HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 6

Like Tree470Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2021, 12:35 AM   #6301

Got it thank you very much! Is there anywhere you would recommend I go try? I guess decathlon ?
I bought mine at Jack Bike SG. They are located at an Industrial Bulding in Upper Paya Lebar Road. You can locate them in Carousell. Just search for Jackbikesg. They carry quite a few brands there. You can also see some of their videos on YouTube.

What I like is that they have test/display bikes there, so you can see and feel exactly what you want to get. They can assemble the bike out of the box as well if requested and there a small area you can test ride.
kelvin_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 01:07 AM   #6302

I have got 2 foldie bikes of the same brand/model. The only difference is in the 20 inch rims/wheels and tyres. One has a sport rim with the thinner Chaoyang tyres. While the other has the normal spokes rim with thicker Kenda mountain bike tyres. I guess both are entry level tyres that comes standard with the bike. I paid $50 extra for the sports rim.

I notice the ride on bike with normal spoke Kenda tyres feels "heavier" to pedal and not as smooth as the other. At gear 3 (both Shimano) on level smooth pavement can already notice the difference.

I was just wondering if the heavier feel, is it due to the tyres or the rim or both? I like the smoother ride with the Chaoyang tyres but I prefer the rugged look of the Kenda tyres. I need to change my Chaoyang tyres soon and if the heaviness is mainly due to the rim then I will switch to Kenda tyres.

Or is there any other consideration I can look at to experience a smoother and lighter ride? Thanks!

Bike Noob.
super365 likes this.
kelvin_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 08:43 PM   #6303

I have got 2 foldie bikes of the same brand/model. The only difference is in the 20 inch rims/wheels and tyres. One has a sport rim with the thinner Chaoyang tyres. While the other has the normal spokes rim with thicker Kenda mountain bike tyres. I guess both are entry level tyres that comes standard with the bike. I paid $50 extra for the sports rim.

I notice the ride on bike with normal spoke Kenda tyres feels "heavier" to pedal and not as smooth as the other. At gear 3 (both Shimano) on level smooth pavement can already notice the difference.

I was just wondering if the heavier feel, is it due to the tyres or the rim or both? I like the smoother ride with the Chaoyang tyres but I prefer the rugged look of the Kenda tyres. I need to change my Chaoyang tyres soon and if the heaviness is mainly due to the rim then I will switch to Kenda tyres.

Or is there any other consideration I can look at to experience a smoother and lighter ride? Thanks!

Bike Noob.
2 things to consider:
weight of the wheel + tyre
Rolling resistance of tyre (slick tyre v MTB tyre)

Best show pictures of your tyres.
Old 22-02-2021, 10:26 PM   #6304
High Supremacy Member

So to prevent cross chaining, I should avoid switching to gear 1 on the left and gear 9 on the right at the same time and gear 2 on the left and gear 1 on the right at the same time?
Watch this.

super365 likes this.
Old 23-02-2021, 12:14 AM   #6305
Arch-Supremacy Member

Watch this.

Yes saw this video a few days back..think this is one of the better ones out there that explains.

But he explained in terms of 3 gears on the left. I just wanted to make sure my understanding is correct for 2 gears on the left
IceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 10:21 AM   #6306

Hi. Anyone able to share that On the day of appointment at Brompton Junction Funan, do we only arrive at the allocated time or can be there early?
htancl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 08:52 PM   #6307

Just bought a bike.

What accessories/tools are must have when cycling outside?

Regarding spare tubes, what size/kind should I get? Sorry a bicycle noobie here.
If it's a full sized bicycle, learn how to remove the wheels off so you can take a taxi/Grab home when you're out of stamina

Confession time: did this a few times myself
ivanhmh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 08:37 AM   #6308
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi. Anyone able to share that On the day of appointment at Brompton Junction Funan, do we only arrive at the allocated time or can be there early?
only at your allocated time (the most also slightly earlier if they are in good mood).
athenodorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 04:41 PM   #6309
High Supremacy Member

Any recommendations for a Foldable bike around $500 that can tahan 105kg pui pui?
Old 26-02-2021, 10:06 PM   #6310
Master Member

I intend to ride a bike to nearby places like maybe 5 bus stops away (shopping centre, buy food...). Intend to buy a folding bike maybe 20 inch wheel, would I struggle/sweat/tired? What to look out for if I do not want to struggle? Is 6 Speed a must?

Folding bike maybe 20 inch wheel about $100 what is good?

Intend to put in void deck only, will it be stolen? What lock is good (prefer number lock)?

Folding bike more easier to handle than mountain bike correct? Mountain bike seems like bulkier harder to move/park and need more space when waiting at traffic lights?

Thanks

Last edited by super365; 26-02-2021 at 10:10 PM..
super365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 11:16 PM   #6311
Arch-Supremacy Member

I intend to ride a bike to nearby places like maybe 5 bus stops away (shopping centre, buy food...). Intend to buy a folding bike maybe 20 inch wheel, would I struggle/sweat/tired? What to look out for if I do not want to struggle? Is 6 Speed a must?

Folding bike maybe 20 inch wheel about $100 what is good?

Intend to put in void deck only, will it be stolen? What lock is good (prefer number lock)?

Folding bike more easier to handle than mountain bike correct? Mountain bike seems like bulkier harder to move/park and need more space when waiting at traffic lights?

Thanks
U buy bmx then

Posted from PCWX using SM-G970F
rarenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #6312
Master Member

1. Above picture, is this front and back suspension useful to be more comfortable or is it just gimmick slight improvement in comfort?
2. How often need to change a new suspension? Are the suspension free size can it replace with any 3rd party suspension or must only use back the same brand same model?
3. How to maintain suspension?
4. Seat suspension more important than front wheel suspension correct?
5. What is the difference of the these 2 suspension in the 2 different bike photo below? They are at different position. One position is more horizontal will it more ineffective?
Thanks.

Last edited by super365; 27-02-2021 at 11:00 AM..
Old 27-02-2021, 12:35 PM   #6313

I have forwarded Polygon's response to Rodalink and requested for replacement of the tyres to the correct one, or appropriate price reduction, or full refund. Lets see how it goes bah.
Just an update on the outcome. Rodalink only offered a full refund. I declined since the rest of the bike was fine.

But now, I want to bring my bicycle down to tune the gears but their hotline never works. They installed a braze-on front derailleur without the support plate too.

Just disappointed with Rodalink, if given the choice to refund again, I should have went for it. What a ****ing joke.
yuweiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 01:20 PM   #6314
Arch-Supremacy Member

Don't suspension bike requires more effort to cycle?
allanzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 07:50 PM   #6315
Master Member

For the bike I posted above, can the seatpost be changed to longer seatpost to become taller?

These seat post able to fit into the bike I posted?
https://shopee.sg/-READY-STOCK-litep...193.5644799623
https://shopee.sg/Bike-Suspension-Tr...780.6520788746Ss

Last edited by super365; 27-02-2021 at 07:56 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.