HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Official cycling thread]

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-12-2008, 02:04 AM   #1201
pew
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm probably going with the Boulder. I kinda prefer it to the Durango.

Anyway before I really go make the choice, may I ask if the GT Avalanche 3.0 would be a much better buy? For cruising on the roads, which will make a smoother and faster ride? Is the difference really alot?

I kinda plan to upgrade parts slowly, like the wheelset, cranks, gears, etc. So will the GT one give me a good enough stock pieces such that I wont need to upgrade that much?

The Boulder costs $220. GT Avalanche costs $400. So which will be more worth it in the end?

i should think the durango frame would be the same class as the avalanche. but if u dont like the frame, then no point.

If u plan to upgrade the bike, start of withe at least the avalanche. (also do take note that the boulder comes with 36 spokes wheelset which is super heavy)

Since riding on road, the look for a pair of cheap slicks (If u don't mind the weight, can try the panaracer Pasela which is the same as the very popular T-serv, except it's wire bead and is alot cheaper. ) Next thing you might want to look at would be finetuning your contact points, eg stem length and rise, stack height, handlebar rise and sweep, seatpost offset (all these u need to slowly trial and error. Next thing would be a rigid fork, carbon is more comfortable and lighter. After that, you may want to upgrade to a 9 speed drivetrain (u might want to use a roadie rear D and cassette since u only doing road. after that wheelset.

By the time, u might want to change frame or straight away go road bike.
pew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 02:05 AM   #1202
pew
Arch-Supremacy Member

i think that was discussed to death in SMBF but u went ahead with yr racer x. Road bike cannot off road - that is a consolation. Like they said, you can't have everything.
well...too bad, i still enjoy offroad
Old 15-12-2008, 06:42 AM   #1203

I just tried my friend'd roadie for a few km yesterday, and I must say it's really UNFAIR ADVANTAGE. If you totally do not intend to go offroad at all, do yourself a favor, save up and get a roadie. People tell me 101 things good about roadie, i don't believe, after riding it for a few km, now I finally understand, the speed, the ease of maintaining high speed, it's really a different class altogether. Everything else is a compromise.

If u must get a hybrid, look out for the geometry, the shorter the chainstay, the faster the acceleration. look for steep headtube and seat tube angle so that ur centre of gravity is pushed to the front, can chiong faster. For road riding, use a longer stem, 100-110mm and a flat bar.

But if u can, just get a roadie......really
That's why I always advise those who do purely road only to get a road bike instead of a mtb unless they specifically know what they want (which most don't actually).
vernon_wmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 08:30 AM   #1204
Honorary Member

mtb can chiong longkang

roadie cannot
Old 15-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #1205

I just came from C2C. Sigh looks like only 16" frames can fit me. The uncle there was super busy and wasnt really able to help me.

Anyway for my price range all he had to offer were the Polygon Xtrada frame or something. Which i didnt like. If only someone would sell a GT Avalanche 3.0 S Size!
ExistXz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #1206
pew
Arch-Supremacy Member

mtb can chiong longkang

roadie cannot
he want to change slicks, and slicks also cannot chiong longkang
Old 15-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #1207
Honorary Member

I just came from C2C. Sigh looks like only 16" frames can fit me. The uncle there was super busy and wasnt really able to help me.

Anyway for my price range all he had to offer were the Polygon Xtrada frame or something. Which i didnt like. If only someone would sell a GT Avalanche 3.0 S Size!
camp tgp... good deals do come by at times
Old 15-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #1208
Honorary Member

he want to change slicks, and slicks also cannot chiong longkang
hoot a pair of knobby for spare roh
Old 15-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #1209
pew
Arch-Supremacy Member

hoot a pair of knobby for spare roh
Best is hoot another wheelset, same hubs same rims, same cassette.

change tires very sian one
Old 15-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #1210
Arch-Supremacy Member

Why u never approach Uncle Ben?

Those not wearing C2C Polo T....like not really helping out.Like rushing me to buy the bicycle.
mONK_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #1211

Why u never approach Uncle Ben?

Those not wearing C2C Polo T....like not really helping out.Like rushing me to buy the bicycle.
I dont know who is who. First time there, the person i approached was wearing the polo t. But like talk to me halfway then call come, talk halfway, another customer looking for him then he went to attend. Oh well.
ExistXz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #1212
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ic..They are always busy
mONK_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #1213
Arch-Supremacy Member

u dun talk can?
huai chiu dunch rike moi
Mister Bart Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #1214
Arch-Supremacy Member

Jamis Durango? Durango 1.0 is $760 and 2.0 is $970. But i think prices can be lowered further, saw someone mentioned he was quoted $800+ for 2.0
ya...i saw that info on tgp too, $800+ is after bargaining de
i was considering the 29inches, but then the auntie told me over the phone they only brought in the 26"..

but still i might go down take a look

so far, havent decide on a bike yet

most bike are able to accomodate semi slicks.. just change the tube and tires and u are done..

disc brake are categorised into mechanical and hydraulics.. u need to have disc ready hubs and appropriate disc mounts on ur fork and frame in order to install disc brakes...

disc brakes offer better modulation and stopping power then vee brakes, esp in wet condition when braking is of importance.. to ur qn whether will it be a prob, once u have the above mentioned ready, it shud not be a prob to install disc brakes on ur bike... disc hubs are for the installation of disc rotors and mounts are for the mounting of ur disc brake calipers..

however do consider ur needs, whether do u need it... imo vee brakes suffice for most uses... esp now u are on budget... disc brakes will cost u substantial amt of money.. but for bling bling wise of cos disc brake is the way to go..
hey tecnica, great piece of info for every newbie...

thanks thanks!

fishercell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #1215
pew
Arch-Supremacy Member

ya...i saw that info on tgp too, $800+ is after bargaining de
i was considering the 29inches, but then the auntie told me over the phone they only brought in the 26"..

but still i might go down take a look

so far, havent decide on a bike yet

hey tecnica, great piece of info for every newbie...

thanks thanks!

29" quote niche one, your fork, wheelset all very expensive.
And u got to have certain height to ride 29er
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.