HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #6721

mechwira, looks like you're on a roll.
yeah, the last bumper crop was a self-treat from mid-year bonus.

i'm still waiting for a CRKT Nirk Tighe 2 ordered from ebay with my June pay even before my knife center orders, still hasn arrived

i'm thinking i'll stay off buying next few paydays and instead set aside a little bit and then buying a spyderco sage 2. but i'm being very tempted by the Kizer Cutlery Ki3404. Titanium framelock with S35VN blade at only USD130. the brand is dirt cheap coz its made in china, but high grade materials.
mechwira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #6722

still available

come knife people....my large micarta insingo is still available. Like new, only small minor marks at clip. more than USD100 off the price if you buy it direct from CRK/dealer (CRKs are not discounted by dealers due to pricing controls).

Asking for only USD450 nett in my paypal account - it needs funding....

The bladeshape makes it perfect for EDC, camp prep (it's got a slicier blade than the Umnumzaan) and the double silver thumblugs and micarta make all the difference.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ge...l#post86695368

Get it today and I'll throw in a free sharpening too (if you don't do your own sharpening)!!

Last edited by vespaguy; 27-06-2014 at 10:50 AM..
vespaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #6723

Anyone have lots of experience with elmax? It feels like a tougher and has less wear resistance than S30V. Sounds like nice inbetween VG10 and S30V EDC steel for people beat on their knives.

Other findings, the paper-like packing tape destroy edges very quickly at least on S110V while ZDP-189 screams "Is that all you've got?"

Anyone got a quality triplet loupe that I can borrow? I only have a cheapo 3x glass from Diaso which isn't powerful enough to see micro chips, rows or bur.

Last edited by squarebox; 27-06-2014 at 03:18 PM..
squarebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #6724
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyone have lots of experience with elmax? It feels like a tougher and has less wear resistance than S30V. Sounds like nice inbetween VG10 and S30V EDC steel for people beat on their knives.

Other findings, the paper-like packing tape destroy edges very quickly at least on S110V while ZDP-189 screams "Is that all you've got?"

Anyone got a quality triplet loupe that I can borrow? I only have a cheapo 3x glass from Diaso which isn't powerful enough to see micro chips, rows or bur.

Elmax suppose to have a incredible wear resistance like S90V.

But I believe its toughness should be around S30V or less by a bit. Still depends on what hardness level they heat treat to.
worcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #6725

anyone own/ handled a hinderer before? recently saw one XM18 3" Wharncliffe at around USD300+ from hinderer's site and it was gone in minutes. now minimum is US700 almost everywhere and no stock.

Last edited by sojourn88; 28-06-2014 at 11:44 PM..
sojourn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 03:16 AM   #6726
Arch-Supremacy Member

Old 29-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #6727

anyone own/ handled a hinderer before? recently saw one XM18 3" Wharncliffe at around USD300+ from hinderer's site and it was gone in minutes. now minimum is US700 almost everywhere and no stock.
They are $385 + s/h direct from maker. Rick was having special runs (20, plus another 20) to allow public to buy direct. Right now only first responders, LEOs, military can buy direct (not sure if he extends it to non-US members).

AfterMarket is now around $550-600, without adornments. Used to be $800, so it's a steal. Shipping from Rick is $45. So you'd be paying $430 direct from Rick (plus paypal fees?) if you qualify. So aftermarket premium is not crazy, just a bit more than $100.

The customs are great pieces with the belt finish on the blades. The productions are exactly the same, but boast the stonewashed finish and flat grinds (so there will be many fans). I'm just a hollow grind fan.

I'd say they fit better in the hand than many folders, but his template is an old skool one, and his flippers are not really designed to flip with authority - they can flip, but don't expect ZT801 standards
sojourn88 likes this.
Old 29-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #6728

It looks like a "dream" knife for many....but not for me. I know that that handle is going to create hot spots for me in use and I like to be able to change grips (choke up for fine work like splitting bamboo/leaves etc). Kinda reminds me of the 'machete' that Billy used in the movie Predator (that was made by Jack Crain). Swing it 10 - 20 times and you'll soon get blisters/hotspots. Sub-hilts or similar are just not for me.

It's great at that pricepoint though...I'm sure if I gave that knife to the asli, they wouldn't mind....after they have modified the handle.

As for the bladesteel - i have no idea what it is.
Old 29-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #6729
Arch-Supremacy Member

It looks like a "dream" knife for many....but not for me. I know that that handle is going to create hot spots for me in use and I like to be able to change grips (choke up for fine work like splitting bamboo/leaves etc). Kinda reminds me of the 'machete' that Billy used in the movie Predator (that was made by Jack Crain). Swing it 10 - 20 times and you'll soon get blisters/hotspots. Sub-hilts or similar are just not for me.

It's great at that pricepoint though...I'm sure if I gave that knife to the asli, they wouldn't mind....after they have modified the handle.

As for the bladesteel - i have no idea what it is.
Bladesteel is 65Mn which is almost similar to 1065 carbon steel.

non stainless version of my SOG jungle canopy but tougher.
worcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #6730

Update:
You snooze you lose. This pretty thing went for measly $95.

Last edited by squarebox; 01-07-2014 at 09:29 AM..
Old 30-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #6731

Anyone interest in an Endura? It's too big for me
ditto haha
Old 01-07-2014, 12:05 AM   #6732

How much are u looking for it?
lostLore85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #6733

ditto haha
But I'll still keep the orange version just for collection sake and maybe a ZDP-189 version of a Endura and Delica. I love ZDP-189!!!

Last edited by squarebox; 01-07-2014 at 09:35 AM..
Old 01-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #6734

But I'll still keep the orange version just for collection sake and maybe a ZDP-189 version of a Endura and Delica. I love ZDP-189!!!
in terms of usage, what kind of differences will i experience between the original VG-10 compared to the ZDP-189? am i going to actually feel any diff in light-duty edc use and occasional honing/stropping?

i'm only a beginner collector and dont have much experience with blade steels. my knives are are all 420HC or AUS8, except of coz for my delica. all the 420HC doesnt really hold its edge very well, but its easy to sharpen, which works for me as a beginner looking for an excuse to practice sharpening and stropping. plus 420HC knives are cheap for my starter collection, and i only subject them to light-duty edc anyway.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #6735

in terms of usage, what kind of differences will i experience between the original VG-10 compared to the ZDP-189? am i going to actually feel any diff in light-duty edc use and occasional honing/stropping?

i'm only a beginner collector and dont have much experience with blade steels. my knives are are all 420HC or AUS8, except of coz for my delica. all the 420HC doesnt really hold its edge very well, but its easy to sharpen, which works for me as a beginner looking for an excuse to practice sharpening and stropping. plus 420HC knives are cheap for my starter collection, and i only subject them to light-duty edc anyway.
Once you sharpen it properly the first time, you probably never have to sharpen it ever again if you dont abuse it. For example, you cant use it to cut things by brute force(e.g a baked pecan nut)as you most likely chip the edge. But for opening letters, packages, cutting fruits and etc, it take extremely long to blunt...

Sharpening to a mirror edge take more than 5 hours

Last edited by squarebox; 01-07-2014 at 12:19 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.