HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #2311

Anyone seen this?

At this price it's in custom knife territory.... A bit ridiculous actually. Click to see.
Lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #2312

At this price it's in custom knife territory.... A bit ridiculous actually. Click to see.
Yea..actually i can get TWO nice custom fixed blades for that price.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:43 AM   #2313
Master Member

hi guys, do you know if the blade can still be repaired if its like this? lent it to my friend for a scout camp but she messed up the blade pretty badly

holychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #2314

hi guys, do you know if the blade can still be repaired if its like this? lent it to my friend for a scout camp but she messed up the blade pretty badly

I think a view of the other side of the blade would be useful too. Worst case scenario is to sharpen all the serrations off. I've done this before using a Dremel and holding the knife in a vise.

Last edited by Lonerider; 08-09-2011 at 10:01 AM..
Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #2315
Storm Trooper

just got my spyderco ladybug from amazon--> com gateway. No problems with customs or com gateway. But the knife is really small! Total price like 45sgd plus shipping.

Not as sharp as expected so probably going to do some sandpaper sharpening. Should have bought the spyderco sharp maker too.
diarrhoea.chia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #2316

just got my spyderco ladybug from amazon--> com gateway. No problems with customs or com gateway. But the knife is really small! Total price like 45sgd plus shipping.

Not as sharp as expected so probably going to do some sandpaper sharpening. Should have bought the spyderco sharp maker too.
Really? That's a first for me. All my Spydercos have been shaving sharp but I guess these things happen. Honestly you could probably get it cheaper on eBay as I noticed ComGateway's shipping is more for heavier stuff. Regardless, enjoy the knife, Ladybugs are good starter knives. I bought a purple one for my friend and she's hooked on them and is now trying to collect the whole series; there are many models. I think of Ladybugs and Delicas as gateway knives (like gateway drugs)... You try them once thinking it's OK, only to get hooked for life. Rehab is painful...
Old 08-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #2317

Wow thats pretty bad..if i were you i'll take it to an extra coarse stone and grind the serrations off..and make it plain edge, which i prefer anyway hahahaha
Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #2318
Master Member

Wow thats pretty bad..if i were you i'll take it to an extra coarse stone and grind the serrations off..and make it plain edge, which i prefer anyway hahahaha
is there anyway to keep the serrations? it gets kinda helpful when removing bark from tree branches

I think a view of the other side of the blade would be useful too. Worst case scenario is to sharpen all the serrations off. I've done this before using a Dremel and holding the knife in a vise.
the other side looks about the same too though.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #2319
Master Member

is there anyway to keep the serrations? it gets kinda helpful when removing bark from tree branches

But why are you removing tree bark? If it's on a twig, you can just push cut with a sharp plain edge instead of using a sawing motion. And bark is pretty easy to peel off anyway. I hope you are not removing alot of bark from a live tree though.. it'll kill it.

Back to the knife, it's looks like that area is a plain edge that chip? Maybe can grind it off with a dremel and give it a slight recurve? It's not gonne be easy to freehand without going the entire cutting edge of the knife though..
Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #2320
Banned

I like switchblades and ballistic knives.

Too bad they're illegal.

Anyway, aren't those folding knives illegal too? They look like they're meant for killing people.
Ribbons_almark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #2321
Master Member

Too bad they're illegal.

Anyway, aren't those folding knives illegal too? They look like they're meant for killing people.
As illegal as your kitchen knives as long as they're not automatic or assisted. HTH
Old 08-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #2322

If you have a Dremel you can cut serrations with a carbide burr. I have no other idea how you could pull it off. Unless you have the steady hands of a surgeon and the precision of an industrial robot I suggest just using a sharpening stone to turn it into a plain edge. The plus point is the steel on Victorinox knives are really easy to sharpen so it'll likely be a 15-20 minutes tops if you use a cheap combination stone.

I don't know how you use serrations to remove bark... I just came home from fishing and used my plain edged Delica to remove bark from a thin branch and whittled a point on it, used it as an improvised rod stand. Seems to work just fine. In case anyone was wondering... I came home empty handed, caught 3 huge terrapins... after the third one you kind of get the message it is time to move on. LOL

FWIW it is a user knife. Don't be too hard on your friend.

A tip... When I remove bark from small branches and twigs I use the unsharpened side of the blade (the spine). Of course this works only on fixed blades and locking folders. It's best if it has a very thin and/ or squared spine. This way I keep the edge on my blade longer.

Last edited by Lonerider; 08-09-2011 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: ETA
Old 08-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #2323

Too bad they're illegal.

Don't believe everything that you see in the you see in the movies. If knives were very effective at killing people, guns and other methods of killing would never have been invented. When people get killed it is inevitably kitchen knives that was used. Unfortunately every household has one of those. For that matter when was the last time you heard a soldier killing someone with his bayonet or knife?

I remember watching Rambo grabbing a man from behind and slitting his throat in the movies... Nope those things don't happen much either. Breaking a grown man's neck with a simple twist, slicing a man in half with an energy sword (think Jedi knights!)... well you get the message.

Thing is we grew up watching these movies and they conditioned us to think people buy "these kind of knives" to kill people when it couldn't be further from the truth. In honest truth I'm used to people reacting that way when they see my collection... "What are you planning to do, kill someone?" LOL
Old 08-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #2324
Master Member

But why are you removing tree bark? If it's on a twig, you can just push cut with a sharp plain edge instead of using a sawing motion. And bark is pretty easy to peel off anyway. I hope you are not removing alot of bark from a live tree though.. it'll kill it.

Back to the knife, it's looks like that area is a plain edge that chip? Maybe can grind it off with a dremel and give it a slight recurve? It's not gonne be easy to freehand without going the entire cutting edge of the knife though..
well, its the branches, bigger than twigs, i am in a cca that do backwoodsman cooking and thus the need to remove the barks from the fallen branches.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #2325
Banned

Don't believe everything that you see in the you see in the movies. If knives were very effective at killing people, guns and other methods of killing would never have been invented. When people get killed it is inevitably kitchen knives that was used. Unfortunately every household has one of those. For that matter when was the last time you heard a soldier killing someone with his bayonet or knife?

I remember watching Rambo grabbing a man from behind and slitting his throat in the movies... Nope those things don't happen much either. Breaking a grown man's neck with a simple twist, slicing a man in half with an energy sword (think Jedi knights!)... well you get the message.

Thing is we grew up watching these movies and they conditioned us to think people buy "these kind of knives" to kill people when it couldn't be further from the truth. In honest truth I'm used to people reacting that way when they see my collection... "What are you planning to do, kill someone?" LOL
Well, a small folding knife with a sharp blade could be seen as a concealed weapon. I don't think you can drive to JB with that in your car.

where do you people get your knives? online?
Ribbons_almark is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.