[Official cycling thread]

Alpha_Hippo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
erm ask chiu all ar,

currently, my mtb the handling veri sensitive leh. as in like, when u attempt to jump over a hump or other kill of jump, the handlebar will nt be stable , then sumtimes when landin tt time, the front wheel will slant .

izzit due to the handlebar prob or stem prob?

tt time i try my frenz cannondale , i jump n land no prob leh. the handlebar wont becum unstable.

any idea which part i hav to change to make it less sensitive.

is your stem tighten?

What stem, headset, wheelset and handlebar are u using?

qwerty_hippo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i usin stock part from gt ava 2.0 leh . nt sure bout the parts. the stem is tighten .

or does a longer stem helps?

qwerty_hippo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my jump refer like , when u go over hump at high spd, then lift the front wheel , the handlebar will be veri sensitive. like move abit the wheel will turn. sumtime when landin tt time, the front wheel will tend to turn to a different direction wif the handlebar.

Alpha_Hippo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my jump refer like , when u go over hump at high spd, then lift the front wheel , the handlebar will be veri sensitive. like move abit the wheel will turn. sumtime when landin tt time, the front wheel will tend to turn to a different direction wif the handlebar.

Your headset loose or not? is your wheelset okay?

pew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
erm ask chiu all ar,

currently, my mtb the handling veri sensitive leh. as in like, when u attempt to jump over a hump or other kill of jump, the handlebar will nt be stable , then sumtimes when landin tt time, the front wheel will slant .

izzit due to the handlebar prob or stem prob?

tt time i try my frenz cannondale , i jump n land no prob leh. the handlebar wont becum unstable.

any idea which part i hav to change to make it less sensitive.

If everything is tight, a longer stem or a longer handlebar might help, but that would retard the steering and alter the CG altogether.

xypher

Reaction score
Is a GT Ava 3.0 @ $650 a good deal? Or should I look at other brands like Giant/Raleigh etc. I went to the pasir ris whitesands shop and LnT at tampines. I heard siglap area got a few shops to check out, will be doing so this week.

bigbadber

Banned
Reaction score
different manufacturer got different sizing, so for some, so if brand A M can fit you, brand B may not fit.

When they put size 19 or 20" they are referring to the C to T, which is the centre of the BB to the top of the Seat Tube. IMO not a good gauge of size (I also dun understand y they take that as a standard) look at the effective top tube length instead.

okie thanks for explaining. tho the terms are too cheem for me. dunno wads C to T and BB.

pew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
okie thanks for explaining. tho the terms are too cheem for me. dunno wads C to T and BB.

BB is bottom bracket, which is the erm..... the axle which your crank arms spins (somebody please explain, my england not powderful)

C to T simply means Centre of BB to Top of seat tube.

Seat tube is the part of the frame that holds your seat.

I think there is a post in the previous pages that shows you the different parts of the bike.

Alpha_Hippo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is a GT Ava 3.0 @ $650 a good deal? Or should I look at other brands like Giant/Raleigh etc. I went to the pasir ris whitesands shop and LnT at tampines. I heard siglap area got a few shops to check out, will be doing so this week.

nope. I assume u are talking about the 2009 model. I got GT ava 3.0 for my wife for $550.

xypher

Reaction score
Im looking for the 2009 Disc model. Did you get the disc one for 550? Where did you get it?

bigbadber

Banned
Reaction score
may i ask, wats the selling price of a 2008 GT AVALANCHE 2.0 with Disc brakes?

anybody familiar?

Agent Shoots

Master Member
Reaction score
gt ava 3.0 2009 v-brakes is 550, disc is 650
Alpha_Hippo got it at C2C, but afaik they're already out or are running really low on 09 GT Avas already
you can try Soon Hock at AMK Ave 1 though, just opp Bishan Park 1, talk to the auntie, she offers slightly cheaper prices with freebies thrown in

as for gt ava 2.0 2008 disc brakes, brand new i'd say you're looking around $460+/-
there's not much diference in the 08 and 09 bikes actually.

xypher

Reaction score
2008 Ava 2.0 for $460? Are you positively sure? Most places i saw it being sold at 550++ (can't remember exactly how much)

Agent Shoots

Master Member
Reaction score
sorry my bad, that was my estimate for 2nd hand. cos i didnt think there'd still be new stocks for 2008 GT Avas around

firdie

Reaction score
Hi bros of HWZ ..just asking if i had $500 what should i get or what should i upgrade of my Raleigh Mojave 5.5 Disc ?Current specs

Frame - Ralleigh Mojave 5.5 7005 Alu
Fork - Marzocchi MG400
Shifters - SRAM TRX
FD - Shimano Acera
RD - Shimano Tourney
Saddle - Fi:zi'k Gobi XM
Seatpost - Raleigh ...(Dunno just write there raleigh)
Brakes - Avid 5
Levers - Tektro (Don't know)
Wheelset dunno but all i know is that the rear wheel need to replace as the hub cage spoil
as it sunk in hence need to change hub but my hub is 28 spoke so hard to find so need to change rims...Haizzz

OR

What bike can i get but i need to sell my bike first so can u guys recommend me a decent price i can sell it for ??

I want a good hardtail for daily cycling at ECP,PCN XC??

And I wanna start Road biking so i can go green and travel on 2 wheels ...I got a budget of MAX $800 ..And what is the average spd difference of MTB n RB??

Answers are greatly appreciated..Thanks all!!

firdie

Reaction score
Oh ya got this qs

is this a gd buy ?
15" frame, good for 160-170cm.
A1 Premium Aluminum frame
RST CAPA 17A 80mm fork
Shimano 8psd (ALIVIO)components
Scott X-rod flat bar
Condition 8/10 (from lack of use rather than abuse)

Ugrades:
Deore LX hydraulic disc brakes (a $180 value)
Mavic Crossride wheelset (a $300 value)
Fizik Aliante Carbon saddle (a $200 value)
Spank lockon grips with white trim
Control Tech stumpy bar ends

Freebies:
White Ritchey WCS Streem saddle (almost 90bucks)
Scott saddle bag
Panaracer Slicks (about 90 dollars)
Bunch of bike parts that I no longer need: assorted 8spd stuff, vbrakes etc.

Never Trailed only on concrete paths. Selling because fiancee lost interest in cycling.

all for $750

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Hi bros of HWZ ..just asking if i had $500 what should i get or what should i upgrade of my Raleigh Mojave 5.5 Disc ?Current specs

Frame - Ralleigh Mojave 5.5 7005 Alu
Fork - Marzocchi MG400
Shifters - SRAM TRX
FD - Shimano Acera
RD - Shimano Tourney
Saddle - Fi:zi'k Gobi XM
Seatpost - Raleigh ...(Dunno just write there raleigh)
Brakes - Avid 5
Levers - Tektro (Don't know)
Wheelset dunno but all i know is that the rear wheel need to replace as the hub cage spoil
as it sunk in hence need to change hub but my hub is 28 spoke so hard to find so need to change rims...Haizzz

OR

What bike can i get but i need to sell my bike first so can u guys recommend me a decent price i can sell it for ??

I want a good hardtail for daily cycling at ECP,PCN XC??

And I wanna start Road biking so i can go green and travel on 2 wheels ...I got a budget of MAX $800 ..And what is the average spd difference of MTB n RB??

Answers are greatly appreciated..Thanks all!!
$500 go soup ur mojave..

change drivetrain 1st, shifters, FD, RD, chain, cassette if possible crank also.. can try SLX, is got enough $, then XT

or dun change crank and give attention to ur rear hub 1st...

if $800 can do both drivetrain and hub..

if u wan to do road only, sell everything and get road bike

Agent Shoots

Master Member
Reaction score
what's wrong with your Mojave 5.5 Disc? :alien:

but since you have money to throw, and you already have a nice base setup that i assume you're already comfy with, i say stick with it and upgrade your wheelset to 9-speed since you say you have to replace anyway, change to BB7 disc brakes, Thomson seatpost, and Deore groupset (FD, RD, Shifters etc) will do absolutely fine for your purposes since it's similar to mine. and i'm only on an "old" v-brakes system.

if you wanna buy new one, GT Ava 2.0 Disc brake lor. or Giant Yukon which i personally prefer. Kona Caldera/Blast/Cinder Cone also good stuff.

i dunno. man if i were you i'd just upgrade. cos you'd still upgrade even if you get a new one. the poison never ends

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.