HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #7456

Been mulling over a Shiro for a long time now... and usually my eyes home in on those designed by Sinkevich. Still hope to see a 110B floating around somewhere.. or a 111 for a liner.

Yea Worcer -- I am not sure about over rated but certainly way over priced. Looking at CanaBis now... "Selfxmas-pressie??" I think over price/rated or not-- if I spring for it, it would probably be the closest thing I can ever get to a SIDI custom Mangalor- my holy grail

Oh if anyone can clarify... while I did have a couple of flippers recently but it kinda bug me as the SPF/ICA regulations are a little unclear-- Flippers do not fall under "gravity" or any of the illegal categories right? Thanks

edit: Thanks for the welcome Vespa
I owned a shirogorov cannabis from TNK. The shirogorov Cannabis is great to use, flips great and smooth... But not for those with sweaty palms. The canvas micarta turns black very fast. You can probably find one on the secondary market for about 1200 usd now.
anvil_den likes this.
mamba2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #7457

I owned a shirogorov cannabis from TNK. The shirogorov Cannabis is great to use, flips great and smooth... But not for those with sweaty palms. The canvas micarta turns black very fast. You can probably find one on the secondary market for about 1200 usd now.
U owned? Its sold or still with you. I know its a really strange request coming from someone new.. but able to look at one would really help make or break that decision
Almost ready to spring but TNK is closed till 16th Dec... so I have a bit of cooling period

Yeah I am a little worried about micarta in our humidity. More of storage and mold over time... Also the backspacer is Micarta-- was wondering about issues of warp over time cos normally when getting stuff, I usually am a keeper rather than sell/ trade later on....

As to working with it till hands are sweaty is probably not gonna happen... still packing my usual 20 yr old cheapo EDC or other work blades like my Rajah and Emersons when out in trails and stuff.

Last edited by anvil_den; 12-12-2014 at 09:56 PM..
anvil_den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:08 PM   #7458

U owned? Its sold or still with you. I know its a really strange request coming from someone new.. but able to look at one would really help make or break that decision
Almost ready to spring but TNK is closed till 16th Dec... so I have a bit of cooling period

Yeah I am a little worried about micarta in our humidity. More of storage and mold over time... Also the backspacer is Micarta-- was wondering about issues of warp over time cos normally when getting stuff, I usually am a keeper rather than sell/ trade later on....

As to working with it till hands are sweaty is probably not gonna happen... still packing my usual 20 yr old cheapo EDC or other work blades like my Rajah and Emersons when out in trails and stuff.
I've traded it off already. Its not with me so you'll just have to take my word for it. As for the backspacer warping, i think that that's not gonna happen because there isn't alot of tensional force acting on it. Hope I helped you out a bit.
Old 13-12-2014, 12:20 AM   #7459

Thanks for all the info. Really appreciate.

I just wonder why the TNK version did a totally flat grind. Wish it was like those others they made with the profiling on the top of the blade... ok giving myself 100 reasons to find fault now and not to get one now besides thinking for the $$ shelled out-- I could get a few other nice ones

Last edited by anvil_den; 15-12-2014 at 10:53 AM..
Old 13-12-2014, 12:45 AM   #7460

You sure flip your Shiros away fast

I just wonder why the TNK version did a totally flat grind. Wish it was like those others they made with the profiling on the top of the blade... ok giving myself 100 reasons to find fault now and not to get one now besides thinking for the $$ shelled out-- I could get a few other nice ones
Tastes change. It's not about flipping them away at all. Buy what you like. It's as simple as that.
Old 13-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #7461

Been mulling over a Shiro for a long time now... and usually my eyes home in on those designed by Sinkevich. Still hope to see a 110B floating around somewhere.. or a 111 for a liner.

Yea Worcer -- I am not sure about over rated but certainly way over priced. Looking at CanaBis now... "Selfxmas-pressie??" I think over price/rated or not-- if I spring for it, it would probably be the closest thing I can ever get to a SIDI custom Mangalor- my holy grail

Oh if anyone can clarify... while I did have a couple of flippers recently but it kinda bug me as the SPF/ICA regulations are a little unclear-- Flippers do not fall under "gravity" or any of the illegal categories right? Thanks

edit: Thanks for the welcome Vespa
Flippers are not prohibited. mangalore looks nice, like a CS rajah blade, I can see your inclination. SIDIS customs are like hens teeth. Impossible to get. The SIDIS shiro collabs are your closest bet.

Btw, I have a nice Southard Avo for sale too. Flips well, is a small EDc knife, is limited and has a great blade steel.

For use on hikes, trails, etc I find fixed blades better.
anvil_den likes this.

Last edited by vespaguy; 13-12-2014 at 10:09 AM..
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #7462

You sure flip your Shiros away fast

I think the original grinds (more sabre) were for the early run. However, the original grind had belt satin finish, which is not as nice as the TNK blade. Having handled the Cannabis in person, I have to say that I like it a lot. Fits my hand like a glove and I can see myself using it.
anvil_den likes this.

Last edited by vespaguy; 13-12-2014 at 10:52 AM..
Old 13-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #7463

Tastes change. It's not about flipping them away at all. Buy what you like. It's as simple as that.
Oops sorry my bad ... The pun of it took over before I realized and remembered what "flipping" means.. Nothing negative was meant in my comment. Peace.
Old 13-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #7464

Flippers are not prohibited. mangalore looks nice, like a CS rajah blade, I can see your inclination. SIDIS customs are like hens teeth. Impossible to get. The SIDIS shiro collabs are your closest bet.

Btw, I have a nice Southard Avo for sale too. Flips well, is a small EDc knife, is limited and has a great blade steel.

For use on hikes, trails, etc I find fixed blades better.
Thanks for the headsup on flippers.

Aesthetics wise actually most time my preference is for little or no recurves, esp those with a whole dollop of belly. All my recurves are workhorse that doesnt bug me if they scratch up or chip. However SIDIS designs just somehow takes things to a diff level when looking at them. I really don't know how to express that. Really its more art than use (if in the remote chance I ever do own any)

As for the Raj I frankly find it ugly but 14-15 cross cuts to lop off 3" wet branch with no wobbly play--I got to give it a thumbs up for functionality.

Got ax and a hawk too but these or any big fixed blades are a little difficult. Everything has to go on my mid sized biking bag that also has to hold a number of other stuffs. Don't want to freak folks out with a long handle sticking out. I do hike but locally there's really nothing needed to hack away.. Its on bikes when fallen block the way or thorny overgrown vines can cause danger to unwary folks on wheels speeding along... If its an entire tree across- that is a job for the Parks people. We just inform them.

Anyway a little more about me..been a "user" all my life but not into collecting in the true sense... Branded wise.. started with an Emerson... before the days of internet. I think its a CQC6-- old logo, not like the present ones. An exchange with foreign troops training here. Of course everyone has a Buck and some bowie somewhere in their cupboard... Moving along a number of tactical came my way. Back then tactical were like the "cool" thing to have. Used whatever came my way in a previous job that sees time in the jungle/field for up to 3 months. All came to naught when moving house awhile back and most of these went missing...(still suspect its the movers but no proof). My cheapo EDCs picked up locally to some Moscow flea market were packed separately. To be frank I would be really devastated if those no name "dunno-what-steel" pieces were gone... 2 has been with me for 20 years.

More or less stopped looking until recently. Yup taste change. I don't really look at tactical anymore these days and the array of things with access to internet just blows me away. Gotta admit a lot of thing are new to me. Maybe all the "re-kindled" interest is really more of a bond with blades all my life -- and hoping to get some nice pieces to help etch in my memories of using blades all these while.
Old 13-12-2014, 04:11 PM   #7465

now that's quite a bit of a history there. CQC6 with old logo. do you mean the half moon logo? do you have a pic? does it have a wave? does it have a zero grind blade? threaded bolsters? beadblasted screws and hardware? It would be great to see a pic - you could host it on a pic sharing site and send a link...

I've also been fortunate to own a 6 in my previous life (yes, I'm an old man). but other than the whole 'Emerson badass thing', I found it quite difficult to carry, the handle sticks out a lot (typical Emerson characteristic), the customs are way too pricey these days, the zero grind is difficult to maintain other than by stropping or buffing and the for the price (today's market price that is), there's just way better folders with better steel, fit and finish and affordability.

Still, it's nice to own one and I wouldn't mind rekindling my love affair with the 6 if the price is right, which it hasn't been for the past 7-8 years.

It's nice to know that you still have those 20 year knives. Sadly I have none of mine from my early days - they were traded, sold, given away.

Yes, locally, nothing much to chop, but if you head to off the beaten trail, then sometimes, it's nice to maintain the trail and clear out the thorny vines for other trail uses. Technically though, no chopping and clearing of any trees in any locations gazetted as parks - otherwise an nparks summons will cost you $2 or is it $5k.

I mentioned once to a fellow knifeknut in this little corner that he should not ignore knives which tell a 'story', rather than just eyeing the latest and the greatest. Knives you exchange with friends, knives you buy from weird and wonderful places, knives that save your/other's lives etc. By saving it could be cutting up that piece of ham with a civilized tool rather than the edge of a tin can lol

My tastes have changed too...I use to love the 'tactical' thing but now like more traditional materials like wood - I mean, who cares much for an uncle on a scooter looking behaving like Rambo/Orang Asli/William Wallace/Musashi/Osama?

Last edited by vespaguy; 14-12-2014 at 02:32 AM..
Old 13-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #7466

btw Mamba, here's a pic for you. Haft is curly maple with brass tacks and that's black bear fur adorning the haft

anvil_den and mamba2012 like this.

Last edited by vespaguy; 13-12-2014 at 05:44 PM..
Old 13-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #7467

Back before internet days and smart phones- aka "no picture snapping at everything" era. Lol, talk about old. I'll see if I can find some yellowing print of me with it...

It predates the wave for sure cos by the time Waves debut I was already back in civilian life.

Well back then Emersons were "the blades" within certain circles but it wasn't really until I started reading that I realize what I had lost. But you are right, as a working tool... it is lacking compared to newer steels and models. But as a piece of history that's a whole different story.

On usage locally.. no I don't chop anything that is growing.. Its almost always the clearing of dead fallen stuff esp in this monsoon season. Those are allowed. Many a time the removed fallen are then used in places to pad up against muddy eroded sections to help maintain the trails without further damages. I'm totally against those indiscriminate clearing by ignoramus or those that have lesser skills and need to clear so that they can ride or move along in the trail... its a constant game of rock chess with them putting things back in place to minimize erosion.

Ok I'll probably be back to lurking and reading mostly.. lest it keep exposing my less than knowledgeable aspects on all things blade related
vespaguy likes this.

Last edited by anvil_den; 13-12-2014 at 05:13 PM..
Old 13-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #7468

Back before internet days and smart phones- aka "no picture snapping at everything" era. Lol, talk about old. I'll see if I can find some yellowing print of me with it...

It predates the wave for sure cos by the time Waves debut I was already back in civilian life.

Well back then Emersons were "the blades" within certain circles but it wasn't really until I started reading that I realize what I had lost. But you are right, as a working tool... it is lacking compared to newer steels and models. But as a piece of history that's a whole different story.

On usage locally.. no I don't chop anything that is growing.. Its almost always the clearing of dead fallen stuff esp in this monsoon season. Those are allowed. Many a time the removed fallen are then used in places to pad up against muddy eroded sections to help maintain the trails without further damages. I'm totally against those indiscriminate clearing b ignoramus or those that have lesser skills... its a constant game of rock chess with them putting things back in place to minimize erosion.

Ok I'll probably be back to lurking and reading mostly.. lest it keep exposing my less than knowledgeable aspects on all things blade related
anvil, please do not lurk. post and share - views, thoughts, memories. I started posting in this little corner for exactly the same reason - I was reading and I noticed many were interested but didn't have 'catalysts' to encourage them to enjoy at a deeper level. There's so much to be shared in this interesting hobby/inclination - call it what you will.

I agree with you about indiscriminate clearing/chopping. Some trails are ok to clear, some aren't. Something that baffles me is that bamboo doesn't seem to grow as readily in our reserves - I have no idea why. There are clumps of bamboo that just don't seem to grow healthily.

Speaking of trails, I hope nparks improves trails at BT. By that I don't mean make it more like ECP but leave it as raw and natural as possible (wishful thinking, perhaps?). The steps for eg should be demolished, to be replaced with rocky, mossy, rooty slopes. Areas designated for MINDEF use only should be re-designated for civilian use, but responsible and sustainable use. Waterways should be cleaned up and perhaps even excavated for more water flow, and native fish reintroduced. Fishing groups should be educated (both locals and foreigners) on sustainability. Biking groups too - I know, I was a regular biker once, and so many of the trails are torn up by bikers. Wildlife scared away. Ok...I ramble too much ....blame it on the deluge

Last edited by vespaguy; 13-12-2014 at 05:44 PM..
Old 13-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #7469

The hiking trails at BT are presently closed and worked on as there has been too much erosion over the years... this has led hikers overflowing on the biking trail that fringes the perimeter. Its the usual hiker vs biker war again but only more intensified. I stay away from all the bashing talks.. just educate folks when I can. The whole BT biking trail has been reworked to be sustainable and lessen impacts- that is why now many are watching out for all those rock chess players that keep moving things away and cause damages. So you remember Butterfly? Its now legal and is a shared trail.

Over at Dairy Farm there are now 2 new trails starting work. Chat with the contractor indicate its 6km one for bike and another for hike. On one hand that is good news for regular trail users like me but hope it doesn't destroy too much. Its gonna end or some parts actually will be near that "Animal Bridge" spanning across BKE...

Ok before getting back to things edged.. There aren't many bamboo that can grow well in nature reserve and usually its on the fringe. Those that thrives in understory like creeping bamboo are getting rarer as times goes by.

Last edited by anvil_den; 13-12-2014 at 09:46 PM..
Old 13-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #7470

Bikers vs hikers lol. I've been on both sides. Not enough good trails, that's the problem. And too many illegal trails. You're right on the money on bamboo. It should be a sustainable resource but most of it fringes mindef areas!
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.