IMG_2703ke.jpg

SRM 939, 913P

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
im considering between 2 knives, maybe you guys can give me some ideas

$(KGrHqJHJEUFHWUbHBRHBR+GRskYE!~~60_12.JPG

and

$_12.JPG

$29 vs $39 sgd. i like the first one because it looks slimmer and the serrated thingy. like the second one because look more cool :D

i also checked the china ones, dont look as good leh

Get the kershaw. No doubts on that.
Reasons for not getting the gerber
1) a Bear Grylls knife is plain ********.
2) it has serration. Please go back 1 or 2 pages on this thread and read what vespaguy said about serrations. The serrations are probably good enough for cutting your own throat for the stupidity of getting it, nothing else. :D
3) that kershaw does look pretty badass.

And you need to know how to find the proper Chinese knock offs. Go alibaba and search Rick hinderer or strider knives. Then go and find the originals. Be shocked and report back to EDMW Knife Collectors thread. :D

If you want a sleek knife that is popular and widely recommended, get a kershaw skyline. It's probably US$19 if you know how to spend some time googling. Otherwise, spend a little more and get a nice little benchmade mini griptilian. Can't go wrong with either. :)

magnus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i got the GERBER-BEAR-GRYLLS one. quality abit below my expectation. In terms of blade material and built quality. but of course we can't expect too much for that price range.

im considering between 2 knives, maybe you guys can give me some ideas

$(KGrHqJHJEUFHWUbHBRHBR+GRskYE!~~60_12.JPG

$29 vs $39 sgd. i like the first one because it looks slimmer and the serrated thingy. like the second one because look more cool :D

i also checked the china ones, dont look as good leh

Last edited:

xinping

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2) it has serration. Please go back 1 or 2 pages on this thread and read what vespaguy said about serrations. The serrations are probably good enough for cutting your own throat for the stupidity of getting it, nothing else. :D

And you need to know how to find the proper Chinese knock offs. Go alibaba and search Rick hinderer or strider knives. Then go and find the originals. Be shocked and report back to EDMW Knife Collectors thread. :D

If you want a sleek knife that is popular and widely recommended, get a kershaw skyline. It's probably US$19 if you know how to spend some time googling. Otherwise, spend a little more and get a nice little benchmade mini griptilian. Can't go wrong with either. :)
i like rick hinderer, but the price is OMG =\

kewshaw skyline looks good, but no appealing enough. benchmade mini griptilian is expensive.

i admit, im fickle minded.

now i saw this

http://www.exduct.com/chinese-foldi...enlan-bee-m03bk-liner-lock-folding-knife.html

Last edited:

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
i like rick hinderer, but the price is OMG =\

kewshaw skyline looks good, but no appealing enough. benchmade mini griptilian is expensive.

i admit, im fickle minded.

now i saw this

Bee & Enlan Knives : Enlan Bee M03BK Liner Lock black 8Cr13MoV Blade Textured stainless steel Handle Camping Fishing EDC Folding Knife

Hmm, maybe try a sanrenmu 710? Only US$9.90 shipped. I have one, insane build quality for that price.

And a Chinese hinderer is cheap. Probably US$20 or so on alibaba. But i cannot vouch for the quality though...

We all are fickle minded, not just you! I think the enlan bee line would suit you pretty well.

xinping

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe try a sanrenmu 710? Only US$9.90 shipped. I have one, insane build quality for that price.

And a Chinese hinderer is cheap. Probably US$20 or so on alibaba. But i cannot vouch for the quality though...

We all are fickle minded, not just you! I think the enlan bee line would suit you pretty well.
i cant really find rick hinderer on alibaba leh. what are the key words?

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
Don't buy copies, unless for study. You wouldn't buy a fake Audi or iPad would you? :)

I have a hinderer for sale, hit me up if you're interested...

I think it wouldn't hurt to get a copy. Well, at least not for that price. For me at least, it would deter me from getting the real deal!

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
copy/fake/replica vs genuine/real thing. It's about ethics/morals, but it's a personal position. When I was younger, I bought a fake watch too. I wanted something I couldn't afford/wasn't willing to pay. After wearing it for a couple of days, I felt cheap. If I can't afford/am not willing, why pretend? So what if it was cool and everyone wears one...

when I got a bit older, I had more and more exposure to issues of IP theft, business ethics and morals. I learnt about inventions, IP ownership and having business ethics and how each one of us must make our own minds as to what we want to be ....

some of the copy/fakes are real close to the original, but even if it was 100% identical, it still isn't the real thing. we're not talking about look and feel, or even performance, but the essence of the real thing ....

anyways =:p, I have handled the china hinderer (the ones made by Kevin John), they are good, very good in fact, but still not 100% identical in look, feel, fit and function (at least comparing the best Kevin John makes vs. HInderer handground customs). On the one I handled, the pivot wasn't machined to the kind of tolerances that Rick's has, and neither were the hardware. It's 15% of the price though :s13:

Last edited:

magnus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
waiting patiently for my 1st Spyderco knife:o

btw why some the blade got the Spyderco logo while some dun have? even for the same model/series.

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
copy/fake/replica vs genuine/real thing. It's about ethics/morals, but it's a personal position. When I was younger, I bought a fake watch too. I wanted something I couldn't afford/wasn't willing to pay. After wearing it for a couple of days, I felt cheap. If I can't afford/am not willing, why pretend? So what if it was cool and everyone wears one...

when I got a bit older, I had more and more exposure to issues of IP theft, business ethics and morals. I learnt about inventions, IP ownership and having business ethics and how each one of us must make our own minds as to what we want to be ....

some of the copy/fakes are real close to the original, but even if it was 100% identical, it still isn't the real thing. we're not talking about look and feel, or even performance, but the essence of the real thing ....

anyways =:p, I have handled the china hinderer (the ones made by Kevin John), they are good, very good in fact, but still not 100% identical in look, feel, fit and function (at least comparing the best Kevin John makes vs. HInderer handground customs). On the one I handled, the pivot wasn't machined to the kind of tolerances that Rick's has, and neither were the hardware. It's 15% of the price though :s13:

Yeap, understandable on the ethics thing. I recently bought some copies of non-knife items not because i can't pay the full price, it's just that I needed it to get stuffs done. In the long run, I'll still fork out that same amount for the genuine one if required.

But man, the Chris Reeves Arc Lock is tempting...

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeap, understandable on the ethics thing. I recently bought some copies of non-knife items not because i can't pay the full price, it's just that I needed it to get stuffs done. In the long run, I'll still fork out that same amount for the genuine one if required.

But man, the Chris Reeves Arc Lock is tempting...

yes, they are certainly tempting. I have seen many contractors use cheap china tools. they break/get damage/stop working very quickly. I don't need clutter and more waste in my life. it's better to save up and buy one good item for it to last longer. Of course, sometimes we have to do the best we can within our means....I understand that too.

I'm feeling lazy today...might stay in. Sigma, post some pics of your cool toys, projects something =:p

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
yes, they are certainly tempting. I have seen many contractors use cheap china tools. they break/get damage/stop working very quickly. I don't need clutter and more waste in my life. it's better to save up and buy one good item for it to last longer. Of course, sometimes we have to do the best we can within our means....I understand that too.

I'm feeling lazy today...might stay in. Sigma, post some pics of your cool toys, projects something =:p

HAHAHA. A poor boy like me where got cool toys like a RICK HINDERER XM-18? I think someone have one on sale, hor vespaguy? :D

I do have a few projects on going. Just rushed one out few days back. Gonna try posting pics. :)

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
HAHAHA. A poor boy like me where got cool toys like a RICK HINDERER XM-18? I think someone have one on sale, hor vespaguy? :D

I do have a few projects on going. Just rushed one out few days back. Gonna try posting pics. :)

wasn't referring to hinderers or folders =:p, I thought you were working on beads and stuff...

Inefficient

Reaction score

Sigmazxcs, can you tell me where did you find the skyline at usd $19?
ebay shows at about $40 ish.

googled abit then got poisned by the limited brown version.:s22:
jNNAC.jpg

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
wasn't referring to hinderers or folders =:p, I thought you were working on beads and stuff...

Ahh. Beads. I made a brass bead already. Looks pretty good for a start. :) I tried to make another one for tritium, 6 trits. Didn't turn out so well, so I scrapped it. Gonna try again soon! :)
Most major one was a paracord bracelet. It had moonglow inserts. :D

Sigmazxcs

Reaction score
Sigmazxcs, can you tell me where did you find the skyline at usd $19?
ebay shows at about $40 ish.

googled abit then got poisned by the limited brown version.:s22:
jNNAC.jpg

You might wanna try googling for "kershawguy". :) I got my kershaw shallot from him. Real cheap bro.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
does Dave (kershawguy) ship overseas now? he takes paypal? I've bought from him previously but I had to get it shipped to a friend in the US.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.