HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #2476

Sheares is at Selegie road now. Pretty near sim lim. From my experience, if you go there see see only, they will probably bo chap attitude.
Frozenboiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #2477

Sheares is at Selegie road now. Pretty near sim lim. From my experience, if you go there see see only, they will probably bo chap attitude.
Not all the staff are bad... some are pretty OK guys.
The way I see it is some of them have this mentality that if you go in wearing bermudas and flip-flops you're just browsing and probably aren't willing to spend at the prices they are selling. That and I've seen one staff in particular (a few years back) with a "couch commando" attitude. You know the type; wears BDU pants, drop-leg pouch with his iPhone in it and feels the need to tell everyone he meets that he has been there and done that.

Let's face it, almost every adult male in Singapore have handled a weapon during their NS. I go into a shop to shop, not to prove my manhood to anyone.

Above all else there are a few other reasons I do not shop there much. From a knife collectors perspective... most of the staff do not know much about knives. The selection of knives they stock are mediocre at best but that's probably due to the small knife buying market in Singapore. And because they claim they are "the only company authorised to import knives into Singapore" they feel their prices are justified. Let's face it, with the economic outlook we are all price sensitive but there's a fine line between covering overheads and gouging a customer.

My advice is simple... buy from them if there are no other options or if you need an item urgently. With the good SGD-USD rate right now it makes more sense to buy online. The custom issues isn't as bad as most new collectors think. Out of ten knives I probably get called down for collection maybe once. Those are pretty good odds I think; better than wagering your money on horses.

Aside from knives, they are the only authorised distributor for SI Oakleys and their prices are really good so I have bought from them but no, not knives. Maybe someone else have had a more positive experience with them but I have not.

Do share if you have had a good experience at Sheares recently. I sometimes wonder if I should drop by for a vist just to see if the service and range have improved.

Last edited by Lonerider; 23-12-2011 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Grammar and spelling.
Lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #2478

best place to gain more knowledge on knives are on forums
Old 23-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #2479

Difference between a good knife and a cheaper knife...

This is for a new knife collectors and users...

I read an article a few years back on knife buying tips so I'll paraphrase a bit from that article.

What's the difference between a $20 knife and a sub-$100 knife? They both cut obviously so why should you cough up the extra $20 more for something that basically functions the same? When you spend a bit more what you get is likely to be better quality.

At say $50, you know what steel is being used for the blade. The term "surgical steel" or "400 series" means nothing. Surgical blades aren't built for repeated use and 400 series may mean 420J which is the same stuff used to make forks and spoons or 440C which is a good knife making steel. Both of them will cut but the 440C is superior. It stays sharp longer, it will be easier to sharpen and you can get a finer edge on it. There have even been knives made from "pot metal"; literally the stuff they use for making pots and pans. If you don't know what it's made off my usual advice is don't buy it. The only "mystery steel" I actually like is from Victorinox.

At $50 you are also likely to have a stronger locking mechanism and will likely have very little play when it locks up. Trust me, if you carry, play with and use knives long enough you will have a lock fail on you. It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN. That's why New Graham ship their knives out with band-aids.

At $50 you also get warranty... I've had CRKTs, Benchmades, Spydercos and Kershaws. Every single one of these companies will honour their warranty. Most will provide a lifetime warranty service and will refurbish or even replace your knife for a new one if it fails. Benchmade warranties are tricky though so buyers beware.

When you go up higher in the price ladder... say $100, you get even better quality steel but not much else. At around $200 you have a chance of buying something with good resale value and might make a good investment. Yes, knives can make good investments if you buy smart. Overall most of my collection have gained around 20-40% in worth despite the weak USD. Try getting that from a fix-deposit account. Be mindful though, buying for investment will suck the joy out of collecting.

To conclude, any hobby should be just that; a hobby. Don't let it take over your life. A Buddhist monk once told me not to let material possessions own me. I'm not a Buddhist but I know a good advice when I hear one.

Last edited by Lonerider; 23-12-2011 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: Typo...
Old 23-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #2480

best place to gain more knowledge on knives are on forums
Nah, the best way is to buy and use... experience it yourself and learn what you like or dislike about the model. Forums are great but what one person likes may not apply to everyone.
Old 23-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #2481
Great Supremacy Member

awesome ****s!!!

damn smooth sia

Xperia XZP
PC> Geek Pulse fi > DT 990 Pro
chesterqw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #2482
Great Supremacy Member

Not all the staff are bad... some are pretty OK guys.
The way I see it is some of them have this mentality that if you go in wearing bermudas and flip-flops you're just browsing and probably aren't willing to spend at the prices they are selling. That and I've seen one staff in particular (a few years back) with a "couch commando" attitude. You know the type; wears BDU pants, drop-leg pouch with his iPhone in it and feels the need to tell everyone he meets that he has been there and done that.

Let's face it, almost every adult male in Singapore have handled a weapon during their NS. I go into a shop to shop, not to prove my manhood to anyone.

Above all else there are a few other reasons I do not shop there much. From a knife collectors perspective... most of the staff do not know much about knives. The selection of knives they stock are mediocre at best but that's probably due to the small knife buying market in Singapore. And because they claim they are "the only company authorised to import knives into Singapore" they feel their prices are justified. Let's face it, with the economic outlook we are all price sensitive but there's a fine line between covering overheads and gouging a customer.

My advice is simple... buy from them if there are no other options or if you need an item urgently. With the good SGD-USD rate right now it makes more sense to buy online. The custom issues isn't as bad as most new collectors think. Out of ten knives I probably get called down for collection maybe once. Those are pretty good odds I think; better than wagering your money on horses.

Aside from knives, they are the only authorised distributor for SI Oakleys and their prices are really good so I have bought from them but no, not knives. Maybe someone else have had a more positive experience with them but I have not.

Do share if you have had a good experience at Sheares recently. I sometimes wonder if I should drop by for a vist just to see if the service and range have improved.
nicely said XD

Xperia XZP
PC> Geek Pulse fi > DT 990 Pro
chesterqw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #2483

Of course its a good way to learn through experience, but you can save alot of time and may even learn more things from others' experience, which can be found in forums.
Yes, everyone has different preferences, but others can give you advice. just my 2 cents
Old 23-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #2484

has anyone been in a situation whereby you bought a knife whereby u tot it is legal but the AE claimed it is not or similar situations like this, will you kena fine?

wat will happen?
kolomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #2485

No, they won't fine. They'll confiscate the item though
Old 25-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #2486

Tsk Tsk... why no one post this ah??

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL THE SG KNIFE PEOPLE!!!!
Old 25-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #2487
Arch-Supremacy Member

how much??? i wanna buy this for fishing
Old 26-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #2488

No, they won't fine. They'll confiscate the item though
okok. thanks

how much??? i wanna buy this for fishing
USD 300 retail price. Limited quantity.... so now the resale price shld be more.

lets hope kershaw will put the KVT into production *fingers crossed*
kolomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 01:58 AM   #2489
Banned

These are all legal, with license ah?

ten_david197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 02:11 AM   #2490

These are all legal, with license ah?

All are legal. Some need license to be legal. Some don't. Christmas over..
slayergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.