HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #3721

Yes agreed. Few days back this lady was harassed by a drunkard and got 'rejected' by the 999 responder. in her Facebook post she said if she had a gun she would be able to defend herself. Seems like we might have a discussion about the issue.

Meanwhile, naise toy you got there sigma, seems like you've been busy in your absence
Busy is an understatement bro! Okay la, not quite. Just happily waiting the debate going on between worcer, vespaguy and you. HAHAHAHA.

I guess the days ahead will spell busy like never before! Plenty of mod work to get down too, and I'll also be purchasing materials to make my own glow rings and lanyard beads soon! Maybe I'll send one to Vespaguy for free since he did help me quite a fair bit.
Sigmazxcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #3722

Hi guys,
A little update! Just had some time to sand off the DLC on my shallot again, so here's how she looks like now!

Bought some real expensive sand paper from home fix at $1.50 each. Expensive but really good quality. Abrades well without wearing out as fast as cheapo $0.30 sheets.
This was what I achieved in 30mins using their 150grit paper. Tomorrow I shall finish the under surface and polish up to 500grit. Maybe a little of 0000 steel wool before I put it to my stove!
And do you guys think this shallot will look nicer in bluish or bronze anodized frames? And satin or stonewashed finish?
vespaguy likes this.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #3723

abrasive paper -3M abrasive paper is good. Yes, the 50cent paper sucks. You get what you pay. If you want extremely fine grit for finishing, you can try hobby shops that deal with remote control toys/models/art shops.

finish - both satin (not too fine) and stonewash look good. I prefer stonewash for users to hide scratches and satin (if too fine a grit) may be slippery. Of course, you should do what YOU like

flame ano - stove top heat ano is quite hard to control. May I suggest that you buy a pocket butane torch / pen lighter (again, the art & craft shops or hobby shops or hardware shops would have them). This way you can have a smaller jet to control. You can also do the 'stripes' ala Strider. Spray some WD40 and flame away.

Looking forward to seeing your finished product .
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #3724

abrasive paper -3M abrasive paper is good. Yes, the 50cent paper sucks. You get what you pay. If you want extremely fine grit for finishing, you can try hobby shops that deal with remote control toys/models/art shops.

finish - both satin (not too fine) and stonewash look good. I prefer stonewash for users to hide scratches and satin (if too fine a grit) may be slippery. Of course, you should do what YOU like

flame ano - stove top heat ano is quite hard to control. May I suggest that you buy a pocket butane torch / pen lighter (again, the art & craft shops or hobby shops or hardware shops would have them). This way you can have a smaller jet to control. You can also do the 'stripes' ala Strider. Spray some WD40 and flame away.

Looking forward to seeing your finished product .
Hey bro! Great hearing from you!
I think I'll be doing a stonewashed finish on it. I was quite tempted to do satin because I feel so lazy to tumble the scale by hand! HAHAHAHA

And heat ano for me isn't an issue. My stove is a glass top induction stove. quite even heat distribution. I'll be testing the capabilities with a steel shackle tonight before I proceeded to do a full scale/ liner. If it works out well, I'll try it on my 710 liners immediately.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #3725

alantcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #3726

Benchmade 950-1

hi guys selling new in box Benchmade 950-1 rift black class.Never used never sharpened and in mint condition.Still have the box and whatever that came with it.Imported from benchmade in America.Price negotiable, i just want to sell at what i bought the knife at.Pm me to discuss further.
thanks
rambo9323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #3727

hi guys selling new in box Benchmade 950-1 rift black class.Never used never sharpened and in mint condition.Still have the box and whatever that came with it.Imported from benchmade in America.Price negotiable, i just want to sell at what i bought the knife at.Pm me to discuss further.
thanks
love that bladeshape. modified wharnies are the best for EDC
Old 12-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #3728

Hi guys,

So yesterday I decided to experiment a little. *
I bought some stainless steel shackles for my paracord bracelets. I rubbed it down with 70% alcohol to remove finger prints and dropped them on my stove. My stove is a Teka Induction stove, great electrical stove I think. *
It took like 20mins to get it to a golden bronze. So... I decided to take my 710 to the heat.*

I expected it to take a minute at least, considering the liners are quite thin. I was shocked when it smoked at 30secs and turned a burnished bronze real quick. I just dumped it into water to quench it. And here's the result.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #3729

But I do have a slight problem now... The pivot is extremely resistant and it just doesn't flip out at all. *
Any tips to fix this?*
Old 12-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #3730

HiSigma
how you do the anodising on the stove.. iam clueless about it. maybe u are able to organise workshop for some novices..on mod for knives.. something like workshop for airfix modelling..
will be cool...
sojourn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #3731

HiSigma
how you do the anodising on the stove.. iam clueless about it. maybe u are able to organise workshop for some novices..on mod for knives.. something like workshop for airfix modelling..
will be cool...
Hi sojourn88,

Don't say until I like so pro la. It's nothing much, really.
Here's the video from a guy who offers insane knife pumping services. Much of his works are top end Hinderers.
http://www.youtube.com/watchv=zXy1c2iqdHI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It takes a bit of trial an error, especially with gas stoves as it's hard to get an even heating. I have seen and heard of people using oven with great results, mainly because, like electric stoves, the heat distribution is even.
A general rule of thumb is that stainless 304 will start changing color at 290 degrees celcius in air. It will bronze at around 340 and blue at 450 and above. I've considered investing in an infrared gun to get more consistent results.

I don't think I can make a video as I am camera shy, but maybe a concise summary of what I did will be possible the next time I attempt this.

As of now, I'm more inclined towards using a gas stove as the heating curve is more predictable, unlike my electrical stove. I may consider using the oven in my school. That's 600 degrees of yummy heat.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #3732
Arch-Supremacy Member

U guys done heat treatment b4???

U must get the specs for the metal b4 knowing wat temp to heat it. Then create a enviroment to successfuly harden the knives...
worcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #3733

The first picture didn't look too good, thought it resembled rust. Then when I saw the closer ups I was amazed turned out quite well I'd say!
helisiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #3734

bump for the weekend

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ge...r-4280143.html

Chris Reeve, Rick Hinderer & Spyderco at your doorstep hand delivered to you on my Vespa, no less

Last edited by vespaguy; 13-07-2013 at 09:56 AM..
Old 13-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #3735
Supremacy Member

sidenote, where can I get this mini grinder machine? anyone SIC?

Donnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.