EDMW Knife Collectors

Rock-kun

Reaction score
If it's China- china brands like Sanrenmu, enlan or ganzo-- just go and find in Aliexpress.. For between USD10-20 inclu. free shipping. Can't really go wrong. Yea many people will raise a brow when Aliexpress is mentioned. But objectively Chinese website to buy a China knife-- it's really cheaper than most. Just don't expect a lot out of their usual steels or even their construction on some models.. but for daily beater or use to learn how to sharpen knives, mod some handle scale etc... its fair deal. But seriously as some have suggested, start out with a better knife if it's meant to be carried and use. If $200+ is still steep.. go with $100+
I'm not a fan of some of those local online sites or physical shops mentioned. Edgepedition is better imo...

If going for Sanrenmu knives, I strongly suggest taking a look at their new non-locking knives in the 7000 series. They are generally identifiable by their MUC, MUX, SUC and SUX codes immediately after the model number. These knives, despite being non-locking, do not use slipjoints, but a double ball detent system.

Tiny holes in the blade catch onto the ball bearings situated on two pieces of spring steel in the liners at both the open and close positions, with the holes in the open position being deeper than those in the closed position. This means that the knives are almost impossible to be opened and closed one-handed, which translates to greater safety. I own a couple of those non-lockers and the detent is so tight in the open position that it requires a fair bit of strength (think two hands worth of strength) to dislodge the blade from the detents so accidental closure is practically impossible. Of course, with the amount of force involved in closing these non-locking models, please keep your fingers away from the blade when attempting to close them unless losing one of them happens to be your thing.

Since all of Sanrenmu's 7XXX series fall below 3" in blade length, combined with the new series of non-locking models they can be the closest to what can be called world-legal knives. Also, Sanrenmu is known to be phasing out most of their locking models in favour of smaller, non-locking ones to comply with Chinese domestic law, which is a good move for those living under tight regulations. And by the way, almost all of the non-locking models in the 7000 series are multitools; they come with two added attachments, a sloted screwdriver + bottle opener attachment and a Philips screwdriver + beltcutter attachments, both slipjoints.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
There is a G10 handle variant?

I might get the Endura with wave opener to replace the RATII.

several years ago, they did a short run. The G10 was a nice foliage green. You'll have to look for the in the secondary market - they are around USD100 if you can find them.

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
several years ago, they did a short run. The G10 was a nice foliage green. You'll have to look for the in the secondary market - they are around USD100 if you can find them.

It might be difficult to get the G10 sprint runs on the (after)market though.

If you end up really liking the Delica so much, there are aftermarket scales for it. Allen Putman is a pretty famous and reputable guy for this.

Dr Hunt

Reaction score
It might be difficult to get the G10 sprint runs on the (after)market though.

If you end up really liking the Delica so much, there are aftermarket scales for it. Allen Putman is a pretty famous and reputable guy for this.

I think Vespaguy referred to Endura.

Looks like there are aftermarket G10 scales for Endura. Thanks Shikiwaru, for your BladeHQ link.

tangene

Reaction score
Skyline.

I'm looking for a beginner's utility knife for bait'n'tackle/EDC purposes.

Thinking of purchasing Shikiwaru's Kershaw Skyline. Would like everyone's take on the knife itself in terms of quality, durability, (whatever other criteria you think applicable) and whether it suits my requirements. Alternative suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Edit: Just saw the China vs US debate a page back. Wonder how a Kershaw would rate against China knives. (Though I've heard some Kershaw is MIC)

Last edited:

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score

Thinking of purchasing Shikiwaru's Kershaw Skyline. Would like everyone's take on the knife itself in terms of quality, durability, (whatever other criteria you think applicable) and whether it suits my requirements. Alternative suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Edit: Just saw the China vs US debate a page back. Wonder how a Kershaw would rate against China knives. (Though I've heard some Kershaw is MIC)

The Skyline is supposedly a really good Made in USA knife at a reasonable price. I have not handled one yet (will change after tonight), but it is a knife that is in many people's recommended lists for beginners.

I'm do not do fishing, and I'm not too sure how good it'll be for the task.

I'm expecting the G10 handles to have medium traction, not anything crazy like Cold Steel.

Bead-blasted blade supposedly makes the knife easier to rust, but I have never heard people have issues with Sandvik 14C28N rusting. If you really want a totally rustproof blade, take a look at Spyderco's H1 Steel blades.

Liner lock is not the strongest lock in the world, but if you're not abusing the knife, it will be adequate.

I've heard stuff like the flipper not being as smooth as people want it to, but that may vary with each knife. At worst, I can just take the washers out and polish them. (But, I can give more details on that tonight)

Also, if you're a strictly tip-up carry person, this knife might be disappointing because of the positioning of the clip when in tip-up. That can be remedied with aftermarket Titanium clips from eBay. Speaking of aftermarket, there is quite a plethora of custom Skyline handle scales if you're into that.

From what research I've done on it, it is a pretty awesome EDC knife, even with the shortcomings. That is why it is so popular. As for bait and tackle, I'm sure it can handle it, but it may not be the best knife for the task.

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
I think Vespaguy referred to Endura.

Looks like there are aftermarket G10 scales for Endura. Thanks Shikiwaru, for your BladeHQ link.

Oh, if that is the case, you can get the Endura scales directly from the man himself. It is cheaper, but I'm not very sure how much shipping will be to Singapore.

Also, do exercise caution when taking apart lockbacks. They are not as straightforward as liner locks or frame locks. It might get frustrating if you're doing it for the first time.

tangene

Reaction score
I'm not much of a fisherman myself which is why I have no idea what type of unique requirements (if any) a knife used in those conditions would need to have. Off the top of my head I can only say it stands to reason that how well a knife stands up to moderate exposure to sea water might be an issue.

Which is why I'm asking here, hoping to pick the brain of knife-fans who also happen to be into fishing at sea.

---

By the way, how well does the Skyline hold an edge. Because I'm not entirely sure if the person I intend to buy this for is much of a meticulous sharpener.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score

I'm not a fisherman, but I would think that a pair of scissors will cut lines the best, plus a box cutter in the toolkit for the messy jobs. IF you're talking about gutting and cleaning fish, I would avoid folders completely. Buy a cheap fillet knife/paring knife - those do a better job.

IF you want a folding knife, I would recommend those with H1 steel - whether freshwater or saltwater fishing, and in yellow scales :)

Last edited:

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
By the way, how well does the Skyline hold an edge. Because I'm not entirely sure if the person I intend to buy this for is much of a meticulous sharpener.

This man holds your answer. Do note that this test is 4 years ago, not sure if they have changed anything about the current Skylines.

EDIT: I've heard people put it slightly below VG-10. I won't be able to tell you anything as I'll be selling them off and not using them.

Last edited:

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
They're here! As stated earlier, I'm selling the Kershaw Skyline.

It is listed as $75, but if you tell me that you came from this thread, it'll be $70!

Kind of a shame I have to let it go, but I'll probably get the BladeHQ exclusive or a Damascus one in the future.

Contact me via PM here or on Carousell to deal.

SOLD

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Sandvik steel is like 440B. I don't think you can compare it with VG10 except for ease of sharpening.

:s22:

tangene

Reaction score
I'm not a fisherman, but I would think that a pair of scissors will cut lines the best, plus a box cutter in the toolkit for the messy jobs. IF you're talking about gutting and cleaning fish, I would avoid folders completely. Buy a cheap fillet knife/paring knife - those do a better job.

IF you want a folding knife, I would recommend those with H1 steel - whether freshwater or saltwater fishing, and in yellow scales :)

Valid point. But there are probably a great many tasks that could be performed more cost effectively with anything other than a folding knife.

That being said, I'm pretty sure this thread isn't exactly filled with spec-ops/ninja/outdoorsman types that specifically NEED fancy knives either.

Guess I was thinking along the lines of a 'luxury' item that performs a function but is also cooler give as a gift than say a pair of scissors.

Whatever the case, I guess the Skyline doesn't really match the requirements. Will take your suggestion and look into H1 blade. Thanks.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Valid point. But there are probably a great many tasks that could be performed more cost effectively with anything other than a folding knife.

That being said, I'm pretty sure this thread isn't exactly filled with spec-ops/ninja/outdoorsman types that specifically NEED fancy knives either.

Guess I was thinking along the lines of a 'luxury' item that performs a function but is also cooler give as a gift than say a pair of scissors.

Whatever the case, I guess the Skyline doesn't really match the requirements. Will take your suggestion and look into H1 blade. Thanks.

yes, for a gift, I would recommend that you take a look at the following 2 knives (no fisherman would refuse a nice knife for a gift, in my experience. They may not want to buy it themselves but they sure as hell are damn pleased when they get a good knife ;))

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SP...-inch-H1-Satin-Plain-Blade-Yellow-FRN-Handles

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SP...nife-3-inch-H1-Plain-Blade-Yellow-FRN-Handles

https://boyeknives.com/

OR a nice folding fillet knife (great if your fisherman likes to fillet and cook his fish at site) or alternatively, a folding kitchen knife (check out AGRussell)

OR stainless Mora knives (cheap, and good with nice thin blades - perfect for fishing) if you're ok with fixed blades

OR stainless douk-douks (especially the ones with the yellow scales) - the blades are easy to sharpen, thin (important for fish as you don't want to bruise the flesh) and easily packable:

http://www.couteaux-berthier.com/cognet-douk-douk-knives,us,3,150.cfm

Happy hunting....errr....fishing :s13:

Last edited:

kingcarlos

Reaction score
hey guys, any tips on how to oil (what oil to use) and how to sharpen the knives? trying to take care of the army sog

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
hey guys, any tips on how to oil (what oil to use) and how to sharpen the knives? trying to take care of the army sog

I believe you mean the SAF-issue Victorinox.

For oiling, I just use plain old Singer oil. It is around $1 at most hardware/DIY shops. Food-safe and cheap. Just point it down the pivot areas, squeeze 1-2 drops, open and close the knife a little bit and wipe off the excess.

It may attract pocket lint and dust in the pivot, I don't find that to be that big of a problem (especially when you are going to be just storing it in the nylon pouch on your ILBV).

As for sharpening, I'm not too sure what to recommend to you. I personally use a DMT Aligner Kit, which comes with a serrations sharpener. I believe the knife is partially serrated so that it is low maintenance for the average soldier.

But hey, I was an office drone during my NS days, what do I know?

Last edited:

kingcarlos

Reaction score
I believe you mean the SAF-issue Victorinox.

For oiling, I just use plain old Singer oil. It is around $1 at most hardware/DIY shops. Food-safe and cheap. Just point it down the pivot areas, squeeze 1-2 drops, open and close the knife a little bit and wipe off the excess.

It may attract pocket lint and dust in the pivot, I don't find that to be that big of a problem (especially when you are going to be just storing it in the nylon pouch on your ILBV).

As for sharpening, I'm not too sure what to recommend to you. I personally use a DMT Aligner Kit, which comes with a serrations sharpener. I believe the knife is partially serrated so that it is low maintenance for the average soldier.

But hey, I was an office drone during my NS days, what do I know?
haha cheers. I was issued the SOG multitool during tekong days. would normal kitchen knife stone be ok for sharpening serrated blades?

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
haha cheers. I was issued the SOG multitool during tekong days. would normal kitchen knife stone be ok for sharpening serrated blades?

I'm not sure how wide the serrations are on that. You could try using the edge of the stone to get into the serrations and sharpen them. But most people would recommend some form of rod-type of sharpener for serrations.

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
I believe SOG was issued by SAF in the past. SOG has the best pliers.

As for serrations - you need to understand the mechanics behind sharpening serrations. At the factory, the serrations are ground in by using a wheel with the serration pattern ground in the wheel - so some have the spyderco type serrations some have the cold steel type etc. In order to sharpen serrations properly, you need to be able to get into the edge of the serrations which means that the contact point of the abrasive has to be similar or smaller in diameter to each 'serration'.

Most serrations sharpeners are either a rod type (conical) (DMT) so that you only need one rod to get into each serration. Some use the corners of a stone to 'slide' in and out of each serration (spyderco sharpmaker, gatco etc).

I like the sharpmaker as it is versatile - you can sharpen both the serrations and the plain edge in one stroke. To strop the serration (if you want to polish it a little, although it kinda defeats the point), just use a small diameter shoelace, rub some stropping compound in it and slide it up and down each serration.

[I hate serrations but they have their place for cutting nylon rope]. Personally I would send it back to factory - I've never seen anyone sharpen serrations better than factory, although a lot of steel is removed at factory.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.