HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #3736

you can buy the bench grinder at hardware shops - try Eunos or Geylang etc, those that sell Makita Benchgrinders. China benchgrinders are cheap but you get China quality (sucks, that's the truth). The paper wheels you can get online. But the RPM is high, about 3000rpm. If you go to a motor workshop, they will all have one, you can ask them where they get the grinders from.

I prefer belt sander rather than bench grinder - still trying to convince someone to make something for me.
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #3737

you can buy the bench grinder at hardware shops - try Eunos or Geylang etc, those that sell Makita Benchgrinders. China benchgrinders are cheap but you get China quality (sucks, that's the truth). The paper wheels you can get online. But the RPM is high, about 3000rpm. If you go to a motor workshop, they will all have one, you can ask them where they get the grinders from.

I prefer belt sander rather than bench grinder - still trying to convince someone to make something for me.
Check out French Road around lavender. That area is famous for canvas and tarps, but I found some nifty shops that sell plenty of machining hardware. I also managed to purchase some of those stainless steel shackles I used, though I find it peculiar that I paid more than I would over at black tactical.
That aside, I'm pretty sure i saw some shops selling industrial machines like the grinder. A few streets down towards farrer park, you can find more professional shops selling higher end ones, even lathes and drills.
Sigmazxcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #3738
Supremacy Member

I prefer belt sander rather than bench grinder - still trying to convince someone to make something for me
y belt sander better to sharpen blade?
is it less prone to damaging blade cosmetic?

btw im more keen on a mini home bench grinder like in vid, not Huge industrial ones
Donnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #3739

Tonight's gonna be a good night. Hopefully I can finish sanding my shallot! I should be able to bring it to a brushed finishing at 800grit, and then off into the stonewash tumbler for 2 hours before I clean her up with alcohol for the anodizing. let's hope she turn out stunning.

I have a few more goodies to pick up over the week.
1) Moonglow and corian sheet
2) AG Russell's Ultimate Pen Knife titanium
3) Bradley Kimura style Bali-trainer.

I think I caught the Bali-bug now. I'm itching to get some balisongs without running foul of the law. But those trainer blades are so damn ugly. I mean, real damn ugly!
I'm considering getting a Bradley Kimura 6 and have the seller blunting the blade to a flat edge for me.
What you guys think?
Old 14-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #3740

Balisongs were great in the past before they invented locking mechanisms and one handed openers. As a tool, they are outdated. The law also prohibits the import of balisongs. Why go down that path? If one wants to not be harassed, one has to pick the path that steers clear of harassment. My 2 new Singapore cents. YMMV.

Looking forward to pics of your pimped Shallot.
prime10 likes this.
Old 15-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #3741

Hi all, just like to inform that there's a new dedicated place for Sg Knife Collectors.
Check out Sg.blades at: w11.zetaboards.com/Sg_blades/index/
vespaguy likes this.
prime10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #3742
Arch-Supremacy Member

Balisong... Hahhaha. When i saw a guy in pacific rim movie using a balisong i almost burst out laughing.
worcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #3743

Balisong... Hahhaha. When i saw a guy in pacific rim movie using a balisong i almost burst out laughing.
Was there? I don't recall leh! That aside, I have to agree that that was a smashing good show. Much better than iron man IMO.

And I emailed SPF already, an officer told me its restricted... But it baffles me, why would a $13 trainer be illegal compared to a $380 trainer of the same purpose? I really like the Bradley kimura style trainer... ;(
Old 15-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #3744

Was there? I don't recall leh! That aside, I have to agree that that was a smashing good show. Much better than iron man IMO.

And I emailed SPF already, an officer told me its restricted... But it baffles me, why would a $13 trainer be illegal compared to a $380 trainer of the same purpose? I really like the Bradley kimura style trainer... ;(
I don't think a trainer is illegal if it is clearly just a trainer (maye blue in colour and has an edge the same thickness as the spine?). I personally do not understand the fascination with balisongs...maybe I'm missing something. I understand how automatics have their uniqueness and utilitarian use (quick opening, say for rescue or work with gloves) but not balisongs.
Old 15-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #3745

Hi all, just like to inform that there's a new dedicated place for Sg Knife Collectors.
Check out Sg.blades at: w11.zetaboards.com/Sg_blades/index/
A dedicated edged tools forum is certainly overdue. Can you tell more about the forum? Who's running it? Who are the admin/moderators and the thinking behind it? I took a quick look....looks nice. Would be good if it could also have a marketplace / exchange / FS-FT forum.
Old 15-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #3746
Arch-Supremacy Member

Its Ron Perlman
worcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #3747

flipping balis is quite a skill and looks impressive, good for advertising your dexterity to the opposite sex hahaha.
Not very useful but really fun and can train hand eye coordination, much like my Kendama
helisiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #3748

Its Ron Perlman
Ah that maggot. HAHAHAHA! Died so unglamorously, no wonder I didn't remember.

And I've checked out the forum too, looks pretty neat. Quite a nice place to let all the locals to share. And I like their marketplace addition, can totally use it to fund more sharp toys next time. Signed up already, member #7!
Old 15-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #3749
Arch-Supremacy Member

ps ah if oot, anybody knows where i can find this in sg?
nakiri knife..almost like a cleaver but smaller
Old 16-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #3750

ps ah if oot, anybody knows where i can find this in sg?
nakiri knife..almost like a cleaver but smaller
most departmental stores now carry the Kai Shun series - try Takashimaya, Tangs, Isetan. If not, try TOTT at Bukit Timah Road.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.