EDMW Knife Collectors

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
vics make great gifts. but no more for me, no $$ and I have my trusty explorer already. thanks for the tip sojourn88.

sojourn88

Reaction score
Alternative is Tuffglide Marine (you can find it at specialty hardware shops) but I'm not sure if it's food safe.

i using tufglide from sentry solutions due to its dry non greasy nature..but its expensive as not available in singapore or hard to find. so need to ship it from US.

lostLore85

Reaction score
check out BHG (former seiyu) at bugis, theres is a victorinox counter on level 2. the other day was having big sale at 20% off very tempted to get the alox versions.

another one at Hock Gift Shop hockgiftshop.com which has a wide selection, including some limited editions. i think all victorinox are controlled prices, as the price at Hock is same as BHG. Wait for the occasional sale if you dont mind waiting and paying less.

recently there q0010 site also selling what looks like a victorinox, at ridiculous prices... but on asking, the seller replied that it is oem, not authentic.. althought the photo show clearly the trademark victorinox shield.

Thanks for e reply. Have u guys seen e pics of e Wenger ap blaze? Looks interesting to me.

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
Wd40 makes a great cleaner but not for storage and lubrication as its a water displacer. it supposedly is fish oil with kerosense (or some other mineral spirit) as a carrier.. when it dries up, the oil is very sticky. I normally just wipe with Isoproply alcohol (the industrial grade one cost 11 bucks for a gallon from masterpro) instead, unless I wash my knife with soapy water, then I would follow uo with a quick soak by giving it a good spray with wd40 before wiping it off clean and doing a final wipe down and lubing with something else.

Btw Johnsons baby oil is also mineral oil with fragrance and a touch of paraffin.. Cheap, food safe and readily available.. I use that for wiping and even lubrication of my folders. For storage, it best to use tuff glide or any of those that leaves a dry film layer of protectant.

I find there is a need to do more frequent re oiling with mineral oil than with tuff glide/nano oil.

Btw Which hardware store can tufglide be found? I've never seen any so far from the larger hardware shops.. Been looking for it to top off my tuff cloth but only manage to find mineral spirits to refresh the wetness and my current supply is running low.

Last edited:

slackjam

Reaction score
Hi thanks to all giving great advices! I'll go down to ikea for the mineral oil den! But ya so regarding storing within the sheaths, it is alright?

Cos I rem reading abt somewhere that it is not recommended for long term storage?

alantcy

Reaction score
Hi thanks to all giving great advices! I'll go down to ikea for the mineral oil den! But ya so regarding storing within the sheaths, it is alright?

Cos I rem reading abt somewhere that it is not recommended for long term storage?

the stale air keeping ur knife inside the sheath long term will stain so u need to check and oil periodically.
due to nature of tight fit, some sheaths (esp. kydex) tend to scratch blade finishes, so if ur fixed blade is a collector piece, it wouldn't be a good idea to remove the knife in and out of the sheath too many times during its lifetime.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
...But ya so regarding storing within the sheaths, it is alright?

I think you missed my earlier comments:

re: long term storage in leather sheaths - yes, avoid that. Treated leather has lots of chemicals/minerals in them that may cause corrosion, staining.

Long term storage in leather sheaths promote staining and corrosion. Also, you don't want to introduce unnecessary additional dirt/dust which stick to the protective oil on the blade surface into the sheath. ONce in, you can't get them out. If it's a user/stainless, then it's less an issue. In any case you should maintain your blades and inspect them from time to time.

i using tufglide from sentry solutions due to its dry non greasy nature..but its expensive as not available in singapore or hard to find. so need to ship it from US.

Btw Which hardware store can tufglide be found? I've never seen any so far from the larger hardware shops.. Been looking for it to top off my tuff cloth but only manage to find mineral spirits to refresh the wetness and my current supply is running low.

I've seen them at Sheares and the hardware shop at Shaw Building (where Isetan Scotts is...not sure if he's still there). If there are many people who want the tufglide, why not just do a group buy. I would recommend the marine tuffglide, rather than the ordinary tuffglide due to our 90% humidity. You can refresh the tuffglide by adding more drops of the solution (so you should buy both the pack and solution). Personally I use something else, which was recommended by a knifemaker....it has a nice fragrance but I forget the name - ah, I remember now Eezox (but it's not food safe). I'm getting some 6 slot knifepouches from BladeHQ later this month....so that's a thought:

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--All-Items--1--1--search=sentry+solutions

groupbuy? :D

Last edited:

alantcy

Reaction score
I have a big bottle still unopened.
Wouldn't mind sharing some with you guys if you wanna meet me at my place :)
One to two drops per blade goes a long way, imo Marine version overkill and too strong a smell.
I threw a cloth version away previously cos it gunk up inside the ziploc bag.

sojourn88

Reaction score
the stale air keeping ur knife inside the sheath long term will stain so u need to check and oil periodically.
due to nature of tight fit, some sheaths (esp. kydex) tend to scratch blade finishes, so if ur fixed blade is a collector piece, it wouldn't be a good idea to remove the knife in and out of the sheath too many times during its lifetime.

yes,, it is right,,never store knife in leather sheath..the leather has a lot of chemicals, acids, during its tanning process, and will harm the blade, even if stainless. if you are using a nylon shealth then it probably is ok, thats the trouble with fixed blade...need to unsheath to store it.. and it could be dangerous with a bare blade right in the drawer.

maybe one method is to use oil then put in a paper cardboard sheath..like when it is delivered to you when you bought it...

incidentally... Aogami Super Blue Steel which Spyderco is using...quoted from the spy site:"Hitachi creates and offers different grades of steels including white steels and blue steels. The steel isn't blue or white but the designation refers to the color of the paper the raw steel is wrapped in when delivered to Hitachi. It is common practice for Japanese steels to be named and referred to; based on what colored packaging the raw steel arrives to the maker. "

Now i wonder if the blue paper are wax or oiled paper?
any idea?

killstreak7

Reaction score
guys i just got a benchmade contego and found that it has slight side to side blade play even though ive tighten it down. can suggest anything to stop it?

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Terzuola Starmate is a classic. The new one however has slightly different lines from the original - the swedge is different and it has full stainless liners. The original had either a in-layed ti/steel liner. The new one has VG10 and the original had CPM440V steel. I wouldn't trade the old for the new but be prepared to pay more than twice the price of the new ones for the old skool original.

sojourn88

Reaction score
Yes, the original starmate is collector stuff...
The original Terzuola inlaid badge is cool! too bad they didnt include it in the new version
B20BF16A-AFB5-4274-B171-376BB252F943-14203-0000173CF70608AA.jpg

for a side by side comparison check here if keen: Spyderco Starmate: Old Vs New

alantcy

Reaction score
Happened to pass by Black-Tactical last week and saw this for sale.
Not sure how much though.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes, the original starmate is collector stuff...
The original Terzuola inlaid badge is cool! too bad they didnt include it in the new version
B20BF16A-AFB5-4274-B171-376BB252F943-14203-0000173CF70608AA.jpg

for a side by side comparison check here if keen: Spyderco Starmate: Old Vs New

well, the one in your pic looks great. Make sure you hang on to it. It's a one for dinner stories. At one time people were paying almost USD400 for it (and that was when the USD was like 1USD:1.7SGD (if you were collecting then, lol).

slackjam

Reaction score
Ops sry, thanks vespa n alan for advice for storage in sheaths...I missed it out cos of the reference to leather sheaths...lolx...mine was kydex sheath, hence mind lock myself...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.