HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Official cycling thread]

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #1171

Hi! I'm new to cycling and have decided to get a bicycle with a budget of $400 max. Could you guys please recommend me some bikes? I've done research and I think the following bikes are in my range but i'm not sure if they are suitable for me.

The bikes i saw:
Giant Yukong/Boulder
GT Avalanch
Jamis Dakota 1.0/2.0
Trek 3700
GT Avalanche 3.0 V Brake
Hasa Comp 1

Anyway I will mainly be using the bike for on road riding. Totally have no intention of going off-road. I would love to have a roadie but it's way to expensive! So i've decided to get a Single Suspension MTB and then fit them with 1.25" wheels! So can you guys please recommend me a good entry level bike which i can slowly upgrade the parts of?

Oh and I stay in AMK. So will be visiting Chapter 2 Cycle tomorrow! I do have a great fetish for thin wheels and either a White or really Shiny Silver bike. It'd be great if I could find a 2nd hand bike but it's really hard to find! I'm only 1.62m so I'll only be able to use a S or M frame!

Also, i'm currently eyeing this a 2001 GT Aggresor Mountain Bike. Specs are: Aluminium frame, full Shimano Deore setup, ProMax Brakes, Rock Shox Judy TT Jett Fork, Cateye Cordless 2 (no batteries though). Size L. Isit a good buy? Ha I like how the GT bikes look!

I would really appreciate any reply! After reading 79 pages of this thread, i'm super excited to get the bike. Too bad the shop isnt open now!

Many thanks!
I'm not sure how much is the Hasa 1.0 but Polygon series will fit your budget.

I'm also looking at some bikes and Giant Yukon ($500++ to $600++) /Boulder($400++) exceeds your budget. GT Avalanche 3.0v also at $550+

Jamis u can have a look at TrailX3 or X2 series, might fit your budget but pls check with Hup Leong first
SuperDecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #1172

I'm not sure how much is the Hasa 1.0 but Polygon series will fit your budget.

I'm also looking at some bikes and Giant Yukon ($500++ to $600++) /Boulder($400++) exceeds your budget. GT Avalanche 3.0v also at $550+

Jamis u can have a look at TrailX3 or X2 series, might fit your budget but pls check with Hup Leong first
Thanks for your reply.. Hmm the Jamis bikes arent exactly very aesthetically pleasing to me. As for the Yukon/Boulder/3.0 I found sellers selling for $400 2nd hand. Not sure if they are suitable to be converted for road riding though? Does anyone knwo?

Also from what i understand, disc brakes are mostly for MTBs. So if intend to use slick tyres, will disc brakes on the bike be a problem?
ExistXz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #1173
Honorary Member

Hi! I'm new to cycling and have decided to get a bicycle with a budget of $400 max. Could you guys please recommend me some bikes? I've done research and I think the following bikes are in my range but i'm not sure if they are suitable for me.

The bikes i saw:
Giant Yukong/Boulder
GT Avalanch
Jamis Dakota 1.0/2.0
Trek 3700
GT Avalanche 3.0 V Brake
Hasa Comp 1

Anyway I will mainly be using the bike for on road riding. Totally have no intention of going off-road. I would love to have a roadie but it's way to expensive! So i've decided to get a Single Suspension MTB and then fit them with 1.25" wheels! So can you guys please recommend me a good entry level bike which i can slowly upgrade the parts of?

Oh and I stay in AMK. So will be visiting Chapter 2 Cycle tomorrow! I do have a great fetish for thin wheels and either a White or really Shiny Silver bike. It'd be great if I could find a 2nd hand bike but it's really hard to find! I'm only 1.62m so I'll only be able to use a S or M frame!

Also, i'm currently eyeing this a 2001 GT Aggresor Mountain Bike. Specs are: Aluminium frame, full Shimano Deore setup, ProMax Brakes, Rock Shox Judy TT Jett Fork, Cateye Cordless 2 (no batteries though). Size L. Isit a good buy? Ha I like how the GT bikes look!

I would really appreciate any reply! After reading 79 pages of this thread, i'm super excited to get the bike. Too bad the shop isnt open now!

Many thanks!
hi there, $400 is a good budget to start with.. u can look at the jamis trail-x too, iirc $375 at hup leong..

anyway most entry mtb are 18 - 24 speed with some at 27 speed.. drivetrain is upgradeable so fret not.. for ur slicks, if u have cash to spare, get the panaracer t-serv..

and the GT aggressor, at L size, most probably u wun be able to fit but then u can try the bike to make sure..

have u visted www.togoparts.com ?

its a good site to start with, lotsa deals also..
Old 14-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #1174
Honorary Member

Thanks for your reply.. Hmm the Jamis bikes arent exactly very aesthetically pleasing to me. As for the Yukon/Boulder/3.0 I found sellers selling for $400 2nd hand. Not sure if they are suitable to be converted for road riding though? Does anyone knwo?

Also from what i understand, disc brakes are mostly for MTBs. So if intend to use slick tyres, will disc brakes on the bike be a problem?
most bike are able to accomodate semi slicks.. just change the tube and tires and u are done..

disc brake are categorised into mechanical and hydraulics.. u need to have disc ready hubs and appropriate disc mounts on ur fork and frame in order to install disc brakes...

disc brakes offer better modulation and stopping power then vee brakes, esp in wet condition when braking is of importance.. to ur qn whether will it be a prob, once u have the above mentioned ready, it shud not be a prob to install disc brakes on ur bike... disc hubs are for the installation of disc rotors and mounts are for the mounting of ur disc brake calipers..

however do consider ur needs, whether do u need it... imo vee brakes suffice for most uses... esp now u are on budget... disc brakes will cost u substantial amt of money.. but for bling bling wise of cos disc brake is the way to go..
Old 14-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #1175

hi there, $400 is a good budget to start with.. u can look at the jamis trail-x too, iirc $375 at hup leong..

anyway most entry mtb are 18 - 24 speed with some at 27 speed.. drivetrain is upgradeable so fret not.. for ur slicks, if u have cash to spare, get the panaracer t-serv..

and the GT aggressor, at L size, most probably u wun be able to fit but then u can try the bike to make sure..

have u visted www.togoparts.com ?

its a good site to start with, lotsa deals also..
i love the aggressor! there's someone selling an m sized one at:
http://www.togoparts.com/marketplace...%26page_id%3D2
but no picture and there are disc brakes. anyone know about whether disk brakes are going to be a problem for slicks? and is this a good deal?

and yes i have been to togoparts! browsed through like 15 pages of the marketplace. sigh saw some really good deals but they have been snapped up! there was a louis something something bike which was so pretty! a white road bike for only $500. anyone know where i can find that brand in singapore? sigh a brand new one will definitely be out of my budget though.

EDIT: just saw your reply! oh i just that disc brakes would not allow me to put on slick tyres. but i'm wrong! i definitely do not need slick brakes though. thanks alot for your informative reply! and hmm so the $400 GT Aggressor should be a pretty good deal right?
And as for the Jamis, i know it's stupid but i dont like how most of their bikes have the spongy thingy at their front suspension. To me, makes it look cheap! =\

Last edited by ExistXz; 14-12-2008 at 09:31 PM..
Old 14-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #1176
Honorary Member

i love the aggressor! there's someone selling an m sized one at:
http://www.togoparts.com/marketplace...%26page_id%3D2
but no picture and there are disc brakes. anyone know about whether disk brakes are going to be a problem for slicks? and is this a good deal?

and yes i have been to togoparts! browsed through like 15 pages of the marketplace. sigh saw some really good deals but they have been snapped up! there was a louis something something bike which was so pretty! a white road bike for only $500. anyone know where i can find that brand in singapore? sigh a brand new one will definitely be out of my budget though.

EDIT: just saw your reply! oh i just that disc brakes would not allow me to put on slick tyres. but i'm wrong! i definitely do not need slick brakes though. thanks alot for your informative reply! and hmm so the $400 GT Aggressor should be a pretty good deal right?
its a GT avalanche 3.0 not an aggressor.. size wise it is better to ask for an appt to try the bike.. using myself as an example.. i am 1.8m but my frame size is S and it fits fine.. cos diff bike diff geometry and dimensions.. trying the bike is the best way to noe whether it fits anot.. do google abt bike fit ya..

louis garneau? hup leong have them iirc..
Old 14-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #1177
Honorary Member

And as for the Jamis, i know it's stupid but i dont like how most of their bikes have the spongy thingy at their front suspension. To me, makes it look cheap! =\
yup no problem

$400 is not bad.. but do try the bike first as per mentioned.. bike fit is everything in cycling, if the bike dun fit, u wun enjoy the sport... however a word of advice, it is better to get a smaller bike then a bigger bike if there is no size tat fits u as the size diff for the smaller bike can be offset by the stem length and rise, setback seatpost etc.. for a bigger frame, there is no way to make it smaller for u..

those black spongy things are there to provide protection for the stanchions of the suspension.. cos entry level suspensions normally have steel stanchions which will rust if they get into contact with water..

can cut away those rubber if u wan but it will shorten the lifespan of the suspension..
Old 14-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #1178
Honorary Member

if u wan to upgrade to those without the rubber thingy, u need to come up with more cash..

better suspensions use aluminium for the stanchions and most are anodized to offer protection and better performance
Old 14-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #1179
Arch-Supremacy Member

I think what ExistXz mean is.....will the disc brake be a problem if he wants to change the tire to slick.Example,the disc brake is not compatible with slick tire

I dont think he wants a disc brake but the guy selling the bike comes with disc brake

Am i right ExistXz
mONK_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 09:51 PM   #1180
Honorary Member

I think what ExistXz mean is.....will the disc brake be a problem if he wants to change the tire to slick.Example,the disc brake is not compatible with slick tire

I dont think he wants a disc brake but the guy selling the bike comes with disc brake

Am i right ExistXz
if this is wat he meant.. it will also not be a problem as tires are tires.. brakes are brakes
Old 14-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #1181
Honorary Member

yup i think tats wat he meant.. thanx for the correction
Old 14-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #1182

Wow technica, you have a beautiful bike. Oh yeah it's a Avalanche not an aggressor, sorry for the mistake.

I saw some other beautiful bikes, the low end scott ones! Ahh if only someone was selling it 2nd hand.

As for the size, i did some research on the net and found out about why it's so important to get the proper size. That's why i'll be heading down to C2C tomorrow to check out the sizes which suit me. (:

As for cutting away the rubber, maybe i can consider that. lol. It'll be even better if i manage to find a bike which comes without it!

EDIT: Wow you all post very quickly! Yes thanks monk 87, that's exactly what i meant. Hmm since it wont be a problem then i guess i can really consider the avalanche!
Old 14-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #1183
Honorary Member

Wow technica, you have a beautiful bike. Oh yeah it's a Avalanche not an aggressor, sorry for the mistake.

I saw some other beautiful bikes, the low end scott ones! Ahh if only someone was selling it 2nd hand.

As for the size, i did some research on the net and found out about why it's so important to get the proper size. That's why i'll be heading down to C2C tomorrow to check out the sizes which suit me. (:

As for cutting away the rubber, maybe i can consider that. lol. It'll be even better if i manage to find a bike which comes without it!

EDIT: Wow you all post very quickly! Yes thanks monk 87, that's exactly what i meant. Hmm since it wont be a problem then i guess i can really consider the avalanche!
nah, its just a bike tat brings me joy~

scotts voltage?

so do get a bike tat fits u ya? shortlist ya choices and we can discuss more..

as for the rubber.. jamis durango has manitou axel and it doesnt have the rubber thingy
(but personal experience is tat the stanchions do still rust abit)

GT ava is using the suntour xcm/xcr.. also dun have the rubber..
Old 14-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #1184

nah, its just a bike tat brings me joy~

scotts voltage?

so do get a bike tat fits u ya? shortlist ya choices and we can discuss more..

as for the rubber.. jamis durango has manitou axel and it doesnt have the rubber thingy
(but personal experience is tat the stanchions do still rust abit)

GT ava is using the suntour xcm/xcr.. also dun have the rubber..
I see. Now i have shortlisted the bikes i'm really interested in:
GT Avalanche 3.0
GT Aggressor 2001
Jamis Durango
Giant Yukon

What would be the price range for a brand new or 2nd hand one. From what i saw, should be like these:
GT Avalanche 3.0 - 2nd hand: $400
GT Aggressor 2001 - 2nd hand: $350
Jamis Durango - 2nd hand 3 year old one going for $200
Giant Yukon - 2nd hand: $400, brand new: $600.
Giant Boulder - 2nd hand: $220

What's the difference between Yukon and Boulder?

Which bike would be most suitable? And if i want to change the rubber part, as in the suspension part, how much would it cost to change? Many thanks!

Last edited by ExistXz; 14-12-2008 at 10:13 PM..
Old 14-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #1185
Honorary Member

I see. Now i have shortlisted the bikes i'm really interested in:
GT Avalanche 3.0
GT Aggressor 2001
Jamis Durango
Giant Yukon

What would be the price range for a brand new or 2nd hand one. From what i saw, should be like these:
GT Avalanche 3.0 - 2nd hand: $400
GT Aggressor 2001 - 2nd hand: $350
Jamis Durango - 2nd hand 3 year old one going for $200
Giant Yukon - 2nd hand: $400, brand new: $600.
Giant Boulder - 2nd hand: $220

What's the difference between Yukon and Boulder?

Which bike would be most suitable? And if i want to change the rubber part, as in the suspension part, how much would it cost to change? Many thanks!
the ava is a level higher then the aggressor iirc.. not sure abt the giant..

suitable i am not sure.. are u depending on price? 2nd hand also need to look at cond and parts also.. so yeah, alot of factors..

u mean changing the suspension? cos u cant just change the stanchions... i mean conventionally.. unconventionally u can but it will cost u alot more.. haha..

there are alot of suspension fork in the market too.. it all boils down to budget
but i advise u not get too bother abt it.. cos the suspension can easily eat half of ur budget.. say u are to get a mid-low range one..

Last edited by tecnica; 14-12-2008 at 10:25 PM..
tecnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.