HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

torn ACL

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2018, 04:42 PM   #31

Hi, may i know who's your surgeon is?? I actually have met my surgeon but yet to set the date for surgery in CGH. But my parents are against me doing the surgery at CGH cause of the things they hear about CGH. They asked me to go to SGH, but the journey to SGH alone from my house is very far and I'm imagining while i on recovery i have to travel to SGH just to do physio..

So I would like to ask your opinion on how the surgery went in cgh? Like your experience there and how the surgeons/doctor/physiotherapist treat your knee throughout the recovery.

Morning went into the OT, woke up abt 3plus in the afternoon but the anesthesia effect was still there so I was drifting in and out of sleep. I managed to discharged the next day after the effect was gone and the morning checkup.

I did mine in CGH for abt 2k plus. Choose B2 ward coz only staying for 1 night, though my insurance can cover up to private ward and private hosp. My insurance subsequently sent me a cheque of the balance of what they can cover me and B2 ward.

Surgeon took my hamstring graft for my ACL reconstruction.

I was given hospitalization leave (HL) for a total of 2 months. First month is straight 1 month, but 2nd month is given every week when I when back for changing of dressing and see the doc.

First 6 mths of rehab was once a week, then become once every 2 weeks, then become 3 weeks. It's quite disruptive to my work when I keep taking time off so I dragged the interval.

First stage of the rehab is regaining the range of motion of the injured leg, followed by the strength, control, stability, and then power.

After that I stopped attending rehab because of my work. Also I did my own training so I see no point to attend further rehab.

Although I've not cleared by the physiotherapist that I can return to sports, but I felt that I was ready so I went back to bball.

G3gemaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #32
Supremacy Member

ok... seems like most went for the reconstruction of acl op. so, here's my experience from not going for the op.

first, I fully torn my right acl a few years back (2013) due to soccer too. now 39yo but didn't went for the op. basically doc asked me what I want to be able to do.

option 1, doing the op and with proper rehab and strengthening, I will be able to lead active lifestyle of sports and even soccer.

option 2, without the op and with proper rehab and strengthening, i will be able to lead a normal lifestyle with standard range of motion (except activities which requires me to pivot and twist my knees). so soccer, rollerblading, basketballs are out.

i took option 2, no issues so far for my daily life. I only do low impact activities like cycle, swim and even jogging (less than 10km).
gibson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #33

Hi, may i know who's your surgeon is?? I actually have met my surgeon but yet to set the date for surgery in CGH. But my parents are against me doing the surgery at CGH cause of the things they hear about CGH. They asked me to go to SGH, but the journey to SGH alone from my house is very far and I'm imagining while i on recovery i have to travel to SGH just to do physio..

So I would like to ask your opinion on how the surgery went in cgh? Like your experience there and how the surgeons/doctor/physiotherapist treat your knee throughout the recovery.
Hi bro, took my operation in CGH. Nothing to worry. Doctor and nurses were very professional. Can ask me anything. Who is your consulting surgeon now?

No need to worry about things others heard. Most important is the skills of the surgeon. For me after op knee doesn't hurt very much except when trying to bend and move and regain motion.

Last edited by Jappero; 12-05-2018 at 03:02 PM..
Jappero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #34

ok... seems like most went for the reconstruction of acl op. so, here's my experience from not going for the op.

first, I fully torn my right acl a few years back (2013) due to soccer too. now 39yo but didn't went for the op. basically doc asked me what I want to be able to do.

option 1, doing the op and with proper rehab and strengthening, I will be able to lead active lifestyle of sports and even soccer.

option 2, without the op and with proper rehab and strengthening, i will be able to lead a normal lifestyle with standard range of motion (except activities which requires me to pivot and twist my knees). so soccer, rollerblading, basketballs are out.

i took option 2, no issues so far for my daily life. I only do low impact activities like cycle, swim and even jogging (less than 10km).
Don't do op also is fine. No need to go through the tiring rehabs.

I believe sometimes you feel your knee is sore right even when standing or sitting?
Jappero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #35
Supremacy Member

Don't do op also is fine. No need to go through the tiring rehabs.

I believe sometimes you feel your knee is sore right even when standing or sitting?
ok... a little background of my knee. at the same time I had septic arthritis due to bacteria infection. the knee was scoped out and cleaned out. and by time my scar healed and knees range of motion was very limited and size had shrunk by a lot due to muscle atrophy.

so actually rehab is important, very important. because without the strengthening exercises and stretches... I wouldn't have been able to squat or bend my knee beyond a certain angle. also the rehab allows me to train up my right thigh. if not, there would be muscle imbalance and will eventually strain the weaker knee.

so far don't really feel sore. but still can feel the difference of strength between the so called good and bad knee.
gibson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 12:20 AM   #36

Hi, has anyone done the surgery and stopped going to physio halfway? Were you able to get back full ROM over time?
HaanBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 01:21 AM   #37
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi, has anyone done the surgery and stopped going to physio halfway? Were you able to get back full ROM over time?
physio is impt but i understand the inconvenience for "reporting" to the physio centre every now and then. You need to know the basic exercises and do them everyday diligently, it will only improve your conditions.
Old 20-07-2018, 12:03 AM   #38

Yeah... Guess you’re right, okay I’ll persevere and go.. thanks!

physio is impt but i understand the inconvenience for "reporting" to the physio centre every now and then. You need to know the basic exercises and do them everyday diligently, it will only improve your conditions.

Last edited by HaanBolt; 20-07-2018 at 12:06 AM..
HaanBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #39

I sprained my ACL too.... so sad!
Old 10-01-2019, 11:00 AM   #40

it seem most of the tear, comes from soccer...
My tear doesnt came from soccer.. i got high grade acl tear and meniscus contusion while doing muay thai. Ortho also suggest me to go for reconstruction surgery and i still hesitating about it.
kitsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:05 PM   #41

My tear doesnt came from soccer.. i got high grade acl tear and meniscus contusion while doing muay thai. Ortho also suggest me to go for reconstruction surgery and i still hesitating about it.
i see, mine is a full torn..

anyway i am scheduled for surgery on this march..
Old 10-01-2019, 09:01 PM   #42
Arch-Supremacy Member

why the change of mind after so many years? Speedy recovery!
Old 11-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #43

Jiayou! i wait Apr to see ortho again and if can schedule one too..
kitsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:49 PM   #44

I had shared my story before in another thread...

My left ACL snapped fully in 1999, during a ORD chalet when playing soccer. Went to CGH and was told I needed surgery but at that time, I was preparing to go university and I didn't want to spend extra money for surgery. Doctor said my range of motions would be very limited and true enough, my knee was very unstable and would buckle and twist very often.

So I still played soccer on and off but with very tight bracing, sometimes with double elastic bracings. But after a game, my knee would swell up twice the size. Cannot dribble, cannot twist and turn, cannot sudden change in direction, very frustrating and worse of all, had to rely on my weaker right knee to kick.

During the time, I did my reservist and passed my IPPT which included SBJ, just learnt to land mainly on right knee but just borderline passes. Shuttle runs - need to be very conscious and slow and not push off with left knee and change direction with right knee only.

Fast forward - 2016 December, went to trampoline park and 1 jump, 1 landing within the first 5 mins, my left knee totally gave way. The pain was nightmarish. Went to TTSH the next day, doctor said "You are not young anymore, your knee can only take so much, better go surgery before everything breaks down"

Went MRI - doctor said my left knee ACL was completely missing, means body absorbed everything back after 17 years. Also a torn meniscus.

Went surgery (this part - my story is the same as most of those who shared). I felt no pain or discomfort. I didn't take any painkiller at all. The only troublesome part was the showering which I had to wrap my entire leg in black trash bag. Walked without crutches after 3 days, was driving within a week, remembered drove to SK polyclinic to check and clean up stitches. Drove to JB in 1 weekday afternoon while on MC...Shhh…. Was given 1 month MC but I could work from home, email and mobile.

I went physio for 1-2 months, then did my own exercise and knee bending/strengthening. I probably regained total mobility and load-bearing on that knee in 3-5 months.

Right now, I love the stability in that knee. Only regret not doing it earlier, 17 years of 'cripple-ness' totally not worth it!

1 MOST IMPORTANT NOTE that had not been mentioned before but happened to me because I took too long for corrective surgery.

Our human body is amazing and it will auto-correct itself whenever it sense imbalance. For me, I never really paid attention but now my left foot is flat, the arch is almost touching the ground. My right is perfectly OK. The physio observed it and made a conclusion that because my left knee was in such a bad shape for 17 years, the body auto shifted the bulk of the load bearing to the right knee and pronated the left foot to ensure stability but sacrificed the posture. Now I am stuck with left flat foot. Haha...
ringrain_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:21 PM   #45

i agree.. the younger you are the better you can recover... nowadays this ACL reconstruction surgery is a 'simple' surgery.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.