HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 03:44 AM   #526
Master Member

... blade is CPM-S30V hardened to 60HRC and Cryo tempered in liquid nitrogen. SS bolster and handles with one side in black linen micarta. All fittings are torx bit compatible. It has both thumbstud and flipper but it doesn't have any springs to make it an assisted knife which is a big no no in SG. These pics were taken by the maker...
Wow! I like the size of the kris! I agree with the blade shape, it's gonna be a pain to sharpen it but it is definately a collector!

And I'm drooling at your custom blade!! Today I brought my tenacious and grip to a bbq chopping board.. my opinion is that the blade of the tenacious is perfect to cut through shellfish and most seafood but 8CR13MOV steel is disappointing in edge retention (though damn easy to sharpen)
One cooler box of crayfish and I had to change to my grip. The 154cm steel is better but the drop point's thinner blade profile is not suitable for such task imo.. Had not tried sharpening the 154's yet so i don't know if it's gonna be easy when it gets dull..
I think I'm too used to the endura's vg10 blade

Hey lonerider, do let us know once you get your hands on your custom how well the steel holds! and if it's gonna be a pain to sharpen! I must get my hands on a custom hardened steel one day..
viix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #527

Wow! I like the size of the kris! I agree with the blade shape, it's gonna be a pain to sharpen it but it is definately a collector!

And I'm drooling at your custom blade!! Today I brought my tenacious and grip to a bbq chopping board.. my opinion is that the blade of the tenacious is perfect to cut through shellfish and most seafood but 8CR13MOV steel is disappointing in edge retention (though damn easy to sharpen)
One cooler box of crayfish and I had to change to my grip. The 154cm steel is better but the drop point's thinner blade profile is not suitable for such task imo.. Had not tried sharpening the 154's yet so i don't know if it's gonna be easy when it gets dull..
I think I'm too used to the endura's vg10 blade

Hey lonerider, do let us know once you get your hands on your custom how well the steel holds! and if it's gonna be a pain to sharpen! I must get my hands on a custom hardened steel one day..
He's finally finished my blade... Blade is just under 3inch. No 2 custom knives are the same I guess as they are handmade but from his previous portfolio I can see he's got some serious skills. I wun get it so soon though since I'll only send him the funds mid month.

Here are a few pics he sent me...

Closed position...

Open and ready for action...

Frame lock view...

Glad you enjoy your Grip bro... 154CM is a great steel. To be honest the crayfish will blunt any steel. You might want to try the ZDP189 blades if you really want a long lasting edge but obviously re-sharpening is gonna be a major pain in the ar$e. I'm with you on the Endura... Cuts like a laser, maybe cos its chisel ground thus making it more sharp. Great edc if you can get past it's massive size. People tend to recoil in fear at such a huge knife. I've plenty of blades in S30V and I expect the performance to be good. This steel was made specifically for knives. I had a choice of D2 (prone to rust in our humid weather) and 154CM (too many knives with that steel already) but stuck to S30V.

A custom can cost anywhere from USD90 for a small fixed blade to more than USD1K for a dressed up folder. It's not really out of reach and you get something one of a kind and to your own specs. In my case I wanted both a flipper and thumbstuds and I needed a knife that would suit my small-medium hand size. If you ever need one done up for yourself do PM me and I'll intro you to a few makers. Next up... I'd like to intro a fine custom maker from Thailand. Yun of Yuna Knives... You're gonna have a pleasant surprise at what this guy can churn out. Not cheap though... USD500 and above. My dream knives...
Lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #528

Yuna Knives

Asians have been forging and making blades as long as any Europeans... Yun makes amazing knives and if it wasn't for the price I'd grab one in the blink of an eye. I feel they're a bit too expensive as you can get a Hinderer XM-18 for less and that is a tried and proved custom blade but Yun does use premium stuff. He uses ZDP-189 laminated over ATS-34 steel. Hard on the outside but slightly soft on the inside, similar to Japanese Katanas... Handles are full titanium and his signature is the Yin-Yang pivot that he designs and make himself. Cheapest one is USD460 (excluding delivery). On the other hand XM-18s cost only USD400 for a similar specced knife. I'm bargaining really hard with him... Hehe.. Asian thing I guess.

Last edited by Lonerider; 05-04-2009 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Edit tags
Lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #529

Asians have been forging and making blades as long as any Europeans... Yun makes amazing knives and if it wasn't for the price I'd grab one in the blink of an eye. I feel they're a bit too expensive as you can get a Hinderer XM-18 for less and that is a tried and proved custom blade but Yun does use premium stuff. He uses ZDP-189 laminated over ATS-34 steel. Hard on the outside but slightly soft on the inside, similar to Japanese Katanas... Handles are full titanium and his signature is the Yin-Yang pivot that he designs and make himself. Cheapest one is USD460 (excluding delivery). On the other hand XM-18s cost only USD400 for a similar specced knife. I'm bargaining really hard with him... Hehe.. Asian thing I guess.

brilliant knives. i love asian styled knives. i own a shrade tanto blade. just wish it wasnt so ex.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #530
Arch-Supremacy Member

Nice Yun Blades, but too expensive. Owning these knives would also mean that they are for display only.

Too expensive to use as EDC or heart will break when scratched.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #531
Master Member

Nice blades lonerider.. argh, no budget for any customs and I haven't used enough cutlery to really pin point what I really prefer in a knife yet~ Will go out and use my cutlery more often lol.. maybe then I can start planning what I want in a custom
Old 06-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #532
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi All bros /experts,

what do you all think of : Benchmade 950 Rift, Black and Charcoal G10 Scales, Plain Edge

Good as EDC, it's lighter than Gerber CLS and using 154 CM With Axis lock. SO far read good reviews, except NutnFancy said it's slightly too heavy for his EDC collection. He sounds like he doesn't like th knife too much.

Any comments about this knife is welcome.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #533
Great Supremacy Member

is there a specific description for these blade shape?
or isit juz available from certain blade maker?
Old 07-04-2009, 09:27 AM   #534
Arch-Supremacy Member

My shipment from Knifeworks left USA on April 3 20:54 hrs, which is 4 April 09 8:54 am (SG Time).

Order was placed since April 1st 2009.

International Dispatch, April 03, 2009, 8:54 pm, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) Processed, April 01, 2009, 5:50 pm, ALEXANDRIA, LA 71301 Acceptance, April 01, 2009, 3:04 pm, COLUMBIA, LA 71418
Still haven't arrive.

Viix... was it this long for you? Please advise.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #535
Master Member

My shipment from Knifeworks left USA on April 3 20:54 hrs, which is 4 April 09 8:54 am (SG Time).

Order was placed since April 1st 2009.

International Dispatch, April 03, 2009, 8:54 pm, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) Processed, April 01, 2009, 5:50 pm, ALEXANDRIA, LA 71301 Acceptance, April 01, 2009, 3:04 pm, COLUMBIA, LA 71418
Still haven't arrive.

Viix... was it this long for you? Please advise.

Thanks.
About 4-6 working days depending on weekends. USPS do ship on weekend but Singpost doesn't. I package will have no postal movement on saturday past 12 and sunday. Probably Thursday or Friday ba.. if delay, pray saturday will get it else Monday liao.

Last edited by viix; 07-04-2009 at 12:48 PM..
Old 07-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #536
Arch-Supremacy Member

About 4-6 working days depending on weekends. USPS do ship on weekend but Singpost doesn't. I package will have no postal movement on saturday past 12 and sunday. Probably Thursday or Friday ba.. if delay, pray saturday will get it else Monday liao.
Thanks Viix. It has arrived, stuck at speedpost because of a blocthed delivery.

I just went sheares and bought a Benchmade 950. Opening is alittle stiff, but a very nice blade overall. I'm very happy with it.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #537
Arch-Supremacy Member

all words... peekture where?
Old 07-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #538
Arch-Supremacy Member

I from that time say want to get this up till now still havent

Old 07-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #539
Master Member

Thanks Viix. It has arrived, stuck at speedpost because of a blocthed delivery.

I just went sheares and bought a Benchmade 950. Opening is alittle stiff, but a very nice blade overall. I'm very happy with it.
You know the rules! PEEKTURES!! lol
Old 08-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #540
Arch-Supremacy Member

You know the rules! PEEKTURES!! lol
Yes, I know Tonight then use my wife hp to take. Last night busy with tying lanyard to it. sorry sorry.

Tonight, I give review also. Reviews for asians by asians.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.