HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #556
Arch-Supremacy Member

[quote=viix;37026550]Field cooking no problemo though I don't eat much/prefer to eat on the go As for staying overnight, maybe not since ubin less than a day can cover finish liao.. any idea last boat is what time? It's been long time since I went ubin..

I think the last boat is between 6-7 pm daily.

Last i went there was.... 8 years ago

Let's organize this meet, see who else is interested
Old 10-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #557
Honorary Member

now ubin very lively during weekend, alot of people park the bicycle and walk into the forest to find dropped durian
near the jetty got restaurants and bicycle rental
china people also alot ........
Krabs. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #558

Very legal. It's only has a single edge. This blade shape is called "Reverse Tanto".

Knifeworks.com has got the plain edge (full cutting edge without serrations) or Combo edge like mine.

Take a look here: http://www.knifeworks.com/search.aspx?find=950

nice review on the Rift... I dun agree with all of nutnfancy's review. Feel the Rift is ok for EDC. He's too hung up on the max 4oz limit. I love the way the G10 looks. I'd much prefer a PE though. Personal preference I guess. Is the size ok say in a staight cut jeans pocket? Dun wear baggy jeans much. I'm always in dress pants, jeans if I'm working weekends. Worried about it being too bulky. Noticed there's no backspacer on the knife, that could be a good thing, easier to clean out. Sweet buy man... Dun flick it too much via Axis lock though. Better off thumbing it open. Seen a few broken omega springs on the Axis lock and its actually quite a common problem. Seen the latest Presidio? Think the handle is G10 or FRN now. A lot lighter than the old aluminium handled ones. A lot cheaper too. USD70-80 I think.

Hope you guys do meet up for the knife get together... Too bad I'm too busy with work. I'd avoid Ubin though because of the check at the police checkpoint. Might pose some problems. If you guys do meet up do take lots of pics. Very interested to see them. Meeting to view, buy or sell knives is always a pain, especially in public. The public reacts very strangely to seeing knives. In fact if I'm carrying more than one piece I make it a point to avoid taking the MRT. If I'm lugging my whole collection around I take a cab... Last thing I want is for some idiot security guy to find an excuse to pocket my knives. Not that my knives are very expensive but they are very precious to me. Even the cheapo ones...
Lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #559
Arch-Supremacy Member

... Is the size ok say in a staight cut jeans pocket? Dun wear baggy jeans much. I'm always in dress pants, jeans if I'm working weekends. Worried about it being too bulky. Noticed there's no backspacer on the knife, that could be a good thing, easier to clean out. Sweet buy man... Dun flick it too much via Axis lock though. Better off thumbing it open. Seen a few broken omega springs on the Axis lock and its actually quite a common problem. Seen the latest Presidio? Think the handle is G10 or FRN now. A lot lighter than the old aluminium handled ones. A lot cheaper too. USD70-80 I think.

Hope you guys do meet up for the knife get together... Too bad I'm too busy with work. I'd avoid Ubin though because of the check at the police checkpoint. Might pose some problems. If you guys do meet up do take lots of pics. Very interested to see them. Meeting to view, buy or sell knives is always a pain, especially in public. The public reacts very strangely to seeing knives. In fact if I'm carrying more than one piece I make it a point to avoid taking the MRT. If I'm lugging my whole collection around I take a cab... Last thing I want is for some idiot security guy to find an excuse to pocket my knives. Not that my knives are very expensive but they are very precious to me. Even the cheapo ones...
Spoken like a Collector. I have this notion that a blade is out there because of someone's effort in making it, even though most are machined by the operator. I appreciate their hardwork and commitment.

On your question of size of the Rift. I would have no problem in putting the whole blade into my Jeans pocket, be it front or back. But if you are using the clip, the tip will still be visible.

I usually in Shirt and Pants during work. The 950 is in my bag during most parts of the day. As I hate anything bulging from my pants pocket. I dun even put my mobile in my pants pocket most of the time.

Yes, I agree with your opinion on the general populace. Most of the people fears the blade and it's wielder because they feel that they are dangerous and what could happened in 'Sillypore' ?

I feel that Blade carrier are more responsible in reality because they understand the power they carry and they need to exercise caution. Unbeknown, someday, you / me / us might just save someone's life because we carry it around.

Say for eg, car accident, driver still strapped down by safety belt and it's jammed. A simple utility knife would have cut him free. But how many are carrying one?

We have mutual understanding and sentiments
Old 11-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #560
Master Member

Yeah~ Ubin might be problematic, maybe we can do woodcutters trail, if you guys still remember how to go there. will be a nice long walk to pierce and shouldn't be problematic as long as we stick to the track..

Last edited by viix; 11-04-2009 at 01:14 AM..
viix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #561

Need some advice from butties who bought from Knifeworks before.

Last Wedesday i placed a order online for the following items:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh...&postcount=597

But everytime i check the ordering history on their site, i only see: Status: Order Received

No shipping or tracking info, when checking account, also no amount showing on my CC account also. It has almost been a week already, is this normal for those who have bought knives from them before? Should i send Roger an email enquiry?

Last edited by Pedobear_BTSS; 14-04-2009 at 12:48 PM..
Pedobear_BTSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 02:06 PM   #562
Arch-Supremacy Member

I suggest on weekends... then Evening time can go eat seafood !

Lunch... dunno if you all wanna cook... but we can go for some trekking during daylight and go eat seafood during evening. Then maybe head back to mainland or wanna stay overnight ?
I want to go!

on bicycle or?
Old 14-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #563
Master Member

But everytime i check the ordering history on their site, i only see: Status: Order Received

No shipping or tracking info, when checking account, also no amount showing on my CC account also. It has almost been a week already, is this normal for those who have bought knives from them before? Should i send Roger an email enquiry?
It's either they are on holiday for holy week or maybe out of stock or restocking?
I know some retailers are off on holidays.. Better to email and ask them bah.. This is your chance to email the sales xmm
but seriously best to check with them.. I've order from other places and if they show orders received for so long, usually it's because it's back ordered / "waiting for supplier" or closed for the holidays

Last edited by viix; 14-04-2009 at 04:52 PM..
Old 14-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #564
Arch-Supremacy Member

dragon kor kor ..... acrylic casing around 50cm width X 100cm length X 50cm height .... ish around how much $$$ ?
wah 100cm....

do send in an email i reply tru there...
Old 14-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #565
Arch-Supremacy Member

btw knifeworks also sell maglite 4D LED for USD33, is this cheap or i can get better in sg?
omg... pls dun get a maglite....
Old 15-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #566
Arch-Supremacy Member

Maybe check your email ? They need the CV number on your card.
Old 15-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #567
Arch-Supremacy Member

Very legal. It's only has a single edge. This blade shape is called "Reverse Tanto".

Knifeworks.com has got the plain edge (full cutting edge without serrations) or Combo edge like mine.

Take a look here: http://www.knifeworks.com/search.aspx?find=950
thanks for replying. can start saving up money for that, haha.

so the blade will just pass through customs without any fuss?

the blade is of Jap origin? cos i know tanto means short blade or short sword in jap.

-hollowman- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #568
Master Member

the blade is of Jap origin? cos i know tanto means short blade or short sword in jap.

Yup.. can be bought at Sheares or online.. tanto is the blade style, but is an adapted style from Japanese tanto and NOT a Japanese tanto.. the blade material 154cm is from Crucible, a US Company. You can read more about benchmade's blade info here
Old 15-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #569
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yup.. can be bought at Sheares or online.. tanto is the blade style, but is an adapted style from Japanese tanto and NOT a Japanese tanto.. the blade material 154cm is from Crucible, a US Company. You can read more about benchmade's blade info here
Yes, but this blade is a reverse tanto blade version. Tanto, if I'm correct means short sword in nihon-go.

I have tested my Recon-1 slicing power against 950 Rift. The Verdict?

950 Rift is able to slice paper thinly due to it's blade thickness. Recon-1 is unable to do so due to it's steeper edge and thicker blade.

I would classify Recon-1 as a blade that do raw cutting. Cutting bigger and thicker stuff shouldn't be a problem with this blade.

950 Rift is a finer blade and can slice as thinly as you want. It's an EDC keepers.
Old 15-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #570

Hello, Knife Collection seems interesting. Can anyone give me advice if I want to start my own collection? Like, are there age restrictions for these knives? Whats the difference between a knife with a black blade and a normal metal blade? Can anyone recommend a durable but cheap pocket knife for me to start my collection? Thank you.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.