[Official cycling thread]

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got the last batch of cheap dwlinks, now dwlinks ish all sexpensive liao.

Mine is ironhorse, but they close shop liao.

kangmf

Reaction score
I got the last batch of cheap dwlinks, now dwlinks ish all sexpensive liao.

Mine is ironhorse, but they close shop liao.

I bought a Iron Horse Maverick II from a shop at Teck Whye at S$480 about 2 months ago.
It is my first MTB or the first bike I ever own. Now after riding for a while, was eyeing to upgrade to a better handling bike. Not that I have a lot to complain about it. Just a bit heavy for a old man like me.

Agent Shoots

Master Member
Reaction score
i agree. Chumba is good value for the ride. ive a friend who rides a Chumba XCL, pretty decent handling, but it's a heavy bike. the Turner 5 Spot however, absolutely rides like a dream (my kaki just bought one from Hup Leong, raw finish zomg :love: ). it's overpriced yes i absolutely agree, but you cannot deny the good ride. :)

after trying so many bikes, imho i still think the IronHorse MKIII (with the DW-Link) is a superb bike for the money. Specialized's Stumpjumper comes a very close second

eventidephoenix

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I bought a Iron Horse Maverick II from a shop at Teck Whye at S$480 about 2 months ago.
It is my first MTB or the first bike I ever own. Now after riding for a while, was eyeing to upgrade to a better handling bike. Not that I have a lot to complain about it. Just a bit heavy for a old man like me.

nvr close shop, company bought over liao :)

oyebto

Master Member
Reaction score
20090623-18ewixqk8dbq6hixef9d497d58.jpg

my humble bike. =)

sheinked

Reaction score
Noobie getting mtb

Hi all,

been doing some research on getting my mtb. budget is around $500 to $700.
does anyone have any recommendations besides the following:

1) Jamis Xtrail 1 / 2
2) GT Ava/Agressor
3) Scott (any models to recommend?)
4) Giant

I will be using it mainly for leisure cycling around the island, pcn etc.

Comments will greatly be appreciated :)

siaoboh

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

1) Jamis Xtrail 1 / 2
2) GT Ava/Agressor
4) Giant

same as me. i choosen gt 3.0 disc. ..

sheinked

Reaction score
yeah i was thinking of that.
but i intend to participate in races as well so im pretty torn between getting a road or mtb. mtb seems like a feasible idea for now since i will still be cycling (looking at long distance and leisure) and not joining any serious race anytime soon.

in terms of weight, is gt heavier than scott or jamis?

Agent Shoots

Master Member
Reaction score
what kind of race? mtb or road race?

cos if you're talking mtb race, no problems should come out from a gt ava. it may be heavy, but the componentry and stiffness of the frame is pretty much up there. you could consider a Commencal Combi Disc though. Jamis is friggin heavy. X.X

just a couple weeks back, some dude from another cycling forum (SMBF) took part in a race at Kent Ridge (considered the most technical trail in SG) in his SECOND week of being offroad. he rides a GT Ava, near stock.

he got third place.

but if you're thinking of racing road, but am not sure if you'd be serious enough, i do seriously recommend the Polygon Helios 500 with its full Shimano 105 groupset. it's THE best value in a road bike you can find anywhere. except the Boardman Team Carbon which is exclusive in the UK, from that one particular dealer only.

ride safe! :)

alrasvee

Reaction score
Hi all,

1) Jamis Xtrail 1 / 2
2) GT Ava/Agressor
4) Giant

Whats ur budget bro?

Jamis X trails are real good value for money plus the frames do look quite chio...
GT ava too common [ but yeah good value for money also ( Jamis cheaper ]
Scotts are slightly more exp..
Giant which model?

And see ur ridin style as well...

sheinked

Reaction score
what kind of race? mtb or road race?

cos if you're talking mtb race, no problems should come out from a gt ava. it may be heavy, but the componentry and stiffness of the frame is pretty much up there. you could consider a Commencal Combi Disc though. Jamis is friggin heavy. X.X

just a couple weeks back, some dude from another cycling forum (SMBF) took part in a race at Kent Ridge (considered the most technical trail in SG) in his SECOND week of being offroad. he rides a GT Ava, near stock.

he got third place.

but if you're thinking of racing road, but am not sure if you'd be serious enough, i do seriously recommend the Polygon Helios 500 with its full Shimano 105 groupset. it's THE best value in a road bike you can find anywhere. except the Boardman Team Carbon which is exclusive in the UK, from that one particular dealer only.

ride safe! :)

right now, im doing long distance cycling on rented bikes. =\ been looking around for bikes... im considering doing road but it wouldnt be anytime soon since i dont dare to cycle on the road alone, yet. Where can i find Polygon Helios 500 and do you know how much it cost?

will i do much damage to it should i use it on surfaces such as pavement? haha.

WuSangui

Master Member
Reaction score
right now, im doing long distance cycling on rented bikes. =\ been looking around for bikes... im considering doing road but it wouldnt be anytime soon since i dont dare to cycle on the road alone, yet. Where can i find Polygon Helios 500 and do you know how much it cost?

will i do much damage to it should i use it on surfaces such as pavement? haha.

Try Rodalink at Upper Thomson, Jurong Kechil or at Tradehub 21.

As for road bike on pavement. I recommend u switch to cyclocross tire.

I run 23c tire on my 700c wheel and break my spoke for running on pave.

Now I switch to 38c for more protection. I do 5% pave, 95% road.

siaoboh

Master Member
Reaction score
Whats ur budget bro?

Jamis X trails are real good value for money plus the frames do look quite chio...
GT ava too common [ but yeah good value for money also ( Jamis cheaper ]
Scotts are slightly more exp..
Giant which model?

And see ur ridin style as well...

hmm.. tats true.

my choice for GT 3.0D;

-strong frame
-tyre with alot alot of grip, too much infact -.- becomes draggy..
-only nida upgrade brake [as it is tekro mech now. i dont see it lasting long and the braking power is only good for pavement cycling]

and also, HL(hup leong) is too far for me. so, jamis isnt cool.

Agent Shoots

Master Member
Reaction score
Hup Leong is only at Chinatown. And they provide delivery service. Serious. A HWZoner I rode with bought his Jamis TrailRanger and got free delivery. Just be nice and ask :)

You can always go to Chapter2Cycle at AMK or any of the Rodalink branches (Google it) for a look at Polygon road bikes. Chapter2Cycle and LnT now also carry rather value-for-money road bikes by this brand called Avanti. Merida road bikes can also be in your consideration for their value. So yes, Polygon, Merida, and Avanti. :D

for mountain bikes, seriously consider the GT Avalanche. though super cliche, it's the toughest frame and decent components you'd get for the price range. Probably a disc brake change to Shimano Deore will do since you're doing mostly road. Anything above is just... bling. I cannot emphasize this enough. Anything above the Deore LX series is more than enough for most riders I know, including myself. It's just to boost egos to overcompensate for our lack of skills that we don't acknowledge enough of.

Get a GT Avalanche and switch to slicks if you must, cos if my younger brother can ride a sh*t steel mtb with brandless parts and v-brakes and still keep up with his friend along Lornie Road on a road bike going at 30km/h, so can anyone else.

First and foremost: Be a better rider, outride your bike, then earn the right to know what you need.

Above all, ride safe. :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.