HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #571

What's the difference between a black blade and a silver blade?
Old 15-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #572

Where can I buy cheap leatherman blades without ordering online?
Old 15-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #573

Edit: Sorry for the double post.
Old 15-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #574
Master Member

Hello, Knife Collection seems interesting. Can anyone give me advice if I want to start my own collection? Like, are there age restrictions for these knives? Whats the difference between a knife with a black blade and a normal metal blade? Can anyone recommend a durable but cheap pocket knife for me to start my collection? Thank you.
Better not have too much duplicate post are else your account gets banned again..

Some knives are for pure investment (the limited knives), while others are user.. when we resell knives, we try to be socially responsible and tend to limit to those above 18 and do some CSI when we sell them just to be safe.. There isn't any age limit per se but you'll need a credit card to purchase them online.. I bought my first fixed blade when I was in sec 2 fyi.. Some of the popular knives (folders) around are the benchmade griptilians, spyderco delicas/enduras and boker trace/subcom. Pretty cheap and good for starters..

Black blades are basically coated steel.. the coating will wear off after some use..

Black-technology.com aka XXDragonXX's shop Let him answer you

Last edited by viix; 15-04-2009 at 09:19 PM..
viix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #575

It's either they are on holiday for holy week or maybe out of stock or restocking?
I know some retailers are off on holidays.. Better to email and ask them bah.. This is your chance to email the sales xmm
but seriously best to check with them.. I've order from other places and if they show orders received for so long, usually it's because it's back ordered / "waiting for supplier" or closed for the holidays
Followed your advice and email them. Guess what Anna the cute xmm email me back! Waa dream come true leh.

pic for the uninitiated:

Maybe check your email ? They need the CV number on your card.
Yep, you are right. I emailed them and Anna, the gal u like from the shop asked for my CV number to process the order. Hope everything goes well for my first purchase with them.

shears, seal pup is selling at $160. wonder how much is their seal pup elite?
Not bad let quite reasonable, maybe will hoot one from them soon.

Last edited by Pedobear_BTSS; 16-04-2009 at 09:20 AM..
Pedobear_BTSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #576
Arch-Supremacy Member

Followed your advice and email them. Guess what Anna the cute xmm email me back! Waa dream come true leh.

pic for the uninitiated:

Yep, you are right. I emailed them and Anna, the gal u like from the shop asked for my CV number to process the order. Hope everything goes well for my first purchase with them.

Not bad let quite reasonable, maybe will hoot one from them soon.
Wah... you are lucky

No worries about the shipment.. should reach SG in about 3 days maximum after it leaves USA. Then you will get it the day after.

But custom likes to tear up boxes. My Gerber CLS and Recon-1 boxes were teared at the ends.
Old 16-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #577

Better not have too much duplicate post are else your account gets banned again..

Some knives are for pure investment (the limited knives), while others are user.. when we resell knives, we try to be socially responsible and tend to limit to those above 18 and do some CSI when we sell them just to be safe.. There isn't any age limit per se but you'll need a credit card to purchase them online.. I bought my first fixed blade when I was in sec 2 fyi.. Some of the popular knives (folders) around are the benchmade griptilians, spyderco delicas/enduras and boker trace/subcom. Pretty cheap and good for starters..

Black blades are basically coated steel.. the coating will wear off after some use..

Black-technology.com aka XXDragonXX's shop Let him answer you
Lol, thanks.
Old 16-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #578
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hello, Knife Collection seems interesting. Can anyone give me advice if I want to start my own collection? Like, are there age restrictions for these knives? Whats the difference between a knife with a black blade and a normal metal blade? Can anyone recommend a durable but cheap pocket knife for me to start my collection? Thank you.
Perhaps, you can ask yourself what is your budget. Look for knives that interest you within you budget.

How do you determine beauty and functionality? It all depends on yourself. Whether you want the knives for collection or for usage, you will need to decide this.

If you are buying expensive knives, chances are you will not use them at all. But on the other hand, it depends on yourself on what type of steel blade is best suited for your use.

There are a lot of steel with different methods of hardening, you will need to read up a little bit before you determine.

On brands: If you want cheaper knives that can cut hard, try Coldsteel. Though most of their stuff is Taiwan made, but they have a good cutting edge. The Recon-1 which I bought, cutting edge is good, but still not fine enough, also it's AUS 8 steel. Locking mechanism can jam the blade from opening at times. Never on closing though.

If you want long term reliable work horse, try Benchmade. I would give them a 9/10 rating. Though they are not the best, but their products will serve you well.

After going through lotsa blades, then you might wanna get your custom blade. You will determine what steel, what handle material and design to use. But prices are pretty steep and chances are if I do own one, it will never be used.

Have fun shopping.
Old 16-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #579

Perhaps, you can ask yourself what is your budget. Look for knives that interest you within you budget.

How do you determine beauty and functionality? It all depends on yourself. Whether you want the knives for collection or for usage, you will need to decide this.

If you are buying expensive knives, chances are you will not use them at all. But on the other hand, it depends on yourself on what type of steel blade is best suited for your use.

There are a lot of steel with different methods of hardening, you will need to read up a little bit before you determine.

On brands: If you want cheaper knives that can cut hard, try Coldsteel. Though most of their stuff is Taiwan made, but they have a good cutting edge. The Recon-1 which I bought, cutting edge is good, but still not fine enough, also it's AUS 8 steel. Locking mechanism can jam the blade from opening at times. Never on closing though.

If you want long term reliable work horse, try Benchmade. I would give them a 9/10 rating. Though they are not the best, but their products will serve you well.

After going through lotsa blades, then you might wanna get your custom blade. You will determine what steel, what handle material and design to use. But prices are pretty steep and chances are if I do own one, it will never be used.

Have fun shopping.
Thanks for all that advice. Where can custom blades be obtained? How do I determine what steel is good and identify them?
Old 16-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #580
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks for all that advice. Where can custom blades be obtained? How do I determine what steel is good and identify them?
Try this:

http://www.benchmade.com/about_knive...p#Blade_Steels
Old 16-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #581

Thank you.
Old 16-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #582
Master Member

Customs blades not cheap.. best to understand what knifes shape and steel you want first. Utility, survival or collection.. all these determine the thickness, edge, blade surface and design of the blade and the type of locking or fixed blade you require..
viix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #583
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes. Different material, shapes, determine what the knife is best used for.

Take the Kukri for example. We all know that knife has got lotsa cutting power. The shape of the blade allows the tip to reach the target fast and the gravity will pull the knife downwards.

Spear point knives are used for piercing as you may have guess. The design allows it to optimize piercing power into soft targets. But it will not do well against armored targets (kevlar vest, for eg)

So, here comes what Tanto blade knives do best. Piercing into Kevlar vest is easier and less likely to break the tip of the knife. The thick tip of the blade will ensure that the knive goes in and out without breaking it's tip.

Blunted tips are usually used in E.R where medics wouln't want to pierce their target, but still gives them cutting power to cut through thick materials.

There are lotsa designs and you will need to understand in order to know what you are looking for.

For rough use, a 154 CM blade can do just fine. But an AUS 8 blade will do the same job, at a cheaper price.

so, to summarize:

1. Understand what you need the knife for.
2. Determine the most efficient design.
3. determine material best suited for it (Heavy use or light use)
4. Pay for it.
5. Enjoy

Hope this shed some light to you iParadigm
Old 16-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #584

Thanks for all that info.
Old 16-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #585

Is leatherman C33x good or k501?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.