HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #511
Master Member

Any butties buy from knife depot (http://www.knife-depot.com) before? Most pple in this thread suggest knife works but recently seem got problems with roger from cust serv and mistakes etc.
Knife works ok lah.. no big screw ups will happen.. anyway what you want to buy?
viix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #512

Knife works ok lah.. no big screw ups will happen.. anyway what you want to buy?
these from the Knife Depot:

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-128838.html

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-166075.html

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-166057.html

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-87365.html

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-87358.html

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-34647.html

Any advice rendered is appreciated.
Pedobear_BTSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #513
Master Member

Any advice rendered is appreciated.
AFAIK, all the knife sure cannot pass customs.. your throwing knife confirm cannot.. If you want, have to ask A&E if can even bring in.. surely need license and have it blunted one.. Ehem, all your choices is double edged leh.. 110% cannot one..

Your fixed blade I don't know if considered double edge, will have to ask the other collectors here on the serrated edge.

this one I'm sure immediately confiscate + fine as it is not legal
Old 03-04-2009, 12:47 AM   #514
Great Supremacy Member

i just asked CID A&E one month ago, survival knives are legal in singapore, they would stop the knives at custom if they detect and you will have to go down CID to collect them.
subject to their interpretation of survival knives .
Old 03-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #515

For the items i am interested in, i already sent CID A&E an email asking them what can buy what cannot buy liao. Now wait and see their response loh. I hope they dont go ask me go lim kopi leh or aw kong sho scary.
Pedobear_BTSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #516
Arch-Supremacy Member

[quote=Pedobear_BTSS;36856761]these from the Knife Depot:

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-128838.html

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-166075.html

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-166057.html

All these all cannot. Both sides of the blades are sharpened.

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-87365.html

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-87358.html

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-34647.html

The last one can. I have the Aitor one. But the first one looks like a bayonet ring on the guard. But should confirm the first hunting knife with A and E.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:26 AM   #517

For survival knives you might want to ask them whether the upper clip is sharpened. Some have false unsharpened swedges but there are some models like older KABARs that has a shapened clip. This short run of sharpened edge may still make it count as a double edged knife. What are you going to use the knife for?

On a side note... Just received my Spyderco Kris and Mini Manix. Also just bought a few more Victorinox knives. Will post the pics tomorrow. Damn handphone cam is useless at night. Everytime I plan to buy a proper cam I end up spending on more knives.

Not my pics...
Spyderco Kris
Ed Schempp design... Discontinued and getting veri difficult to find. Got lucki and found a collector numbered knife #187. This will go in the safe as a collector.

Spyderco Mini Manix Combo Edge this year with the BB lock. Would have preferred plain edge though. Serrations are a pain to sharpen.
Discontinued, a new version of this is coming out

Victorinox Farmer
Discontinued and getting difficult to find.. Managed to track down all 3 colours; red, blue and silver alox.

Next month I've a custom knife coming to me... My first ever custom! Sigh... Next month I may be eating grass liao.
Lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:04 AM   #518
Master Member

Spyderco Kris
Ed Schempp design... Discontinued and getting veri difficult to find. Got lucki and found a collector numbered knife #187. This will go in the safe as a collector.

Spyderco Mini Manix Combo Edge this year with the BB lock. Would have preferred plain edge though. Serrations are a pain to sharpen.
Discontinued, a new version of this is coming out

Victorinox Farmer
Discontinued and getting difficult to find.. Managed to track down all 3 colours; red, blue and silver alox.

Next month I've a custom knife coming to me... My first ever custom! Sigh... Next month I may be eating grass liao.
Nice! I like the kris's blade geometry! Must take pictures of your new arrivals! And even more curious about your custom!!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #519
Arch-Supremacy Member

I will be ordering ColdSteel Recon-1 soon.

Any Bros have thios knife? Care to comment ?

I have seen videos and reviews, but would like to hear from fellow collectors in SG about this knife.

THanks.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #520

My Spyderco Kris...

Pics as promised... Sorry for the poor quality. Wish I have a proper camera. Maybe one of the bros here can recommend me a decent one. Someone told me I need one with macro function. No idea what that means.

Back to the knife... Its larger and a lot heavier than I expected. Came razor sharp, I expected no less from a Spyderco. In fact I cut myself playing with it and din feel a thing. Really sharp knives tend to do that. I'd love to use it but the blade has all those recurves and sharpening them would be a nightmare. Blade is VG10 and handle is black micarta. Very slick stuff but it looks really good. Pics dun do this knife justice. Locks like a bank vault. No blade play whatsoever and blade is centred perfectly.

Last edited by Lonerider; 04-04-2009 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Add details
Old 04-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #521

My custom knife...

This knife is still in production as I type this. The pics are from last week. It was meant for me but some of the specs were not as I had wanted and the maker is redoing it, I wanted a left hand version but he accidentally made mine a righty. Anyway blade is CPM-S30V hardened to 60HRC and Cryo tempered in liquid nitrogen. SS bolster and handles with one side in black linen micarta. All fittings are torx bit compatible. It has both thumbstud and flipper but it doesn't have any springs to make it an assisted knife which is a big no no in SG. These pics were taken by the maker...

This knife will be a user... Since its one of a kind and made to my specs. I figured with all the fishing I do if I should ever die somewhere in a jungle or out at sea my wife will be able to ident. me when they pry it from my cold dead hand. Its pricy though... Not much choice as no one makes a left hand frame lock unless its from Chris Reeve and there's no way I can afford those. Another good maker is from Thailand... Search for Yuna Knives. Super expensive but his knives are very highly sought after and the F&F is perfect.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #522
Arch-Supremacy Member

Pics as promised... Sorry for the poor quality. Wish I have a proper camera. Maybe one of the bros here can recommend me a decent one. Someone told me I need one with macro function. No idea what that means.

Back to the knife... Its larger and a lot heavier than I expected. Came razor sharp, I expected no less from a Spyderco. In fact I cut myself playing with it and din feel a thing. Really sharp knives tend to do that. I'd love to use it but the blade has all those recurves and sharpening them would be a nightmare. Blade is VG10 and handle is black micarta. Very slick stuff but it looks really good. Pics dun do this knife justice. Locks like a bank vault. No blade play whatsoever and blade is centred perfectly.
Can you do some cutting test with this new blade ?
Old 04-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #523

This was not ordered from Knifeworks... It was a private transaction. No worries. Still on for the Knifeworks order but probably mid of the month. Aiming for a BM 710 Ltd Edn. or a Zero Tolerance 200. Interested in a SOG Field Pup? I've a fren who wanna let go 3pcs. NIB w/ leather sheathe. PM me if interested. I'll PM you before I make the order and we can make arrangements and agree on funds and other stuff.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #524

I will be ordering ColdSteel Recon-1 soon.

Any Bros have thios knife? Care to comment ?

I have seen videos and reviews, but would like to hear from fellow collectors in SG about this knife.

THanks.
I've handled one before, a Malaysian friend has one he allowed me to fondle it a bit so I've a general idea on it. I'm no knife expert BTW but my opinion is it's a so so knife. For about USD85 I feel there are other better choices out there.

The Good
G10 handle make it ver grippy and G10 is not exactly a cheap material.

Choice of a few blade shapes, I prefer clip points rather than tanto (personal preference)

Very strong lock mechanism

Good size.. Think its around 4inch blade size

Heavy, generally I prefer chunky knives

The Bad
USD85 for AUS8A steel is a ripoff, esp. for a made in China/Taiwan knife and all Cold Steels are made there. Cold Steel only design their stuff. They have no production facilities, all knives are made by OEM manufacturers.

The thumb disc... Not very user friendly. Studs and holes work better for me.

Dumb coating, Teflon rubs off the blade too easily. They may talk as if it's some miracle product but experience have shown they use it cos it's cheap. TiNi (BM and others) and DLC (Diamond like Coating by Spyderco) coating is still a lot superior.

There are better stuff out there... Trust me. Of late Cold Steel has been very sloppy with their products. Read thru the knife forums and you'll understand why. There are better alternatives at that price point, with better steel and design too. Dun let me turn you off from buying though. It's your money and you should buy what you like.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #525
Arch-Supremacy Member

I've handled one before, a Malaysian friend has one he allowed me to fondle it a bit so I've a general idea on it. I'm no knife expert BTW but my opinion is it's a so so knife. For about USD85 I feel there are other better choices out there.

The Good
G10 handle make it ver grippy and G10 is not exactly a cheap material.

Choice of a few blade shapes, I prefer clip points rather than tanto (personal preference)

Very strong lock mechanism

Good size.. Think its around 4inch blade size

Heavy, generally I prefer chunky knives

The Bad
USD85 for AUS8A steel is a ripoff, esp. for a made in China/Taiwan knife and all Cold Steels are made there. Cold Steel only design their stuff. They have no production facilities, all knives are made by OEM manufacturers.

The thumb disc... Not very user friendly. Studs and holes work better for me.

Dumb coating, Teflon rubs off the blade too easily. They may talk as if it's some miracle product but experience have shown they use it cos it's cheap. TiNi (BM and others) and DLC (Diamond like Coating by Spyderco) coating is still a lot superior.

There are better stuff out there... Trust me. Of late Cold Steel has been very sloppy with their products. Read thru the knife forums and you'll understand why. There are better alternatives at that price point, with better steel and design too. Dun let me turn you off from buying though. It's your money and you should buy what you like.
Thank you for your insight.

Is it possible to give me the links for the bad reviews.. as I really want to know more about this blade, instead of hearing people saying 'it's good' and keep repeating.

Frankly, I do like th 4 inch blade, tactical coat and the blade is keen. The only turn off is as you mentioned earlier, it's taiwan or china made. Not to say things coming from there are bad, well my Gigabyte Mainboard five years liao, still working.

But... I couldn't resist the dark side.... and bought it....

As I have Gerber CLS as a utility knife/ EDC, Recon-1 is mainly for keeping at home and having a defensive tip (tanto w/serrated), it does serve the purpose.

Thanks again Lonerider for your insight, I appreciate it as it is factual and named all weakness and strength.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.