HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #3001
Great Supremacy Member

Department stores - Isetan, Takashimaya etc. Kyocera is the most well known brand.

I doubt it can cut bone. Never tried.
cannot cos it is brittle and will break on impact.

cut bone best chinese cleaver. cheap and effective.
chesterqw likes this.
Old 17-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #3002

The SAK Victorinox Huntsman in hardwood:

sojourn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #3003

What a tease! C'mon show la!
For all you flipper fans... The Hinderer XM-24 Spanto Flipper...

vinn and Sonic69 like this.
nilfire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #3004
Great Supremacy Member

where can get ceramic knife?Is ceramic knife strong enough to cut bone?
i dunno if you can find liao but i bought a forever ceramic folder

cannot cut bone lar sadly.
all ceramic knife is brittle. the edge will ding if you hit something hard.

but for slicing it is FARKING BRILLIANT.

and ya, no need to sharpen for quite long unless you are an expert in making things spoil.

Xperia XZP
PC> Geek Pulse fi > DT 990 Pro

Last edited by chesterqw; 17-12-2012 at 09:56 AM..
chesterqw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #3005

For all you flipper fans... The Hinderer XM-24 Spanto Flipper...

you must have special connections with Hinderer to score that directly - congrats! Is that a 24 or 18? I'm not sure if the steel designation logo is to my taste yet....I like them more subtle.
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #3006
Great Supremacy Member

i collect only kitchen knives. can use regularly sibei song.

this yr bought 2 in japan. one machine made (cheaper, sub $100) and one hand made (expensive). the hand made one bloody sharp cut onions and garlic almost no sound. i get the maker to inscribe my chinese name on it.

accidentally cut myself 2 days ago without noticing. the knife lying on the chopping board my hand touch only kena one cut. see the blood on the garlic then realised. i sharpen them once a month usually. just a few quick swipes. the hand made knife sharpened by the shop and no need sharpening till now. my maid dun dare to use it as it is too sharp.
Old 17-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #3007

you must have special connections with Hinderer to score that directly - congrats! Is that a 24 or 18? I'm not sure if the steel designation logo is to my taste yet....I like them more subtle.
LOL nope I don't have any special relations with Rick.. I just happened to chance upon this XM-24 at bladeforums exchange.. Before this, I actually had an opportunity to snare the older version XM-24(i.e just the plain jane S35VN engraving), but because I already had the sterile blades (both 20CV) on my XM-18s, so I wanted something different this time round.
Old 17-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #3008

Great knife nilfire77!!! One of my grail knives.
Sonic69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #3009

Was just telling another BM recently that my taste seems to be moving into the smaller (3") EDCs.
Old 17-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #3010

I'm bored at home so here's a couple of First Impressions about my recent shipment from Knifecenter.

(also to boost my Post count towards that damned 100 before I can start posting pix. albeit crappy ones)
Old 17-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #3011

First up is the Kershaw Zing!

All stainless scales and framelock design with a black plastic back spacer. Yup, first impression was that this is certainly an Entry Level knife from Kershaw. There was something 'crooked' about the knife. The front and back scales doesn't quite line up symmetrically with the space. The front scale is marginally lower than the back. It is not obvious but can be noticed with the naked eye upon inspection. Also, the blade did not come centred, which surprisingly annoyed me considerably (and here I thought I was a chin-chye kinda guy). A quick tweak with my new set of Torx drivers (#8) on the pivot screw quickly solved that problem.
The scales and blade came Satin finished which I like. There is a uniform look about the knife and a pleasing aesthetic quality. The metal scales are smooth but not slippery (just don't get any lubricant on them). I'm sure over time and use it will develop character (read 'dings') that will be glaringly obvious, but this knife was bought as a user and at this price point I'm not going to resist abusing it.
The blade is 8Cr13MoV (same as my Spyderco Tenacious) but unlike the Spydie, it did not come razor sharp from the factory. It was only so so. A quick sharpen on my new Naniwa Super Stone 1000 grit quickly highlighted an interesting thing - the blade was sharpened at greater than 25 degree angle of incidence. What?!!! I'm not in the mood to rectify this yet so I just finished it with my 3000 grit and stropped it with my DLT strop with Bark River White Compound (12k grit) for a mirror finish. It cuts ok now but I will have to go down to my 400 grit and reprofile the edge one day.
The flipper works a treat. This was a big factor for me buying this knife. I wanted to try out Kershaw/Zero Tolerance's SpeedSafe assisted opening. I can say definitively that I love it! The thumb studs aren't worth a damn however. The ergonomics are all wrong and they don't even act as the stop pin in the open position, so they are redundant like tits on a bull. I have been reluctant to buy an assisted knife without thumb studs before, but after the Zing, I'm open to it. The flipper and SpeedSafe are really nice!
Not much to say about it. Overall, I'm happy with the Zing for the price. After I reprofile the edge I'll see if it will cut as well as my Tenacious.
Old 18-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #3012

i collect only kitchen knives. can use regularly sibei song.

this yr bought 2 in japan. one machine made (cheaper, sub $100) and one hand made (expensive). the hand made one bloody sharp cut onions and garlic almost no sound. i get the maker to inscribe my chinese name on it.

accidentally cut myself 2 days ago without noticing. the knife lying on the chopping board my hand touch only kena one cut. see the blood on the garlic then realised. i sharpen them once a month usually. just a few quick swipes. the hand made knife sharpened by the shop and no need sharpening till now. my maid dun dare to use it as it is too sharp.
I love reading this. I haven't been able to get knives too scary sharp yet. Need to hone the sharpening fu more

Last edited by vespaguy; 18-12-2012 at 01:34 PM..
Old 18-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #3013

Nice! The steel used also plays a part
Old 19-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #3014

the only knife I've taken extra caution when handling was a huge 12 inch chopper with a really scary sharp edge (the weight made it extra lethal as if it rested on your flesh, there would be a fair bit of pressure that could break skin). That blade did do nice clean cuts on branches
Old 20-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #3015

Great knife nilfire77!!! One of my grail knives.
Thanks bro! Mind telling us what are your other grail knives?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.