HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Official cycling thread]

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #2041

just change my pads to jagwire since my old one wore out and i am loving it
Prolly HWZ's most otaku mod XD |Speedknight.com:-Capturing the Photographic Memories of Singapore's Japanese Sub(pop)culture Events & More.|Speed is a wonderful servant but a deadly master| A moment of Stupidity,A lifetime of regrets

speedknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 11:57 PM   #2042
Arch-Supremacy Member

Received my disco light already.

Just to banter banter, not show off, nothing new actually.

total took 6+5 days to arrive.

Think can go park near coconut tree n play some bollywood song.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2rhs587.jpg
goaheadbingostan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #2043
Arch-Supremacy Member

hi hi

juz want to check if anyone has any experience with the polygon shimano bike that safra is selling for the national runway cycling event?

how is the bike for a beginner like me? thanx =)
Old 30-04-2009, 02:28 AM   #2044
Supremacy Member

Just back from PCN trip to changi coast road.
Stuffs are all transferred from old bike except the seatpost due to different diameter and LX rear v -brake to second hand LX rear hydraulic with XT rotor.

Hardtail owners should seriously consider this frame if planning for frame replacement.
Low Centre of Gravity.
wah another marin. gong xi gong xi

can go off-road with agent_shoots liao!

btw, I'm in toa payoh too and sometimes go trails/road-riding with agent_shoots. if you wanna do off-road, can find agent_shoots. road riding can pm me. i am riding mtb too!
timelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 03:17 AM   #2045
Honorary Member

wah another marin. gong xi gong xi

can go off-road with agent_shoots liao!

btw, I'm in toa payoh too and sometimes go trails/road-riding with agent_shoots. if you wanna do off-road, can find agent_shoots. road riding can pm me. i am riding mtb too!
long kang cycling can PM moi~
Old 30-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #2046
Master Member

hmmm check togoparts i saw damn good deal for slx gruppo including cranks for like 250 only!?
Old 30-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #2047
Supremacy Member

What's your bicycle type? Cross country/all-mountain or..?

Cross country usually goes with 4" (100mm) travel or slightly less at 80mm. Fox has the F-series forks in that case; F80R-RLC or F100R-RLC.

Can check out on other longer travel Fox forks if your bike is an all-mountain/downhill one.
if i am riding like 80% on road - 20% off road - consider XC??

downhill mean what ah?

my current stock fork has 100mm travel...
Old 30-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #2048
Arch-Supremacy Member

Some tips and techniques, will update more as I come across them

Covering scratches: Use nail polish, its available in almost every colour imaginable and provides good protection against rust. Personally, I use Sally Hansen cus its easier to apply and dries fast, costs about $4-6/bottle.

Theft deterrance: If you've no lock and have to leave your bike alone for a few minutes, you can do one or all of these:

1) With your chain on the largest chainring (the front gear part thingy), shift so that the front derailluer (the front shifting thingy) would move to the smallest chainring. But do this WITHOUT pedalling.

Anyone who tries to cycle off would have to kick the pedals into position first, and this would render the chain jumping off the gears and getting stuck between the bike frame and smallest chainring. This effectively makes your bike unridable.

2) If you are using V brakes, disengage the front and rear brakes. This can be done by pressing both sides of the brake arms together and unhooking the brake cable from its holder. Anyone trying to cycle off with your bike will be in for a nasty shock when he finds out that he can't brake!

3) Unscrew the knob on your brake levers just enough so that it backs out without being disengaged from the rest of the brake lever body. This tightens your brakes. Meaning, it'll only require very little finger movement to give a heckuva powerful stopping power! This should give the person a rude shock as well! :happy:

4) If you are using quick release skewers on your wheels, unscrew the front skewers out and rest the front fork ends on the skewer rod. This should give the illusion that the front wheel is still attached to the fork, but the moment the would-be thief tries to cycle off, the fork would slip off the skewers and give da fella another shock. Hurhurhur...

*Added* 04/12/05

How to lighten your bike without lightening your wallet much:

1) Change your inner tubes (the stuff that inflates your tyres) to lightweight ones. Standard tubes cost about $5 and weigh about 200g each. Lightweight ones can cost around $12 and weigh 150g each or less.

Cost: $24
Total weight savings: +/-100g

2) Change your knobbly tyres to either semi-slick/slick (botak) tyres or lighter knobbly tyres. Most knobbly tyres can weigh 600g each. Lighter weight ones weigh around 300++ g, e.g. Maxxis Flyweight. But beware, the softer and lighter rubber means that it can be prone to debris getting stuck and wearing a hole through the tyre and to the tube, resulting in a puncture.

Cost: $70 and up for a pair of tyres
Total weight savings: up to 600g or more depending on the tyres.

Lighter weight at the wheels, especially the outer edge, equals to lesser rotating mass and faster acceleration.
I hear Sally Hansen is good stuff. What about padded brassiere?
Old 30-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #2049
Arch-Supremacy Member

if i am riding like 80% on road - 20% off road - consider XC??

downhill mean what ah?

my current stock fork has 100mm travel...
If you are riding a hybrid or even a mtb with slicks, you might encounter problems for that 20% off road.
I had experienced the tires dig into loose sand and I got thrown off the bike when I went into very light off road at punggol point and ECP when I was on mtb with 1.3" slicks. Can be cycling along when suddenly hit a patch of loose sand. The sudden deceleration can make me to just fly off the bike. So I have 2 sets of tires, knobbies for off road and slicks when I know the trip is strictly a road ride.

For your question on what is downhill. I found this on mtbr. See the 13th post. Just take it as a reference as some seems to have different opinions.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=511610

Last edited by patcheon; 30-04-2009 at 12:58 PM..
patcheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #2050
Supremacy Member

If you are riding a hybrid or even a mtb with slicks, you might encounter problems for that 20% off road.
I had experienced the tires dig into loose sand and I got thrown off the bike when I went into very light off road at punggol point and ECP when I was on mtb with 1.3" slicks. Can be cycling along when suddenly hit a patch of loose sand. The sudden deceleration can make me to just fly off the bike. So I have 2 sets of tires, knobbies for off road and slicks when I know the trip is strictly a road ride.

For your question on what is downhill. I found this on mtbr. See the 13th post. Just take it as a reference as some seems to have different opinions.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=511610
thanks for the advice!
based on the definition... I think i am into XC...

Last edited by Ah_keong; 30-04-2009 at 02:07 PM..
Ah_keong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #2051
Honorary Member

no need slicks for road... knobbies can do everything
Old 30-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #2052

jus a heads up,

the ulu pandan PCN, near the commonwealth side, the PCN is under construction. part of it was condoned off with the ground being dug up for insertion of new water pipe. so unless u go offroad a bit or use the rickety old bridge, u won't get across to the commonwealth side.

damn, tried cycling there then half way meet this behemoth of a excavater. NB~!
gasgasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #2053
Arch-Supremacy Member

Here too. Some construction works going on at certain parts of Yio Chu Kang rd.

Beware of it.
Old 30-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #2054

thanks for the advice!
based on the definition... I think i am into XC...
make sure u get a frame that fits a 100mm fork. if size different, e.g. 140mm fork for a 100mm frame, the headtube may crack under stress. and fox F-100 series forks are not recomanded for heavy duty jumps in trails

my 2cents
cloudbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #2055

hmmm check togoparts i saw damn good deal for slx gruppo including cranks for like 250 only!?
wad u waiting for
cloudbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.