EDMW Knife Collectors

mamba2012

Reaction score
Hahah thats a nice SNAFU you got there. For Peter Rassenti's work, i really prefer his Nirvana model. Was thinking of getting the Spyderco Nirvana but i felt that for the price i was paying for it, i much rather save up to get a custom knife.

As for damascus stuff, I dont have any to share, at least not for now ;)

Thank you. It's a 3.5" snafu. I was under the impression that it would be cheap... Until I saw the price tag $432. Damn... That's not cheap at all, especially for a production. But the jump to customs is about double the price... :/ I like the overall design of the nirvana too... But I prefer flippers.

Last edited:

elingtey

Reaction score
That one no more already. Only maybe if it is shipping by Sea from China. But now their sea shipment have to pay 7% GST.

Thanks for your info, may I know 7CR13Mov is equal than 440A or low than that?

Last edited:

mamba2012

Reaction score
Thanks for your info, may I know 7CR13Mov is equal than 440A or low than that?

A quick Google search revealed that it is comparable to 440A (+- the same), but like all steels... The heat-treat plays a huge part in the overall quality of the steel. However, the common consensus seems to be that these cheaper Chinese steels don't hold an edge well.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/824553-Anybody-know-about-this-Chinese-steel

Last edited:

elingtey

Reaction score
A quick Google search revealed that it is comparable to 440A (+- the same), but like all steels... The heat-treat plays a huge part in the overall quality of the steel. However, the common consensus seems to be that these cheaper Chinese steels don't hold an edge well.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/824553-Anybody-know-about-this-Chinese-steel

Thanks everyone here provided me the information. I just recently collect few blades with this steels because the design is nice. Last question, does fox knives still made in Italy or pass to China factory to produce it now?

magnus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Might get this.
556_1__25542.1450802001.1280.1280.jpg

The Griptilian® with G10! Upgraded blade steel improves edge performance and the layered gray and blue G10 enhance strength. And, of course, integral grip texture offers the traction that is quintessential to the Grip family.

Designer: Pardue
Mechanism: AXIS®
Action: Manual-opening
Blade Steel: CPM-20CV (59-61 HRC)
Blade Length: 2.91" (7.39cm)
Blade Thickness: 0.100" (2.54mm)
Open Length: 6.78" (17.22cm)
Closed Length: 3.87" (9.82cm)
Handle Thickness: 0.55" (13.97mm)
Weight: 2.90oz. (82.21g)

REAlDeagles

Reaction score
KNIFE SALE

Hi everyone , im looking to sell my zero tolerance 0392 . PM if interested in photos and other enquiries

mamba2012

Reaction score
Might get this.
556_1__25542.1450802001.1280.1280.jpg

The Griptilian® with G10! Upgraded blade steel improves edge performance and the layered gray and blue G10 enhance strength. And, of course, integral grip texture offers the traction that is quintessential to the Grip family.

The steel looks quite good for edc purposes... At that price range... It's not too bad in terms of value/cost ratio either. But the g-10 handles aren't the best handle materials out there.. Nevertheless, if you do get it, please share some feedback after some usage?

magnus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
noob here. what handle material is the best currently? i have the older ver Mini-Griptilian using the 154cm blade and glass-filled nylon handle. Despite some says the handle feel like cheap china plastic but still ok for my usage.

now the new ver is almost doubled the price of my Mini-Griptilian and am also looking around whether is there any better option for the price of US$165.95.

The steel looks quite good for edc purposes... At that price range... It's not too bad in terms of value/cost ratio either. But the g-10 handles aren't the best handle materials out there.. Nevertheless, if you do get it, please share some feedback after some usage?

Shikiwaru

Master Member
Reaction score
noob here. what handle material is the best currently? i have the older ver Mini-Griptilian using the 154cm blade and glass-filled nylon handle. Despite some says the handle feel like cheap china plastic but still ok for my usage.

now the new ver is almost doubled the price of my Mini-Griptilian and am also looking around whether is there any better option for the price of US$165.95.

Like blade steels, I would not say that there is any single best material out there. For the new Griptilians, I would consider G10 an upgrade over the old GFN handles.

mamba2012

Reaction score

There is no "best" material per se. I was just speaking figuratively. Every material has its pros and cons. Some are composite materials that are lighter and grippier, others are metal and simply look nicer. There is no such thing as the "best knife" or "best material".

You pay for quality. The cpm-20cv knife is expensive coz 20cv is a supersteel, touting great edge retention and corrosion resistance. If that's out of your budget, then maybe you can consider the 0801. I'll always recommend that knife as you get great value from it. Elmax is a good stainless steel and the handles are made from titanium, which is in my opinion, better than g-10. However,even though it feels great in the hand and looks really nice, it will not be as grippy or as light as g-10.

squarebox

Reaction score
Might get this.

Griptilian is a terrible knife imo. Unbalanced and awkward(very blade heavy), hollow feeling. FYI, Griptilian does have a full frame. G10 should fix the hollow feeling and help a little with the balance.

Pics for reference:
ZEG0xeQ.jpg

Only the Mini-Griptilian has a full-frame which I like better.

As for steel "upgrade", if you dont plan on using it, it will not make a difference. Just remember this, the "better" the steel, the longer it takes to sharpen. Would you like spending 1-2 hours sharpening? I once spend 8 hours re-profiling Spyderco Dragonfly2 ZDP-189 to a true 30 degree inclusive, not fun at all...

widget

Reaction score
Might get this.

Mind sharing here or through PM where to buy Benchmade products that can ship to SG as Knifecenter and BladeHQ don't ship BM to SG.
cheers,

TheBUSTED

Reaction score
Griptilian is a terrible knife imo. Unbalanced and awkward(very blade heavy), hollow feeling. FYI, Griptilian does have a full frame. G10 should fix the hollow feeling and help a little with the balance.

Pics for reference:
ZEG0xeQ.jpg

As for steel "upgrade", if you dont plan on using it, it will not make a difference. Just remember this, the "better" the steel, the longer it takes to sharpen. Would you like spending 1-2 hours sharpening? I once spend 8 hours re-profiling Spyderco Dragonfly2 ZDP-189 to a true 30 degree inclusive, not fun at all...

Wow you are really patient. Spent 2 hours on S35VN and I swore to not use high end steel anymore. Nowadays blade steel are not so important to me since my users are of softer steels.

mamba2012

Reaction score
Mind sharing here or through PM where to buy Benchmade products that can ship to SG as Knifecenter and BladeHQ don't ship BM to SG.
cheers,

As far as I know, there is a benchmade dealer here and that's the only way to get those knives, other than on the secondary market. If you don't want to pay the mark-up dealers charge... There are always other less exclusive brands which can offer more value for your money.

magnus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Only going for the mini ver. Most likely still using the older ver and keep the new one.

Pics for reference:
ZEG0xeQ.jpg

magnus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last time I bough my mini from either amazon or ebay thru a reputable tactical shop from US. Their price is slightly lower than those knives speciality web stores. Give me some time I will try to search and provide the link here.
cheers,

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.