HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

EDMW Knife Collectors

Like Tree1304Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #7561

Matched Leuku & Puukko set

Up for show today (and it's looking for a new home too) is my matchin Leuku & Puukko set. Leuku is a larger camp knife used by the Sami people in Lapland. It has traditionally larger handles, a wider, longer and thicker blade but is not quite the same as a parang in application or blade dynamics - it's basically a bigger knife to handle heavier and larger chores, compared to the puukko. The Laplanders rely on good tools to see them through harsh long winters. Those long winters are no joke.

Handles are African Wenge with an awesome surface texturing, hardware is stippled brass and hammered brass for the collars. It will age very nicely.

The Leuku features a handforged 9" Anti Makkinen blade, scandi grind and razor sharp of course. The Puukko features a forged 'sanmai' or sandwich blade by Karlo Ban with a silversteel core (that's great stuff). More of a droppoint than the typical puukko profile.

Both knives were made by Barbudo .

I cannot say better things about the texture of the Wenge handles (and yes, real Wenge doesn't always look like that horrible fake laminates we see adorning the Zen style cabinetry of 10 years ago, lol).

Please contact me if you are keen to take over custody of this set...I'm asking for only 400usd via PayPal, plus fees. (Updated) If I split it up, I'll keep the puukko as that holds some sentimental value to me.

sojourn88 likes this.

Last edited by vespaguy; 08-03-2015 at 12:28 PM..
vespaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #7562

Selling my knife

Hi guys,

Am looking to sell my SOG Kiku Large Fixed with Black Blade for S$230. In mint condition comes with sheath and warranty.

Also selling my United Cutlery Navy Seal Knife for S$50. Comes with sheath.

Prices are competitive to Amazon's.

Do PM me or send an email to my njxchris@ hotmail.com if interested.

Thanks!
TheBUSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #7563
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi guys,

Am looking to sell my SOG Kiku Large Fixed with Black Blade for S$230. In mint condition comes with sheath and warranty.

Thanks!
Knifecenter sell 169 USD only leh... Sorry but i just got to say.
worcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 10:23 PM   #7564

Knifecenter sell 169 USD only leh... Sorry but i just got to say.
Hahhaha I know but if you actually add shipping plus current exchange rate which is rising by the way my price is actually lower. Price negotiable
Old 17-01-2015, 12:16 AM   #7565

Hahhaha I know but if you actually add shipping plus current exchange rate which is rising by the way my price is actually lower. Price negotiable
Min shipping from KC is now Usd27. And present exchange rate is USD1:SGD1.33

Prices are going up as compared to 6months ago, I'm not familiar with the model though.
Old 17-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #7566

Sup guys, ive this stiletto, not sure what material but ive a feeling its some steel or smth. Its been getting rust and some corrosion i think? Or more of oxidation since its dark brown in colour. Anything i can use to remove these stains and maintain the stiletto?
gary92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #7567
Arch-Supremacy Member

May i know where to get mineral oil locally? Besides mineral oil, any other alternative?
Akai Ryu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 09:39 PM   #7568

Sup guys, ive this stiletto, not sure what material but ive a feeling its some steel or smth. Its been getting rust and some corrosion i think? Or more of oxidation since its dark brown in colour. Anything i can use to remove these stains and maintain the stiletto?
Most of the time, Autosol and some elbow grease would repair it but it all depends on how bad the rust is.
Old 18-01-2015, 12:45 AM   #7569

Most of the time, Autosol and some elbow grease would repair it but it all depends on how bad the rust is.
Ah okay. The metal is somewhat greyish in colour, so im not sure if autosol would be a thing to use since its like a metal polish?
gary92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 02:28 AM   #7570
High Supremacy Member

can use autosol to remove rust from SS but if you keep polishing, it will give the surface a shine mirror finish.
cannotliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 07:51 AM   #7571

Try rust removers, vinegar, coke or scrubbing with WD40. Depends on how bad the rust is. Autosol works but polishes the metal. You can go to hardware shops. Basically you want a mild acid to dissolve the rust but not till it etches the metal.

May i know where to get mineral oil locally? Besides mineral oil, any other alternative?
IKEA. only $5 for big bottle.
Old 18-01-2015, 12:47 PM   #7572

Hi guys,

Thanks!
Hi Guys! Offer is still open so do PM me if interested. Prices negotiable. Thanks
Old 18-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #7573

Ah okay. The metal is somewhat greyish in colour, so im not sure if autosol would be a thing to use since its like a metal polish?
In trying to remove the rust, you are bound to affect the "greyish" metal of the blade.
This is what happened to one of my knives, after I tried various methods to remove the rust, including using Autosol, WD40 and fine grit sand paper, etc.
After removing the rust, the blade's sheen/colour was not uniform. I then soaked the blade in coke for about 12 hours; rinsed with water and dried.
This resulted in a greyish-black patina, which looked good. The patina also protects against rust.
viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #7574

you have more than 100posts so perhaps you can post a pic, you can host it on one of the free photosharing sites - it'll be easier to identify/know how bad the rust looks. When you say 'greyish' - do you mean it is beadblasted (matt) or satin/polished? also, is it carbon steel, stainless steel, an antique, what is the value etc. For antiques, you really don't want to remove anything but arrest the rust. Restoration may hurt its value. There are lots of youtube videos showing the use of vinegar, baking soda etc on rust removal.
Old 18-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #7575
Arch-Supremacy Member

can use autosol to remove rust from SS but if you keep polishing, it will give the surface a shine mirror finish.
Try rust removers, vinegar, coke or scrubbing with WD40. Depends on how bad the rust is. Autosol works but polishes the metal. You can go to hardware shops. Basically you want a mild acid to dissolve the rust but not till it etches the metal.

IKEA. only $5 for big bottle.
Thanks! Not sure if it makes sense but im trying to find food grade mineral oil

Edited: seems like the ikea mineral oil is a safe bet for knife which might be needed for food preparation !

http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/00170993/?preferedui=desktop

Last edited by Akai Ryu; 18-01-2015 at 04:03 PM..
Akai Ryu is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.