work almost as well as 1mg. even in Japan, they have both 1mg and 0.2mg propecia available. so 0.5mg should be good enough to help you.
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/nation...na012000c.html

secondly, you can ask your doctor to give you proscar is the 5mg version of propecia. you can divide it into 5-8parts to save money and reduce dosage.

adding minoxidil will help, but it act to override the effect rather than slow down hair loss. it your next best bet after propecia. Audace Regan won't do anything for you. junk it.
Isopropyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2005, 01:27 PM   #97
Banned

For me, I have irritable itchy scalp after using minox for 1 month. I have also added nizoral, or coal tar shampoo to minimise the itch however it does not totally cure ur itchness. I used for 4 months, I did not c any growth. In fact it lost much more.

I think it's better for u to carry on with propecia until new approved drugs are available.
sadly, so far there is nothing new coming out within these few years except there a form version of minoxidil just finish phase III FDA testing. most people are sensitive to the PPG in minoxidil solution. maybe the form version can help. but the price is sure to be high. it is also reported that it hold up to 10% minoxidil.

other then propecia for DHT, you can try Avodart. it a much better 5-alpha reductase inhibitors than propecia. too bad it is not approve for hair loss yet due to unknow reason. after the phase II testing, all news is lost. lots of story flying around for the reasons. so far, it is only approve for treating BHP. if you want it, you can get generic version online.
although the side effect is reported by its company to be the same as propecia or proscar, users have reported to be worst than it seen. so take at your own risk.
Old 30-12-2005, 01:38 PM   #98

those hair tonic does nothing for your hair loss. if you don't get back to propecia, you are going to lose all the hair you gain. anyway, you should continue your treatment as you are the lucky one that response well to it. 2 things that you can do. firstly, you can continue propecia but split it into half so you are only taking 0.5mg. study have show that 0.2mg work almost as well as 1mg. even in Japan, they have both 1mg and 0.2mg propecia available. so 0.5mg should be good enough to help you.
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/nation...na012000c.html

secondly, you can ask your doctor to give you proscar is the 5mg version of propecia. you can divide it into 5-8parts to save money and reduce dosage.

adding minoxidil will help, but it act to override the effect rather than slow down hair loss. it your next best bet after propecia. Audace Regan won't do anything for you. junk it.
Yes i am lucky propecia works for me. 4 yrs back, I tried minoxidil but there is not much effect so my GP advise me to take propecia instead. Currently, I am also seeing a TCM practioner for other health issues. He ask me not to take any western medicine and that is also 1 of the reasons why I stop propecia. I am quite in a dilemma now.
muchie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2005, 08:16 PM   #99
Banned

Yes i am lucky propecia works for me. 4 yrs back, I tried minoxidil but there is not much effect so my GP advise me to take propecia instead. Currently, I am also seeing a TCM practioner for other health issues. He ask me not to take any western medicine and that is also 1 of the reasons why I stop propecia. I am quite in a dilemma now.
wat other health issues you are having? propecia might not affect your problem so you might be able to carry on.
Old 30-12-2005, 08:34 PM   #100
Master Member

try biolyn... my colleague used it b4...and works for him... thou it take a few months b4 u can visibly see e effects...
macguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2005, 09:31 PM   #101
Banned

try biolyn... my colleague used it b4...and works for him... thou it take a few months b4 u can visibly see e effects...
hmmm.. most of the review i heard is that biolyn did nothing. which product from biolyn did he use?
Old 31-12-2005, 12:55 AM   #102
Supremacy Member

biolyn is more for preventive rather than treating balding dat is existing........but can try using their shampoo together wif mixo or propecia to enhance the effects..........
Old 31-12-2005, 03:06 AM   #103

$40 is for 2% or 3% version? i saw the 5% version costly around $60.

i got presciption from my doctor and got minoxi5(80ml) for $37.80 which will last around 40days and proscar for $112.50. have been using propecia for more than 1years which cost $90 for 4weeks. now using proscar which will only cost around $28 for 4weeks.

hope to further reduce the price. if anyone got any good lobang, please let me know. hehe...
want to ask if the brand of the minoxidil 5% is Regaine. Cos i've bought a bottle from NTUC Unity at around $120 and it's only 60ml.

Also, can i know where to get the 5% version for $60?

quite confused here...heh....maybe some kind-hearted soul can list down the brand,names, price and where to buy etc etc for easier reference!
ericsoon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2005, 05:10 AM   #104
Banned

want to ask if the brand of the minoxidil 5% is Regaine. Cos i've bought a bottle from NTUC Unity at around $120 and it's only 60ml.

Also, can i know where to get the 5% version for $60?

quite confused here...heh....maybe some kind-hearted soul can list down the brand,names, price and where to buy etc etc for easier reference!
the brand name is all over this thread. haha.....

anyway, to make things easy. in singapore, there are 3brands that you can find easily. they are:
1)Rogaine (2% and 5%)
the original brand of minoxidil. price is high and i see no reason getting it.

2)Glower (2%, 3% and 5%)
generic minoxidil. 5% version cost $60.

3)Minoxi5 (in singapore i guess you only can find the 5% version)
cheapest brand i can find. Cost $57.75 without prescription. further more it come in 80ml which should provide you with extra 10days usage compare with other brand.

all pharmacy carry both rogaine and glower. some of gruadian carry Minoxi5.
Old 31-12-2005, 09:07 AM   #105
Supremacy Member

does any one know of any Saw palmetto supplement that can be brought over the counter?
Cold_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.